jackiemarie

EMS vs the other built-in Android security

EMS and Lookout are both installed on my LG Leon.  I knew Lookout was there, but when I purchased EAM, I also purchased the EMS because I trust EMS.  I've been just a little befuddled about having both security programs active on the same smartphone, and then yesterday, a Lookout email appears in gmail alerting me to a "Stagefright" vulnerability.  I've no notion as to the legitimacy of this notice (I'm assuming Lookout has my email address because having a gmail account is required for Android).  I'm aware when the Lookout notice comes across the smartphone that "Lookout has completed a scan and there's no malware on your phone", but I have never registered at Lookout, nor given any permissions - the program came pre-installed).

Do I leave Lookout on the smartphone or should I uninstall because EMS is installed?  (EMS does not run scans as I understand it; they do scan a new app, and a notice appears that it is clean.) Also, is anyone aware of the "Stagefright" thing?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jackiemarie

Dear Jackiemarie,

Thank you for contacting our support.

We do not recommend to run another security app on your mobile device simultaneously as it could lead to troubles anytime. Emsisoft Mobile Security performs automatic scans when a new app is installed but you can start a scan manually as well.

Stagefright is a bug on Android, you can find a lot of info about it on the internet for example here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagefright_(bug)

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-07/27/stagefight-android-bug

Thank you for using our software solutions! Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me again.