iWarren

Suggestion: EIS - Filename Column + Form Design

In the EIS "Application rules" it displays the full path in the "Filename" column.

Sometimes I go looking for a particular file and have to scan through the pathways to find it.

My suggestion is to seperate the path from the filename in a column.

I realize that it does this in "behaviour blocker" but I typically spend most of my time in application rules.

Also... if i understand correctly, behaviour blocker just links you to application rules,

so could we also not consolidate both of these into the same window?

I realize that behaviour blocker shows additional information like "monitored/reputation/company" but these could easily

be added to the application rules columns as well.

Another thing... I know you probably won't like this idea, but i think the Overview could be taken out entirely

as you can navigate everywhere you need to go, from the tabs at the top. I believe everyone typically spends

most their time in the "Protection" window to begin with.

Quarantine could be placed in SCAN, as its a byproduct of scanning.

i realize you probably wont like the idea of taking out the overview, i just think the design could be minimized,

even if you brought the overview down to just the essential tabs, i think it would be a sleeker design.

then when you click on the tabs... it could resize the windows height to a larger view.

If you're interested i could give you some graphics illustrating what i have in mind.

In the EIS "Application rules" it displays the full path in the "Filename" column.

Sometimes I go looking for a particular file and have to scan through the pathways to find it.

Why not typing in part of the name in the quick search bar if you want to look up a particular file?

i'm not sure, other than its less physical effort to remain in a point-click mode, opposed to switching to keyboard.

honestly sometimes i just forget the search bar is even there.

On 8/25/2015 at 11:52 AM, iWarren said:

Also... if i understand correctly, behaviour blocker just links you to application rules,

so could we also not consolidate both of these into the same window?

I realize that behaviour blocker shows additional information like "monitored/reputation/company" but these could easily

be added to the application rules columns as well.

I noticed my suggestion came to fruition on the last update... I was hesitant at appreciating it, until i realized
this was partly my idea.

I really do like the idea that its all in one centralized location, and I think you will find that this streamlines the process.

When I went to use it, I did find 2 cons though, that would really simplify the process further.

#1.  Often times, i have applications that I trust.... but only to an extent.

This leads to my behaviour, of 'Trusting' the program... and then setting it to a 'monitored' or 'blocked' status after use.
       or, setting it to a 'monitored' status, and then maybe changing it to a 'blocked' status when it has completed its task or i'm
       done using it.

The problem though, is that if the program is not running... I no longer have access to the application I want to change
       the rule to.  (Unless of course I used "Add Application", which would not be a good long-term solution.)

So a good suggestion... is to have a checkbox on the top right "Show Only Running Tasks", which would be checked by default,
       and when unchecked... it would show all Application Rules.

I believe Application Rules had something similar with "Show Only Trusted Programs"
       So a carry-over from application rules... I think is necessary... to correct the
       consolidation between these 2 windows.

#2. Not so much a con, as much as a feature suggestion... one that OA V9 had in the past.
     Is the ability to select multiple entries and change multiple settings at once.

For example, I want to select many lines of the Behavior Blocker, and change them to
     either "Blocked", "Monitored", or "Trusted"

Please note, this is a feature I want to see specifically in the "Emsisoft Anti-malware" program.

To address #1 further.

There is one solution I had in mind, I think it may have been shot down in the past
with the rhetoric "This program is not for advanced users"

One way to solve my behavior of changing a programs status from one state to another,
is to have a timer based setup... ie. Let the user decide "how long" before changing from
one state to another.

I am pretty sure the timer based option would be off the table... but a compromise, might
be to add a 4th option to the "Trusted" , "Monitored", "Blocked"  and that would be.... an

"Ask each time" option.  Which would let you put the program into 1 of those 3 states, until
it was run again.