Lode

Microsoft Spying

Hi.

These these days a lot of discussion is going on about the spying MS does now through Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

For Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 MS even brought out special updates for their "Telemetry" spying. MS is gathering very personal private data that way it turns out.

I solved the issue -I think- by removing update KB3044374 and hiding that update so it will not be downloaded again.

The same -for good measure- I did with KB3068708 and KB3083325 which I still found in Recommended updates.

Since then I've not seen "diagtrackrunner.exe" any more. I use Glasswire to monitor my connections, and found this issue addressed here: http://grandstreamdreams.blogspot.nl/

There is a host of other updates that some websites recommend be deleted. (See links in the article.) So I did. But while the first one mentioned above (KB3044374) was still there "diagtrackrunner.exe" would still appear on my Glasswire monitor. Only after getting rid of that one did that tracker not appear again, as said.

I emailed Glaswire about the possibility of blocking it, and they replied:

"We have also been studying the Microsoft Telemetry data and how to stop it and currently it's unclear how to do so. We'll continue to investigate and hopefully write a blog post about it soon."

The way I deleted the already installed updates mentioned on those websites was by going to Control Panel > Programs > Unistall a program > in the top right corner I copy/pasted -or typed in- the respective updates, including the letters KB before the number.

If I see them appear again I'll hide those also. That is the reason I have "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" set in Windows updates.

PS:

What does MS actually collect now?

"According to the agreement, the OS will save your Bing searches, private email content and the apps you access, as well as "your typed and handwritten words".

Microsoft says the data is being collected to personalize the OS.

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services", Microsoft said in its recently updated new terms of services agreement."

"However, we do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you", Microsoft’s privacy statement reads."

So "your typed and handwritten words" is a keylogger.

They also collect our Skype conversations, which falls under "video calls": 

http://betanews.com/2015/08/06/microsoft-windows-10-collects-users-private-information-but-not-for-ads/

So it is not done for advertising. Indeed not:

The Guardian: "Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

For Windows 10 this might help:

"Stop Windows 10 Telemetry and Other Data Collection"

http://news.softpedia.com/news/stop-windows-10-telemetry-and-other-data-collecting-489571.shtml

Although:

"Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can’t stop talking to Microsoft"

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

I have a question. Sorry I have to put it in this forum, but it is related to this subject..

I own a senior's web forum and we do have a small computer help section..

But my question is: Yesterday I admitted a new member called emsisoft profile show to be female. Did an excellent post, related to Microsoft spying, the link back goes to Emsisoft home page blog..

I am wondering if this is a real person or a bot. Even the email address goes back to emsisoft.. Just seems a little strange for a big company to be doing anything like this..

If I have posted in the wrong forum, you do have my permission to move it..

Thanks..

Ron..

Hello Ron,

Could you please include the link to the post so we can investigate this? Please send us also the email address that was used to register, that way we can verify if this is legitimate or not).

I have a question. Sorry I have to put it in this forum, but it is related to this subject..

I own a senior's web forum and we do have a small computer help section..

But my question is: Yesterday I admitted a new member called emsisoft profile show to be female. Did an excellent post, related to Microsoft spying, the link back goes to Emsisoft home page blog..

I am wondering if this is a real person or a bot. Even the email address goes back to emsisoft.. Just seems a little strange for a big company to be doing anything like this..

If I have posted in the wrong forum, you do have my permission to move it..

Thanks..

Ron..

Hello Binkie. Sorry for making you wonder. I got registered to give a (lame) start to Emsisoft presence on seniors worldwide. I thought the article I linked to could add something to the discussion. Yet I'm not going to use the account to pitch every article on Emsisoft blog. I'm looking forward to making meaningful contributions to online safety discussions where requested or appropriate if you don't mind.

Hello Binkie. Sorry for making you wonder. I got registered to give a (lame) start to Emsisoft presence on seniors worldwide. I thought the article I linked to could add something to the discussion. Yet I'm not going to use the account to pitch every article on Emsisoft blog. I'm looking forward to making meaningful contributions to online safety discussions where requested or appropriate if you don't mind.

Thank you Anastasia.. I was a little concern, due to spammers. I kind of thought you were legit after tracking things down..

I am happy to have you on our board, I appreciate the articles posted..

We try our best to stay on top of computer related articles.. 

Feel free to post your articles..

Thanks..

Ron (Binkie)

Emsisoft did a good newsletter on basic privacy on windows 10.

can be found here: http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/09/02/the-truth-about-windows-10-spying-on-almost-everything-you-do/

they listed a program which automatically disables intrusive features of windows 10

can be found here: http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

disabling cortana was a  first for me, it seemed cool to have a voice controlled computer, but seeing as cortana saves all of the voice recordings i found it to be rather intrusive. ph34r.png

That's the thing, people don't care if they aren't affected. Everyone blames Microsoft for privacy issues, even though Apple could be thrown in the same basket (even Google) but they receive far less rant online than Microsoft and Windows 10.

That's the thing, people don't care if they aren't affected. Everyone blames Microsoft for privacy issues, even though Apple could be thrown in the same basket (even Google) but they receive far less rant online than Microsoft and Windows 10.

Agreed to some extent, unfortunately you have to accept the fact your information gets harvested and sold on by using a search engine, Or the fact that google voice search is logged or windows and apple spy on its users constantly, there's no escaping it... The majority if not all here would use windows, (as far as i am aware there isn't a mac version of Emsisoft) that's probably why the discussion isn't about Siri or whatever other mac products. 

You could always use an alternative search engine like Duck-Duck-Go instead of Google or Bing.

And as for operating system the only other option for pure privacy is Linux..

Also using a VPN for encryption and anonymous searching is a good for better privacy- If used correctly.

Even tough Android and iOS devices dominates the smartphone market? Anyone have who have a smartphone (even a Windows one) is affected. Yet a lot of users seems not to care, but only care about their computer running Windows. Even OS X's Finder feature was blamed for privacy issues some time ago.

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/how-to-fix-os-x-yosemite-search/

@Aura

Yeah it is sad but there is the attitude of "I have nothing to hide, so why should I care".

Only until you find out what there really is going for you do you realize that the world is a kind of draconian place.

You can be speaking about weddings on facebook chat and then 2 seconds later have a load of adverts for weddings .etc.

It's not fair and I don't agree with it, but if people still use their service they can add whatever they want to the infamous of terms of service.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2010/04/15/online-shoppers-unknowingly-sold-souls/

This is  quite interesting/funny , they decided to pull a prank to see who would notice...

Found some more. See top in GlasWire list. (Left thumbnail.)

Looked it up online to see what its name was from "SQM Consolidator." Turns out to be "wsqmcons.exe" EIS is blocking it now. I had to refresh my system, and this appeared while the other 2 on EIS' list I had it block before (thumbnails posted above) disappeared. 

post-4144-0-45473300-1446947321_thumb.png
Download Image

post-4144-0-86979900-1446947352_thumb.png
Download Image

emsisoft has a great program , I,m hoping to get it on my hp 2000 laptop, and I most appreciate the care and concern being shown in regards to getting people up and running and in quest of truly secure business operations with that being said ,I,m about to dump Microsoft forever ,

been through 95 ,98, xp, 7, and 8, 8.1 , totally revolting exploitive enterprise , though I do like what I see in Linux variants.

can I get a seriously secure Linux Debian or Suse to run with the emsisoft professional perhaps with a vpn and sandbox

whatever it takes to stop the exploits , the asset stripping , of multi-millions and the criminality that evolves from the thefts and lives

of friends family and partners ,most people say what do I care spy guy, most people have never been up against a serious spy vs spy cloak and dagger rip off, the losses have been in the billions and some 30 people , few people realize their have been over 347 mass shootings since 2015, usa terrorism business alone. most point to government vendettas against race, invention, or perhaps one of the 5 custom manmade extinction level events .

I,ll never trust the Microsoft business model since their colluding in major genocides , such as india now sueing against gates vaccines program.

as a senior research environmentalist, I seen it all, and it makes me very sad to see things like the pacific fukishima going down.  

and the lately 340 large whales dead in south America , nobody secure and everything at war status. sadistic world in an open society ??

whistleblowing journalism is one of the most important events we have to protect our world , this is no joke , been there done that

SOS secure systems Linux bsd debian emisoft  vpn sandox what should I do , best wishes joe