megaman

Memory usage.

I normally don't argue with the delays on the program starting, but things don't add up, right, anymore. I would open A-squared free and I would question why it won't initialize. I would check on Task Manager since the computer is running slow and I notice that a2service.exe is hogging up the memory and CPU usage. The problem begins there, where I would End Task on the a2service.exe and A-squared Free appears, but when I try to check for updates I get the error "Could not connect to the update server..." I would restart A-squared Free to see that the memory hogs up again, and I keep doing this rhythmically until the programs does begin to update (This can be from 1 to many repetitions). Also, another problem involves after updating A-squared, where the hogging begins again, just to get the prompt "You have successfully updated..." when I terminate the a2service. Any solution?

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit Service Pack 2

AMD Processors (X2) Dual-Core QL 64 2.10 GHz

3 Gigs of Ram (Max Readable) with 6 Gigs Virtual Memory

Real-Time protection from AVAST!

Windows Firewall

Megagman - welcome to the forum.

Definitely something funny happening there. Emsisoft Anti-Malware memory usage on my machine is as follows:

Make sure that Avast is configured to exclude A2 Free from monitoring. Make sure that your firewall rules allow A2-Free unfettered access to the Internet. Also, make sure that none of Avast's real-time guard(s) are running when A2-Free is being used.

The update issue is known.

Finally, please do not write posts entirely in italics. It makes them difficult to read.

Please let us know how you get on trying the above.

Hi megaman, welcome to the forum

The memory usage as shown by you is completely normal.

It can jump even further up when updating or scanning (~200MB).

Please search this and old forum for related threads or as if you cannot find those discussions.

We can provide the references.

As for connection problem - that is most likely unrelated issue.

Currently it is going fine … there were recent problems reported by some users located in US

But that should be fixed now. Usually it is just server overload or temporary server problems.

Are you running as Admin or under Limited user account?

If you are running with the account having full admin rights you can disable the service

and please tell how that goes

note: that is possible for Admin and free addition only !

Then can you please try temporarily disable Avast and irrespectively check if there any rules/ blocking created by Avast silently

Please remove and recreate those rules if any.

You can Exclude Emsisoft and all its related components from monitoring by Avast

Since you are using native windows Firewall currently I cannot tell that there should be any related problems regarding blockings Emsisoft components

Please try as suggested above and tell us the result

Sure we completely rely on the fact that you don't have any other real-time security running in the background according to you report

Finally, was it your 1st attempt to install/run/update Emsisoft or that was going fine previously but then somehow changed?

My regards

p.s.

{added} H_D - as usual - typing at the same time :)

megaman, If there are some "duplicates" in suggestions given by H_D, please follow his advices ... but as can see there are few things for you to test in addition

I first like to apologize for the font of my choosing, as it is my style. Thank you for the quick response, btw.

This only occurs during updating, since I know that it's normal during scans.

I did look around the new forums and found one that involved this problem but it was about finding a malware, although I didn't overlook the old forum. If references expedite a solution it would help a lot. I wouldn't put anything towards AVAST!, since it's never been an issue before, but updates/upgrades can change the rules for that matter. Since my connection is stable, it's not a connection issue or I wouldn't be able to connect to a website, update other programs online, etc. It happens when I initialize the program. I disabled UAC, long ago, so it's not limiting me and I am the Admin.

As for the tests:

Even then I still get the high memory usage when I use "Run as administrator."

I completely shut off Avast! through the services and that didn't change anything towards the case.

The Windows Firewall doesn't intervene as I allow A-squared, or it would affect my other programs as well. I added all the programs on the A-squared folder to the exception list, yet I still see the memory usage issue along with the program failing to initialize until I remove the a2service.exe

The other thing that is providing security, but I don't really note it, is Advanced System Care which I disabled.

Actually, before reformatting I had delays on the program but it wasn't too time lapsed that something was a miss. Same programs as before, so that didn't change much.

Edit: Okay, so I forgot another culprit. I also have A-squared Malware installed so could that be a problem too? I mean, even with it disabled I still get that memory hogging from Free.

a2service.exe consumes larger RAM than I have expected.We should take physical memory and virtual memory as a whole.

luckily a2service.exe(a2 free) only takes about 3MB RAM on my windows7.I wonder If on windows vista I'll take higher memory.

I think resident a2service.exe is not essential for a2 free since it just a on-demand

sacnner...no real-time shield.

Thanks for reply, megaman and additional info provided

...The other thing that is providing security, but I don't really note it, is Advanced System Care which I disabled...
please be sure that you disabled it properly... or even uninstall completely at least until the issue is a bit more clear meaning that you do not have anything that may possibly interfere

Probably you will need to consult the respective forum regarding Advanced System Care. Most of the Security now have special cleaning Utilities (there could be leftovers after "ordinary" Add/Remove uninstallation).

...Edit: Okay, so I forgot another culprit. I also have A-squared Malware installed so could that be a problem too? I mean, even with it disabled I still get that memory hogging from Free.

Thanks for this addition as well

The services used by both should be present.

Despite they (2 a2service.EXEs) are residing in different directories and running/managed by the System separately - Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM) has to be running all the time being active.

I would strongly suggest at this point uninstall one of them (currently EAM full version),again for making a whole picture clearer.

My regards

Problem solved. I wouldn't know what would corrupt the program, but it wasn't corrupt before. I can think of many reasons, but for now A-squared seems fixed.

I uninstalled AVAST!, A-squared Malware, and Iobit Advanced System Care.

I did them one at a time, where I would uninstall, test and see if it helped. If that didn't work, I would just restart the computer and test again. None of those programs helped.

I just decided to reinstall A-squared Free and it seemed to be fixed.

I use Revo to uninstall, btw.

Also, it does hog up memory but it's to load it. This wasn't much of an issue because as the memory hogged the UI quickly appeared and the memory trimmed again. I did notice the updating making the memory go up, but that's normal as I was told.

Accidentally quoted myself and can't seem to find the delete button.

Edited by Lynx
the quote was removed by user's request

Hi megaman,

I just edited the "accidental" self-quoting :) .

There is a limit 30min for editing... not a big deal.

As for previous other reply - mainly congrats!

and thanks for letting us know.

Regarding suggested uninstallations of other security & EAM I still believe that the conflict (not a memory usage) was there.

Reinstallation of the Emsisoft Free edition was in the queue of the suggestions ;)

It could be even blocking/flagging of some components belonging to a2 , & therefore "corruption", especially if you have "auto-" settings in other security. How many time that happened with many major players - Avast included (see this thread & reference)

Anyway it's hard to tell now , but we are glad that you are back in business

Cheers!