ilowe

OA to security suite comments and questions

I have been a paid up user of Online Armor Premium for years. For antivirus I changed over to Emsisoft Antimalware a few years ago, after working through huge problems uninstalling other security products. More than once I had to use Safe mode. This means that I am understandably nervous about changing security software. In my experience I have a 50% chance of a major problem, and 100% chance of minor problems.

OA recently protested, I needed a licence upgrade. So I went online and got it, with some nice discounts. Thankyou. Then I discovered to my horror the new licence would not be accepted -- it was valid only for the suite. So I took the major risk of upgrading the OA program, from version 5 to version 7. (The first use of my 50%). Still no joy. So I tried to change to free mode, and no joy. In fact, OA would no longer load at boot, and when forcibly loaded, would unload after an hour or so.

At that point I contacted technical support, and I have to say they have been extremely helpful. Thanks.

1. I wanted to run OA in free mode, with the antimalware program. This option was not possible.

2. I could not find on the web a detailed description of the firewall part of the suite. Even reviews tended to concentrate on the virus stuff, which I knew well from the related product. Can anyone help?

3. I cannot find on the web a list of the features of OA premium, and how they are deleted/replaced, and maybe enhanced, in the suite. Can anyone help?

4. First I made a system restore point. Only then, I did as tech help said: uninstall OA and reboot twice. Then uninstall EAM and reboot. Then I hit a problem in the install. It said that hotfix KB2958399 was needed. Help! I had no protection (unless Windows firewall etc had kicked in) and I was supposed to sort that out? I took the risk of using Windows Update, and did not find it in the list of proposed patches, the essential list and the less-essential list. So I installed the suite anyway. So far, few problems. This was the second time I took a 50% risk.

5. I was very annoyed to find that the program had installed in the default language of the computer. The suite did not even give me the option, even though I think it did ask for the language of installation. Surely this is a well known computing bad-practice. I know people for instance who do not know Japanese, but get their computers in Japan. They rely on being able to choose the language of the program *at the point of installation* not later. Fortunately, I read French, and was able to change it.

6. I had already found on another thread a list of suggested changes to make to settings. I went through all that.

Phew. So far so good. Past the major risk stage.

Now for minor problems. I found that the language bar had disappeared. I have set the part, bottom right with the clock, to display the icons of all running programs that belong here. I googled the language bar and managed to get it back using the control centre and by re-asserting that I wanted four different keyboard layouts. This is not the first time that a new program has knocked out my language toolbar.

I hope this commentary helps some others.

2. I could not find on the web a detailed description of the firewall part of the suite. Even reviews tended to concentrate on the virus stuff, which I knew well from the related product. Can anyone help?

There isn't really a "detailed description" of the firewall features in Emsisoft Internet Security. We've tried to keep them relatively simple in order to make the firewall more friendly to the average user, so there isn't a lot there to be detailed about. You can find short descriptions of the features in the help file, accessible by clicking the question mark in the upper-right corner of the Emsisoft Internet Security window.

3. I cannot find on the web a list of the features of OA premium, and how they are deleted/replaced, and maybe enhanced, in the suite. Can anyone help?

There isn't a detailed list of the features in Online Armor (free or premium). There's so many features that I don't think any single person could list all of them to begin with. I can say for certain that most of the features in Online Armor are not present in Emsisoft Internet Security. Here's a quick rundown of basic differences, however this is nowhere near a complete list:

• Application control functions are handled by the Behavior Blocker, which is the same technology used in Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Rules for what applications are allowed to run and what applications are allowed to access the Internet are all merged together in the "Application Rules" in Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Advanced firewall logging is only saved in debug logs, and like Emsisoft Anti-Malware there is no toggle to turn on debug logging in the application's UI (this is done by editing a registry entry and restarting the computer).
  • Global firewall rules (such as port rules) are configured in a separate location.
  • There is no option to uninstall the firewall from within Emsisoft Internet Security's UI.
  • There is no "Banking Mode" in Emsisoft Internet Security (this feature wasn't quite as useful as it seemed to begin with), and thus no Domains List.
  • Emsisoft Internet Security doesn't have a place to view graphs of network activity or a list of open connections from running processes (Windows has built-in tools that do essentially the same thing).

4. First I made a system restore point. Only then, I did as tech help said: uninstall OA and reboot twice. Then uninstall EAM and reboot. Then I hit a problem in the install. It said that hotfix KB2958399 was needed. Help! I had no protection (unless Windows firewall etc had kicked in) and I was supposed to sort that out? I took the risk of using Windows Update, and did not find it in the list of proposed patches, the essential list and the less-essential list. So I installed the suite anyway. So far, few problems. This was the second time I took a 50% risk.

The hotfix is necessary on Windows 7 to prevent a BSoD/system crash issue caused by a bug in Windows. People usually see the issue most often when using Google Chrome, however it can happen any time that a network connection is terminated and a program then tries to send data over that terminated network connection.

5. I was very annoyed to find that the program had installed in the default language of the computer. The suite did not even give me the option, even though I think it did ask for the language of installation. Surely this is a well known computing bad-practice. I know people for instance who do not know Japanese, but get their computers in Japan. They rely on being able to choose the language of the program *at the point of installation* not later. Fortunately, I read French, and was able to change it.

I'll ask our QA Manager about where the language setting is supposed to come from.

Now for minor problems. I found that the language bar had disappeared. I have set the part, bottom right with the clock, to display the icons of all running programs that belong here. I googled the language bar and managed to get it back using the control centre and by re-asserting that I wanted four different keyboard layouts. This is not the first time that a new program has knocked out my language toolbar.

We don't edit anything to do with the language bar during installation, so it's probably an issue with Windows 7 that caused it to disappear.

Thanks. helpful.

Concerning the hotfix. Strangely, after posting this I did experience a (hopefully rare) case of a sudden stop, of the 0x00000A etc type. I was asleep when that happened. My question. If Windows update does not offer me KB2958399 is there anything I need to do about it?

I think it happened because I was experimenting with an external wireless connection on my desktop, and, this often goes to sleep when the internet is not used, so, and updater  would not connect. 

My question. If Windows update does not offer me KB2958399 is there anything I need to do about it?

The hotfix needs to be downloaded and installed manually. Microsoft does not distribute it through Windows Update (they seem to think that this hotfix is only needed when Microsoft SQL Server is installed, and thus don't put it on Windows Update).

More information and a way to download the hotfix can be found here.