teach1st

After Emsisoft update this morning, its Firewall isn't working

After this morning's Emsisoft Internet Security program update, which required a restart on Windows 10 Pro, its firewall was inactive. There appears to be no way to activate the firewall now. I've tried to activate it through the program itself, through the tray icon, and through the Windows warning that I have no firewall. In addition, the start menu and Cortana have returned error messages, and Action Center is no longer working.

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try reinstalling after I get my work is done. Cortana was disabled, but even then the process runs in the background. I have found no way to end the process for more than a few minutes.

As far as I know there was no program update today which required a Windows restart.

Did you do anything different beforehand?

Did you enable beta updates perhaps?

Which build of EIS did you have?

After uninstalling, rebooting, installing (I had to delete the Emsisoft program folder to do so), and a final restart, Emsisoft seems to be all there and working like it should, version 10.0.0.5641.

Here is an example of the installation errors before deleting the Emsisoft program folder. Remember, I had uninstalled. None of the *.sys files that couldn't be replaced were running in memory. Emsisoft could always install into that folder before.

emsisoft-install-errors.jpg

Lets start by trying the following:

• Hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type in control netconnections and click OK.
  • Right-click on the network adapter, and select Properties.
  • Look for the Emsisoft Network Filter or Emsisoft NDIS packet filter in the list.
  • If you find one of them, click on it to select it, and click on the Uninstall button (if both are there, then do this one at a time for each of them).
After that, lets try getting a log from FRST, and see if it shows anything that could be causing issues. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.