Sign in to follow this  
crasey

Intermittent Internal Processing Error after wakeup on Vista

Beginning 9/21 I've been experiencing an "Internal Processing Error. Contact Support" error intermittently when EIS autoupdates after wakeup on my 32 bit Vista laptop running EIS 10.0.0.5641.

When the error appears all attempts to update fail until I either restart the laptop or logoff and logon again. The failed updates that generate the "Internal Processing Error" message don't appear in the attached update log. The only setting I changed from the EIS defaults is the update interval which is currently set at 4hrs.

This issue should be fixed in the latest beta updates. If you would like to try the beta, then here's what to do:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, select the option for Enable beta updates.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

I've updated to beta build 5735 as you suggested without any issues so far.

Looking through the details of the update log a number of successful updates show multiple modules downloaded but not updated such as the 8/29 8:41 update that shows 122 modules downloaded and about 20 of them not updated. Is that normal?

EIS 5735 hung while attempting to update at "initializing" after previously updating automatically and manually normally.

Prior to hanging the Security Overview main page turned orange and reported it was out of date. The last update and all log information were missing. Closing the Security Overview and reopening it brought back the missing info but EIS hung at "initializing."

I had to restart windows to update. One other thing I noticed is that EIS takes about 2 minutes more than the other startup programs to finish loading after computer restarts.

Please try the following, and let me know if it resolves the issue:

• Uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Restart your computer twice.
  • Download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from this link.

After uninstalling, restart twice and reinstall, EIS 5735 reports a connection error on every attempt to update after the installation update.I tried the uninstall/reinstall process a second time with the same result. What now?

Cycling the firewall off then on cleared the persistent connection error from my last post. Operation and updates appear to have returned to normal.

After wakeup  an a2start window opened with an Emsisoft Protection error message. After computer restart I had to cycle the firewall to connect with the update servers. Is this the issue your developers are working?

post-20112-0-75579100-1443810845_thumb.jpg
Download Image

Two additional observations FWIW.

EIS is intermittently blocking some programs like Thunderbird from connecting after wakeup until cycling the firewall.

When the Emsisoft Protection major error message appears after wakeup, pausing all protection and then enabling all protection appears to restore normal operation and update manually only. Autoupdates begin again after computer restart and cycling the firewall to clear connection errors.

Over the weekend discovered that cycling through "Disable all protection" and "Enable all protection" cleared both the major errors and the internal processing errors. They each still reoccur intermittently but disabling and re enabling protection was the fastest and easiest workaround so far.

Occasionally only computer restart will restore normal operations. All of this has been with the system awake avoiding sleep mode.

Edited by crasey

Are you still seeing the error about not being able to connect to the service?

The connection issue is a firewall issue, and we believe we should have it fixed in the next beta version.

As for the "internal processing error", lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

I've been keeping the system awake and avoiding sleep mode for the last few days to better understand what I was seeing.

The application protection error from #10 has appeared 5 or 6 times as I tried to open the security center by double-clicking or right-clicking and selecting Security Overview from the tray icon. I discovered by accident that cycling protection between disable all and enable all generally restores normal operations without computer restart most of the time. If I have to restart the computer, EIS doesn't connect to the update servers until cycling the firewall manually or with disable/enable all protection.

The internal processing error appears intermittently until I cycle protection or computer restart. When it appears it's usually after several hours of normal operation and autoupdates. I typically discover it as I notice EIS missed its scheduled hourly update.

Thanks for continuing to work this.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

The only thing that I'm seeing in your logs that I know could cause issues with communication with the service is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, however it shouldn't be doing that at all. If you're still having that issue, you can try setting Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to not run at startup, and then restart your computer to see if that has any effect on the issue.

As for the internal processing error, I'm not seeing anything in the log that would explain it, unless Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is somehow occasionally interfering with the update process. Lets get some debug logs from Emsisoft Internet Security. In order to do this, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at the this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having (wait for the error message to appear).
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Attach the ZIP archive containing the logs to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After posting the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.

I actually set Malwarebytes to not run at startup after post #4 when I started getting the major protection error and was also trying to figure out why the shield was taking so long to appear after computer restart. I guess you guys did that with the d=60 in the EIS startup command.

Yesterday EIS missed its scheduled update leading me to the major protection error when I tried to open the Security Center. After computer restart the initial autoupdate failed reporting a connection error in the update log. Cycling the firewall allowed a successful manual update at 2:29pm. EIS operated normally and updated hourly until 7:30pm when it reported the internal processing error. I cycled the firewall, updated manually and left the system on overnight. When I tried to open the Security Center at  9:42am to see why EIS had not updated overnight I found the major protection error. Another computer restart and cycling the firewall restored normal operation.

I'll be happy to run the debug procedure and hope it helps untangle whatever's going on. Thanks again for continuing to work this.

I stayed in debug mode. EIS missed its scheduled hourly update at 4:47 pm. After opening the Security Center EIS turned orange and got stuck "iinitializing" when I tried to update manually and would not cancel. Closing and reopening the Security Center brought the update info back and got rid of the orange partial protection but the program stopped responding and had to be shut down with a computer restart.

post-20112-0-97692500-1444253532_thumb.jpg
Download Image

Logs(2).zip

The /d=60 only delays initialization of a2guard.exe when the service (a2service.exe) hasn't started yet. If a2service.exe is running, then the /d=60 switch has no effect.

I've made sure that our QA Manager has seen your logs, and he will make sure that a bug report gets opened.

As for the freezing issue you experienced, the most likely cause is usually another security software. Has it happened more than once?

The freezing issue is the same as post #4. It occurs from time to time like the major protection error for no apparent reason when I double-click or right click the shield to open the Security Overview. The second set of debug logs captured the freezing fault. When the Security Overview freezes computer restart is necessary to resume normal EIS operation and cycling the EIS FW is necessary to connect to the update servers.

For example with the system on all night, it happened again this morning when I double-clicked the shield to see why the last EIS update was 12 hours ago. The Security Overview window never opened fully - it was black with a spinning hourglass - requiring a computer restart. After restart the update log shows no entries between the last hourly autoupdate at 8:23 PM last night and the connection error after computer restart that clears after cycling the FW. Everything's working fine for now, but experience leads me to believe that in the next few hours one of the 3 failures (simple connection error, a2start freeze or major protection) I've been experiencing will occur.

There is no other security software running on the system. Windows Defender and Malwarebytes are installed but not set to run. Windows Security Center confirms Windows Firewall is off and EIS in on. I think the FRST files confirm that if i understand what it does and how to read it.

I appreciate all your help and the bug report and welcome any suggestions on how to get EIS back to normal on this system.

The MBAM protection driver is running in your logs, although the MBAM services are not running and at least in theory the driver shouldn't be doing anything if the services haven't been started since the last reboot. The logs don't show anything else that can cause the issue, so unless it's a hardware problem (such as an issue with RAM) then I'm not sure what could be causing it. Do you see any errors in your Windows Event Logs around the time the freeze happened?

Took your analysis and took another look for any installed security software or uninstalled remnants. Couldn't find any but did stumble across Wireshark which I forgot was left installed after using it weeks ago. After uninstalling Wireshark EIS has been operating and updating normally for the last 16 hrs or so

I'm thinking there may be some conflict with Wireshark. I'll take a look at the MBAM services and while I'm not very fluent in the Event Logs I'll see what I can find.

Thank you for continuing to investigate. Great product - timely and thorough support - that's why I stick with Emsisoft. I'm hoping Wireshark on this system was the culprit.

I uninstalled the Wireshark default uninstall options and the last one on the list (WinPcap) which I think was installed when Wireshark was installed. It Looks like Wireshark and WinPcap are both uninstalled.

Nothing jumps out at me from the event logs around the times the Security Center was freezing but then I'm not very fluent in their use.

EIS continues to hum along normally so I'm inclined to suspect Wireshark and/or WinPcap conflicts for the 3 types of errors I experienced that all had connection problems until the FW was reset or computer was restarted. I'm not knowledgeable enough to dig any deeper into pinning it down but can report EIS is operating and updating normally after uninstalling Wireshark and WinPcap.

When I started having connection problems I was looking for something to replace the network activity monitor that I miss from Online Armor and tried a few suggestions from another thread. Should have uninstalled it as soon as I tried it and didn't like it.

Thanks again.

Might have spoken too soon. After letting the system sleep for a couple of hours the internal processing error message returned when EIS failed to autoupdate after wakeup.

The Windows Event Logs show a Distributed Com error (event ID 10010) at wakeup followed 2 seconds later with a Dhcp-Client warning (event ID 1003). The Dhcp-Client (event ID1103) acquired an address 2 minutes later.

Meanwhile toggling the EIS firewall allowed EIS to update manually.

Was the firewall turned on when the update failed? The firewall blocking the update could have caused the internal processing error.

Yes. The firewall was on as the system came back from sleep and again on wakeup this AM. This time there were 3 internal processing error messages that had to be cleared before I could cycle the firewall and manually update.

Twelve hours earlier the major protection error appeared last night after wakeup leading to a computer restart and a need to cycle the EIS firewall to enable updates.

It was only after post #24 that I changed power settings to let the system sleep. Prior to that I had left the system awake for all our troubleshooting. In all cases all EIS protection features were on and in use.

I'm still searching for a more stable situation so I'll see if EIS minus the firewall is any more stable using the windows firewall. 

FWIW turning the EIS firewall off and using the windows firewall with the rest of EIS operated and updated normally over the rest of the weekend without any of the previously reported error messages or connection problems.

OK, then it certainly sounds like the firewall may be the culprit here. That issue should be fixed in our next beta version.

Saw EIS V11 public Beta has been released and your comment in another thread that it addresses firewall issues for Win 7 and 8 users. Does that also include the Vista 32 bit users?

Interesting. Nothing lasts forever and things obviously change but two weeks ago (GT500 post #29 above) the next beta was expected to fix the EIS V10 firewall issues on Vista. I do notice that the EIS/EAM/EEK product pages were changed at some point recently to indicate they run on Win 7, 8 and 10 with no mention of Vista.

Did I miss the announcement that Emsisoft was terminating Vista support?

... two weeks ago (GT500 post #29 above) the next beta was expected to fix the EIS V10 firewall issues on Vista. ...

At the time I was expecting a beta of version 10 rather than version 11. Apparently our developers were all working on version 11, and the new beta is version 11. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Did I miss the announcement that Emsisoft was terminating Vista support?

There was an announcement:

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/06/24/support-for-windows-xp-and-vista-will-end-april-2016/

Unfortunately we were forced to discontinue support sooner than we had planned due to certain code signing issues. Essentially, by the end of the year, it will no longer be possible for us to sign our files in such a way that they will work on Windows XP or Windows Vista.

OK. Stuff happens. Probably not enough of us left to stick to the original Spring 16 timetable. Should have updated to Win 7 yrs ago rather than wait for 8 or 10 that I'm not crazy about but it's too late for that now.

Will the current working combo of EIS 10.0.0.5735 with Windows firewall continue to update with working signature updates through year end or will you let us know when to cut off updates to avoid downloading updates that will disable the current working configuration?

You will be able to continue receiving database updates until version 11 of Emsisoft Internet Security is released. Once that happens, my understanding is that checking for updates will upgrade you to version 11 (I have asked for confirmation), which will not work on Windows Vista.

Scratch the above.

Our QA Manager just told me that version 10 on Windows XP and Windows Vista will not update to version 11, and will continue to download database updates until April. Obviously there will not be any further program updates for version 10, but you will get to continue to use version 10 until April. ;)

That's what I was hoping. I'm not feeling as unexpectedly abandoned as I was a few minutes ago.

Thanks very much for all your help trying to untangle the XP/Vista firewall issues that arose with V10. I hate to change this system to a competing product but certainly understand how difficult it must be for a lean company such as Emsisoft to manage your products for aging operating systems that are being otimized for current ones.

Thanks very much for all the malware free years of use that Online Armor and Emsisoft made possible.