Hiballer

DLL failure during nightly update

I just forwarded an Access Violation error report to your system. I had been cleaning out old Scan Log files, and each one I deleted popped up an accompanying "Invalid Pointer" error. Sixty seconds after the last one, I got an Access Violation error and sent the message to you.

Hope it helps find what the problem is.

Bill

I'm sure it will be helpful (assuming it isn't already fixed), however if they need more information then I'm sure our developers will let me know. ;)

Well, shoot! 64-bit machine slipped a cog this afternoon for no good reason. I was on another computer and didn't catch it until it had topped out my RAM. I managed a screenshot, but the instant I tried to send the report, the machine locked up right down to mouse-movement. Had to cycle poweer to recover.

Here's the screenshot:

emsisoft104.jpg

Fortunately, you can see my comment that would have been sent.

Sudden insight: The Stack Overflow is probably caused by all the Error Occurred dialog boxes piling up in RAM. Find the reason for the "error Occurred" and the Stack Overflow will stop I bet. NTDLL.DLL has been around for hundreds of years, I doubt it has a bug.

Bill

Those "Error Occurred" dialog boxes should all be notifications about the EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW error.

Our developers are pretty sure that this will be fixed in the next beta, which should be ready soon. ;)

Wonderful news. It seems the error pops up as if something is going through a list. As each item in the list is "crossed off", the error results. I could also be full of hot air. :D

Bill

I imagine that any sort of repetitive function could cause it, and software as complex as anti-virus software has plenty of those.

Well, your software engineers have a tip of my hat. The most complex thing I ever programmed was the in-hangar bench test set for the electronics in Pave Low helicopters - 1.2M lines of code, written in ADA.

Bill

My 32-bit machine had two "Invalid Pointer" dialog boxes on-screen this morning, but they cleared off with the OK button without causing a general fault (thus, there was no 'send us the error' box). I did NOT do this manually, it had to come from the scheduled update and scan run during the night.

I assume you will let me know here or PM if/when a new version of the engine is pushed down the Beta trail?

Bill

There was a new version released later on Saturday, and if you'd like to try it then here's what to do:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, select the option for Enable beta updates.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

Probably used to select different update feeds. I'm not sure if end users will see more than 2 update feeds though.

Did you encounter any of the issues since the version 11 beta was installed? If so, then we will need some new debug logs and a new memory dump (if possible).

The overnight issues stopped several days ago - which is a good thing.

Up until two days ago, i could still get the Invalid Pointer error, but today when I tried, I couldn't make it happen.

It would appear that you may have gotten the bug, at least on my 32-bit machine. I won't be finished with my Python project for another day or so. When I'm done, I'll switch to Windows 7 on my 64-bit machine and check things out. Should the version of EAM be the same on that machine as the 32-bit?

Current version of EAM is: 11.0.0.5847

EDIT: Once the dust settles, I would love to know what it was that did this. I can understand, though, if you're reluctant to share, even using a PM.

Bill

Yes, the version number should be the same on both 32-bit and 64-bit.

As for what caused it, our developers don't usually tell me. ;)

And that's a real shame. In my company, I make sure that my supportperson knows what is going on at all times. If not, then incorrect advice can be given out. If a bugfix is pushed, then a list of fixes is posted internally (at least). I can see why certain things might not be passed on the customers. For the bad Pointer, my money is on the list being re-sorted before the scan thread was done with it. And the Stack Overflow could be a simple list pointer indexed one element beyond the top (or bottom) of the list.

Cheers. I think I'll mark this one Solved. if it pops up again, I'll add on to this thread.

Bill

Our lists of fixed bugs are in a "user friendly" format, and lack precise explanations of what was wrong and what was fixed. Our management feels that these are easier for users to read and understand. ;)