Sign in to follow this  
G_girl

Can't Clear Temp Folder

Hi, I noticed recently I cannot clear my windows temp folder. I used to be able to until recently.

The message I get when trying (I tried as admin as well and with OA and EAM turned off)

"The action can't be completed because the file is open in Emsisoft Protection Service"

http://imgur.com/viYIRDA

WIndows 7 Home Premium  SP 1

Online Armor Premium 7.0.0.1866

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Last Update 10/3/15

Yes, it's part of the crash reporting software we integrate into our programs. Those temp files are a relatively recent change that was made to that crash reporting software, and they can't be deleted while the Emsisoft Protection Service is still running.

If you open Emsisoft Anti-Malware and go to Settings in the menu at the top, then go to Privacy in the menu at the top, you can opt out of crash reporting there. Please note that this will not stop the crash reporting software from loading, as it is built directly into our executables, and cannot be removed.

I understand.

However, this does make things a bit more difficult for me, because I like to clear my temp folder. I can't tell the files are Emsisoft's unless i try to delete each one.

The software was designed this way, just wish they put a check in for the opt out before collection and storage of the data, rather than after.

Thanks for your help.

We don't collect data. We just swap it out. The data isn't even specific to your system. Those files contain the same data on every system running the exact same version as you. All files are created with the Delete-On-Close flag set, meaning NTFS will guarantee the files are being deleted even in case of a power failure or a system crash. The only way files may end up being orphaned is in case of file system corruption and in that case temporary files will be the least of your problem.

I understand.

However, this does make things a bit more difficult for me, because I like to clear my temp folder. I can't tell the files are Emsisoft's unless i try to delete each one.

The software was designed this way, just wish they put a check in for the opt out before collection and storage of the data, rather than after.

Thanks for your help.

Hi G_girl.   There is a fairly simple solution.   Install CCleaner and just use it for cleaning up files.  I don't recomment the registry cleaner.  This will clean all your temporary files, so the ones left in Windows/temp will be the emsisoft ones.   Done, and simple

I know CCleaner has been highly recommended, but it only clears the administrators account (which it installs on). They say you must purchase the Pro version to clear user accounts. http://forum.piriform.com/?showtopic=36371

Any idea which good cleaner programs will work on user accounts without purchasing before trying them first ?

Thanks for your help.

Any idea which good cleaner programs will work on user accounts without purchasing before trying them first ?

I'm fairly certain AFTCleaner should. TFC is supposed to, but I've seen it leave the user temp folder untouched before. The batch file in the attached ZIP archive will do it as well:

clear_temp_batch_file.zip

Technically the batch file creates a file in the logged on user's temp folder, creates a scheduled task to run it on boot, schedules the computer to restart in 30 seconds, and when that file it created in the temp folder executes it deletes the temp files in the temp folder of the user that ran the file and the system temp folder. Of course, this only works if you run the batch file as an administrator, and it can't delete folders that are read-only (however it will delete all files).

Please note that this batch file will slow down your computer's startup if you have a lot of temp files, and it won't show any visible indication that it is running. Of course, since the file running out of the user's temp folder deletes everything in that temp folder, it also deletes itself, so that guarantees that it won't run again unless you want it to. It also deletes the scheduled task that runs it before it starts trying to delete temp files, so that it doesn't leave its loadpoint behind. ;)

G-girl

That seems like a lot of effort to produce marginal results.  The temp files are only going to be created again, and more over they aren't hurting anything.

Ccleaner has a free version and will clean everything but those emsisoft files.  Why on earth are you worried about them?

Thank you very much Arthur for taking the time to address this issue,

I'll give your recommendations a try.

You're welcome. ;)

>>Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:55 AM

Dear Peter2150,

In response to your questions:

>>"That seems like a lot of effort to produce marginal results.  The temp files are only going to be created again, and more over >>they aren't hurting anything."

I've had nasties run from temp in the past, since them have had a habit of occasionally clearing it.

>>Ccleaner has a free version and will clean everything but those emsisoft files.  Why on earth are you worried about them?"

I don't distrust Emsisoft.  They're just not readily identifiable as being from Emsisoft. I'm used to clearing the temp folder. Until recently, I could at a glance see it's been cleared.

Regards.

... Just clear with CCleaner.  What is left over is from Emsisoft. ...

CCleaner would be fine for deleting temp files. ;)

CCleaner would be fine for deleting temp files. ;)

Hi GT,

Sorry for the delayed reply. CC Cleaner Free only clears the admin accounts temp.  Pro will clean the logged on user's as well. I don't often use admin. It's ok I will give the batch file someone posted earlier a try :)

Hi GT,

Sorry for the delayed reply. CC Cleaner Free only clears the admin accounts temp.  Pro will clean the logged on user's as well. I don't often use admin. It's ok I will give the batch file someone posted earlier a try :)

Ccleaner will also clean (Normal) User accounts.

The way I use it is.

I am a Normal user (not admin) on my PC

- Download CCleaner, Install CCleaner as Admin (Right click on the downloaded File and select "Run as Admin...."

- After installation, If you want to run CCleaner as a Normal User just run it by clicking the icon on the Desktop

- After installation, If you want to run Ccleaner as an Admin, just right click the icon and select Run as Administrator

The Pro version can do all User accounts (on your PC) in one go and some more things like Automatic Updates and Real Time Monitoring.

Look for the difference between PRO and Free here  https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Ps: Make sure that in Ccleaner (Under Options, Advanced, if you have UNCHECKED "Only Delete Files in WIndows TEMP folders older than 24 Hours" and also UNCHECK "Only Delete Files in Recycle Bin older than 24 Hours" (But UNCHECKING these options, will still not Clean the Files which are in use by Emsisoft Protection Service as explained by Fabian ;) )

Edit: And after this, you still can't clean User Temp Files, go here: https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=8 and post a topic as it then clearly something is wrong.