Angeline

Infection on Win 10

Two popups from Emsisoft stated infections: C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe

C:\Windows\System32\taskhostw.exe.

Emsisoft directed me to this forum for assistance.

Thank you. Will wait for further directions.

Another infection popped up late last evening. It happened so fast I'm not sure what I clicked on to initiate it.

This time it is C:\Windows\System32\DataExchangeHost.exe.

I need some help again. This is the third in a short time.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Angeline

Hi Angeline,

The FRST log you sent is the Additions.txt log file. I still need the FRST.txt log file.

I have merged all your threads into a single thread.

Do the following:

Download AdwCleaner and save it on your desktop.

• Close all open programs and Internet browsers (you may want to print our or write down these instructions first).
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Clean button.
  • Confirm each time with OK.
  • You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open in Notepad after the restart (this is the log of what was removed), which you can save on your desktop.
  • Attach that log file to your reply by clicking the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.

NOTE: If you lose that log file for any reason, you can find it at C:\AdwCleaner on your computer.

Copy the below code to Notepad; Save As fixlist.txt to your Desktop.
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [] => [X]
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [emsisoft anti-malware] => c:\program files (x86)\emsisoft anti-malware\a2guard.exe [5836888 2015-09-30] (Emsisoft Ltd)
Winlogon\Notify\igfxcui: igfxdev.dll [X]
GroupPolicy: Restriction - Chrome <======= ATTENTION
CHR HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google: Restriction <======= ATTENTION
SearchScopes: HKLM -> DefaultScope {96963536-0848-40D2-91B6-23D693DA9893} URL = 
SearchScopes: HKLM-x32 -> DefaultScope value is missing
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-2887767820-1838326379-2686371712-1001 -> {96963536-0848-40D2-91B6-23D693DA9893} URL = 
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-2887767820-1838326379-2686371712-1001 -> {AA9A4890-4262-4441-8977-E2FFCBFB706C} URL = 
Handler: gopher - {79eac9e4-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b} -  No File
Filter: deflate - {8f6b0360-b80d-11d0-a9b3-006097942311} -  No File
Filter: gzip - {8f6b0360-b80d-11d0-a9b3-006097942311} -  No File
Filter: lzdhtml - {8f6b0360-b80d-11d0-a9b3-006097942311} -  No File
FF HKLM-x32\...\Thunderbird\Extensions: [[email protected]] - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK => not found
AlternateDataStreams: C:\ProgramData\Temp:5C321E34
Close Notepad.

NOTE: It's important that both files, FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Run FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.

If the tool needed a restart please make sure you let the system to restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.

The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Attach it to your reply.

Note: If the tool warns you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

Having trouble with this. Twice when I tried to save fixlist to Notepad, AdwCleaner was saved instead. On the third try, fixlist was saved.

I've run FRST but fix doesn't work or else I'm doing something incorrectly. Probably the latter. AdwCleaner.txt

I have run FRST 64 several times and each time I receive the message that fixlist.txt is not found. It is there in the same location. I'm working with IE on Win 10. Will try MS Edge to see if that makes a difference.

If you are getting the message that fixlist.txt is not found, then both FRST and fixlist.txt are not physically in the same folder together. One of them is a shortcut. Make sure that FRST is actually on the Desktop and not a shortcut.

Hi Kevin,

I've returned to Win 8.1. Thank you for your time and effort. Win 10 was not installed correctly. Too many issues with it. I'll do a clean install at a later date.

Thanks again.

Angeline,

Thank you for letting me know that you rolled back the Win 10 update to Win 8.1. Since you no longer need assistance I will close this support topic.