chamlin

EIS update blocks Crashplan, stops Thunderbird from opening

On my Win 7, 64-bit system, following the EIS v11.0.0.5847 update reboot, my system starts to crawl. Long boot time, Crashplan online backup can't connect to engine online, Thunderbird won't even open. I restored to an earlier image of my system, and all worked well. Then EIS wanted to install the update again, so I tried it, and the same problem occurred.

NOW, I notice that even EIS can't connect. I changed from beta to stable in the update setting, and clicked to update. The popup says: "Could not connect to the update server. Please check your internet connection and proxy settings."

http://screencast.com/t/4bAUxERB

And if my update is set to beta, and that's what's caused the problem, if I go back to the image of the past system when it all worked, EIS, set to beta, will immediately download the problematic update before I can change the setting to stable...if that would even make the difference.

Please advise asap.

I restored, and immediately stopped the automatic update, switched off the beta option. My current verion is 10.0.0.5735. System works.

Do I leave updates on? Usually I have it hourly, but I'm afraid that the "stable version", if it shifts to v11, will kill my system again.

What is recommended?

Thanks,

Chamlin

One thing I know for sure is when you switch V11 to stable updates it doesn't work. That's because V11 has no stable versions. You have to uninstall EAM en reinstall. 

It's possible that this was related to an issue with files not being properly updated under certain conditions. This is an issue that we have fixed, and if you do a complete reinstall and then enable Beta Updates again you will get a proper upgrade. If I am correct and that is what the problem was, then you should be fine after that. Here's what to do:

1. Uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security.

2. Restart your computer twice.

3. Download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from the following link:

http://dl.emsisoft.com/EmsisoftInternetSecuritySetup.exe

Once Emsisoft Internet Security is reinstalled and running normally, you can turn Beta Updates back on if you would like to.