Cranfield

Emisoft briefly turning off ?

I occasionally get a Microsoft warning saying that the Emisoft and Microsoft Firewall is off, then I get a, "Emisoft is turned off" message, then the Emisoft icon lights up again.

This all takes place over about 5+ seconds and I think it may coincide with an auto update.

I appreciate that my PC may not be at risk during these 5+ seconds, but is there any way to stop this happening ?

Is this issue resolved in the latest beta version? You can try it by doing the following:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, select the option for Enable beta updates.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

Is this issue resolved in the latest beta version? You can try it by doing the following:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, select the option for Enable beta updates.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

You ask me, "is this issue resolved in the latest beta version" ?

How do I know ?

I don't like messing with beta versions of software, that can be more trouble than its worth.

All I want to know is if my PC is still protected during these Emisoft "moments".

There is more than likely a short period of time (perhaps a few seconds) where the protection is off if you are seeing a notification about it. This shouldn't cause any major security issues, unless the protection stays off.

I appreciate the response, but I am not completely reassured.

Other people must be experiencing the same situation ( PC Reset is) , but may not realise it, as you have to be on your PC when it happens, as the warnings are only evident for 5-10 secs.

It is an obvious flaw and hopefully someone will mend it.

Have you tried uninstalling avast! to see if the issue continues when there's no other security software on your computer?

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

I see this only when EIS updates main dlls and executables of the software ((e.g. A new beta build was issued today).

It must to briefly shutdown it's processes to install the new components. Here is a matter of few seconds.

Yes, normally protection doesn't shut down for any period of time that would be visible to users unless a program update is being installed.

As others have also experienced this issue , I assume its not necessary for me to post logs, which is something I would rather not do.

I am reluctant to download software and fiddle with things, as I am not very Techie.

Yes, normally protection doesn't shut down for any period of time that would be visible to users unless a program update is being installed.

So my assumption was correct, the protection turns off (incl Firewall) when a Emisoft update is being installed ?

Is this not considered a problem ?

"Emisoft update" means replacing Emsisoft with a new version. This is different from the ordinary hourly/daily updates . Emsisoft does not shutdown when updating hourly/daily. You may be confusing the two scenarios.  :)

If you happen to run a virus while you are installing a new version of emsisoft then you are vulnerable. You are advised by the popup. This does not just happen to emsisoft but to any antivirus software in the world. You must try really hard to get infected under this scenario as it happens rarely and only for few seconds. Lol :)

So my PC is unprotected for the 5-10 secs that it takes to update, or install, a new version of Emisoft Internet Security.

Clearly nothing to worry about then, but I am not sure why that merits an "Lol :) ", surely a " :rolleyes: "  would be more appropriate.

So my assumption was correct, the protection turns off (incl Firewall) when a Emisoft update is being installed ?

Is this not considered a problem ?

If it is a program update being installed, then there is no way for protection to remain on while Emsisoft Internet Security is being restarted to load the new program components. Normally the process happens quickly enough that any window of vulnerability is minimum, and protection resumes automatically so anything malicious that is running would be caught by the File Guard when it comes back on.