redactor

Windows Defender real time protection with EIS/EAM

Windows 10 x64 here.

Is it advisable, inadvisable, or entirely ad libitum to have Windows Defender real time protection run together with EIS/EAM?

Win 10 should automatically detect when you have EAM/EIS running and turn Windows Defender off.

If you uninstall EAM/EIS Win 10 will automatically turn Windows Defender back on.

• Upvote 1

As stapp says, Windows 10 is supposed to automatically turn off Windows Defender when a third-party anti-virus (such as EIS/EAM) is installed. It's not supposed to be easy to turn it back on, so as far as I know we don't test with it turned on on Windows 10. Basically, if you do manage to turn it back on, we can't guarantee that it will work as expected. ;)

I'm aware that EIS, when installed, automatically turns off Windows Firewall and Windows Defender

The reason I asked about this in the first place is that for the past week or so I've been getting daily notices that a new Windows Defender definition update is available. This is on Win 10 x64. Windows downloads the update and tries to install it, but the installation always fails. Then Windows offers to try again. The first couple of times I kept trying, but soon I just ignored the message. But at the end of each day I run a cleanup of junk files, and any downloaded update installation files are part of the junk that is deleted. Then next day, same thing all over again.

After a few days of this, and unable to hide the update like in earlier versions of Windows, I thought if I turn Defender on, maybe the update will install. Sure enough, it did. So the only way I know of to stop being nagged to death is manually to turn Defender on, let the update install, then turn Defender back off again. That's a pain in the arse for a process that is supposed to be transparent.

By the way, I've tried Windows Update Mini Tool, and using it to hide updates, at least Defender definition updates, doesn't seem to work.

So I'm wondering of others have a similar problem. If so, how are they handling it; and if not, why do I have the problem and others don't.

• Upvote 1

I have the same problem as you but as i saw no one reporting it I said to myself it's probably only me so it may be my pc thanks for posting also since I installed Emsisoft beta 11 Chrome crash & has not worked since,even with the latest beta update.

I have the same problem as you but as i saw no one reporting it I said to myself it's probably only me so it may be my pc thanks for posting also since I installed Emsisoft beta 11 Chrome crash & has not worked since,even with the latest beta update.

Technically, EIS doesn't do that. Windows does it (or at least it is supposed to). ;)

As for the issue with Windows Defender updates not being able to install when EIS is installed, or when Windows Defender is disabled, I don't recall anyone else reporting that. My first thought is it sounds like a Windows Defender or Windows Update issue, however it is difficult to know for certain. All it takes to get the updates to install is turn Windows Defender back on?

It's possible that the information at this link (be careful of advertising on that page) might be helpful in hiding the updates for Windows Defender. It doesn't look like that tutorial is specifically intended for this issue though.