zerox

Can't open GUI in EIS 11.0.0.5901

Hi there

For me, it's impossible to acces the GUI of EIS 11. The program's icon is still showing up in the tray and right click menu with the limited options is accessible, but I can not take action on rules. I haven't seen any notifications from the firewall for some time. Windows 10 is even reporting that there is no firewall active, and whenever I choose EIS to be trustful and it should be activated, the system partly locks up (can't access My PC anymore...)

It's been a really tough time with EIS and Windows 10.

How can I backup my settings now without being able to access the GUI?

Thanks.

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

Would it be possible to attach the log rather than paste it into a post? All of the line breaks were missing.

I noticed that you have G DATA TotalProtection installed, which could be related to the issue. Have you tried temporarily uninstalling it to see if you continue to have the same issue?

Yes I did. I ran the EAM and GData side by side for years now with no issues. I thought they might hurt each other but uninstalling GData didn't change a thing. The GUI issue started with the update to 11. I have to mention that I have never been happy with EIS 10 ever since upgrading to Windows 10. It was behaving odd all the time.

In fact I would love to uninstall/reinstall EIS, but I want to save my settings before I do so. Without being able to see the GUI, I'm asking you for a workaround.

The easiest way to save your Application Rules and whitelist is by starting your computer in Safe Mode and then copying the INI files out of the Emsisoft Internet Security folder to somewhere safe. Here's a link to instructions on how to start your computer in Safe Mode. If you need Internet access while in Safe Mode, then use Safe Mode With Networking instead of regular Safe Mode.

The Application Rules are in a2rules.ini, the whitelist is in a2whitelist.ini, network settings are in a2networks.ini, scheduled scans should be in a2scheduler.ini, I would believe customized Global Firewall Rules are in a2policies.ini (this will be empty if you haven't edited the firewall rules), and general application settings are in a2settings.ini.

I don't really recommend copying more than a2rules.ini, a2whitelist.ini, and a2scheduler.ini but you can try it if you want to. You should be able to import a2settings.ini as well, however I haven't specifically tested using the import function to import INI files that have been copied from the program folder (the format should be the same as if you had exported them so as far as I know it should work).

Thank you. I uninstalled EIS, unfortunately the Security Overview window still doesn't want to show up. No matter what I tried, it keeps staying hidden. It's the only application that has this issue. So who's to blame?

Edit:

After forcefully shutting down EIS and the respective service listed in services.msc I was able to run EIS from the start menu and all of a sudden the GUI appeared. I did not shut down the computer yet. But I wanted to report this.

Edit:

Looks like that did the trick.

Damn! Back to black.

So this morning EIS decided not to show its GUI again. When I shut down protection, I was usually able to end the Emsi Protection Service. But now it's greyed out. I suppose there's an issue with the service in some cases.

If I double click the EIS tray icon, internet access is getting locked up.

Furthermore, when I disable Surf Protection in the tray's right click menu, EIS is getting totally unresponsive (no tray icon actions possible anymore).

All these issues are reproducible.

You won't be able to stop the Emsisoft Protection Service as long as a2guard.exe or a2start.exe are running. You can end them from the Task Manager if needed (if they are crashing or hanging).

The only thing I am seeing in your logs that could potentially cause such an issue is G Data's software. When you uninstalled, did you run their removal tool to make sure that everything was removed? It's possible that there was a driver or service left over.

Sorry for the late response. GData isn't the problem. I have used their avcleaner and it didn't solve a thing. I've been trying to find out what's the problem there and I suspect the Broadcom driver to be a possible source of the issue. With EIS, there's a blue screen from time to time (page fault in non paged area and memory management, bcmwl63a.sys is the cause). With Outpost Pro, the GUI runs smooth but the system crashes every 5 minutes with the same two blue screens. Finally, GData's Firewall seems to have a different, yet similar problem as it only shows a black box instead of a firewall alert. There's only Comodo Firewall that seems to run perfectly smooth.

However, the random issue with the GUI not showing up (in 1 out of 20 system starts, it's possible to see EIS' GUI) and locking up explorer.exe (not being able to run other applictations, to shut down or open the action center/notifications must be a EIS issue.) Without EIS on my computer, these problems do not occur. Also, if the Firewall part or all components are disabled, GUI is accessible.

If you want to check out for yourself if this is the problem, try a Broadcom WLAN device like the ASUS PCE-AC66 with the problematic bcmwl63a.sys driver.

I think 3rd party firewalls go insane with this driver in combination with Windows 10. Blame Microsoft!

Perhaps this information is useful for Fabian Wosar.

Just to confirm that:

There are zero issues when running EIS without the firewall component. So GData, Outpost and EIS must have something in common that's not working right. Comodo Firewall runs perfectly smooth. No hiccups, no blue screens, no hangs, no slowing downs. Perhaps they understand something about Windows 10 better than you, GData and Agnitum. I was always positive that it was a firewall issue. Please check this out and fix it in EIS because this is what I paid for. I will contact GData as well. Agnitum should know about it by now.

I'm just wondering why are you using Agnitum Outpost (which is a HIPS firewall) with EIS (which has a firewall). Two firewalls is a bad idea, like two antivirus software.

IMO, too many tools with overlapping features. It may have always worked before but this is simply just looking for troubles. On top, this strategy may not always lead to better protection, on the contrary. I would simply to decide which firewall to use (and use only one), which main AV to use (and use only one). Then if you really feel like, you can add complementary software (specific anti-exploits tools, anti-keyloogers, adware blocking, etc.)  :)

@Alexstrasza

Read AGAIN! I disabled EIS Firewall and tried other options to find out what the problem with EIS STANDALONE is. It's the firewall part. It's having issues.

• Upvote 1

@fax

Wrong way. I'm not looking for double protection and that kind of stuff. Standalone EIS doesn't work properly, at least for me. It's the firewall that seems to have issues with the broadcom driver. When I turn EIS' firewall off, things work fine. With Comodo instead of EIS' built-in firewall, it works perfectly well. Outpost has issues with the broadcom driver as well. Not on Win8.x, but on Win 10. Microsoft has changed the underlying network system with Windows 10. That's why about every firewall didn't work anymore unless they were accordingly updated. To me, it looks like only Comodo did their job right. Emsisoft, GData and Agnitum failed to do so. Not to mention that Online Armor never worked with Windows 10.

So please read the content of the topic first before you lead the discussion into the wrong direction. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

iam facing the same issue now 

Are you on Win8 or Win10? If the latter is the case, disable EIS' firewall and try to use Comodo Firewall for instance. Let us know if this works for you, too.

@fax

Wrong way. I'm not looking for double protection and that kind of stuff. Standalone EIS doesn't work properly, at least for me. It's the firewall that seems to have issues with the broadcom driver. When I turn EIS' firewall off, things work fine. With Comodo instead of EIS' built-in firewall, it works perfectly well. Outpost has issues with the broadcom driver as well. Not on Win8.x, but on Win 10. Microsoft has changed the underlying network system with Windows 10. That's why about every firewall didn't work anymore unless they were accordingly updated. To me, it looks like only Comodo did their job right. Emsisoft, GData and Agnitum failed to do so. Not to mention that Online Armor never worked with Windows 10.

So please read the content of the topic first before you lead the discussion into the wrong direction. Thanks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but if you really want to troubleshoot conflicts you need to go deeper. Its not enough to disable components of the tools to draw conclusions on conflicts. Core and kernel drivers will be still loaded or re-started upon shutdown) and these will be the elements that will cause conflicts (behind the lines). You really need to fully remove applications to properly test. There is no major issue whatsoever here with EIS firewall and windows 10. So your problems may be related to other interactions and specific local configuration. I would first start clean, install only EIS and troubleshoot with support on this bases.  :)

Read AGAIN! I disabled EIS Firewall and tried other options to find out what the problem with EIS STANDALONE is. It's the firewall part. It's having issues.

Disabling the firewall doesn't cause the drivers to shut down. This can still lead to compatibility issues. We recommend always removing EIS before installing another firewall, and vice versa.

Emsisoft started the fire there. I was using EAM and OA. But you decided to drop the stand alone firewall and provide EAM and EIS instead. One comes without a firewall, the other doesn't offer the option to skip the installation of the firewall (GData for example does). So the issue is I can't run EIS without the firewall, but I can turn off its firewall and, voilà, no more issues. The GUI shows up every time and no explorer.exe hangs anymore. And it doesn't make a change when I install Comodo Firewall when the EIS' firewall is disabled.

So, then you've got homework to do: Give us the option to skip the installation of the firewall part in EIS and we have options to find out if it's causing troubles. Apparently, in combination with the broadcom driver, EIS can not work properly on Windows 10. You should not make recommendations if you're not aware of the circumstances.

Sorry for the harsh articulation, but I'm sure you can imagine how p*** I feel about the situation. It took me weeks to narrow down the problem. It doesn't help a thing if I just uninstall EIS because I know it's running smooth without. But it helps if I disable its firewall and try another one aside the rest of EIS still active. Fix the firewall issue and I will be open minded for further recommendations. I can tell you for sure, even if GData is running aside (with no firewall), it's running smooth. I am 100% positive there's a problem there in the firewall code. If the firewall drivers are still running when the firewall is turned off, it must be something in the firewall component itself.

One more thing, Windows gave me some messages that no firewall was running from time to time. Not the Windows firewall itself nor the EIS firewall. And it was asking me whether to trust the EIS firewall or not. With Comodo, I'm not having these messages anymore. It simply works. Now, I recommend you to hand this information over to your coders and try to solve the issue. Thanks for your attention.

@Mostafa Elbadry

All I can say is try it. Disable the firewall, install Comodo and see if it works. I've been using this combination for the time being and it works absolutely flawless. I have never seen Windows 10 running smooth like this before.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but if you really want to troubleshoot conflicts you need to go deeper. Its not enough to disable components of the tools to draw conclusions on conflicts. Core and kernel drivers will be still loaded or re-started upon shutdown) and these will be the elements that will cause conflicts (behind the lines). You really need to fully remove applications to properly test. There is no major issue whatsoever here with EIS firewall and windows 10. So your problems may be related to other interactions and specific local configuration. I would first start clean, install only EIS and troubleshoot with support on this bases.  :)

Thanks for your time, but believe me, I tried it. I went deep. On two machines. Both have the same WLAN card, Asus PCE-AC66, broadcom drivers. EIS just doesn't accept the broadcom drivers. Some work slightly better than others, but none of the broadcom drivers work smooth with EIS' firewall. I'm not stupid, man. Disabling the firewall does it. If Emsi gave us the option not to install the EIS firewall (like GData does), it would make trouble shooting a whole lot easier. So, the specific configuration is Windows 10, broadcom drivers, EIS. This doesn't work. Shouldn't be a problem with EAM. But that's not the question here.

And hey, it wasn't that easy to troubleshoot the issue since there was no GUI visible and the right click menu in the taskbar doesn't offer too many options. Disabling some components made EIS crash... And I had to narrow down the problem, but I found it: EIS Firewall. (but also GData's firewall doesn't like broadcom, neither does Outpost). I don't want to try other options. Comodo proves that it can be running smooth. I'm not a fan of it, but I can't change it. Emsi needs to have a look at their firewall (Gdata does already). I've been in personal touch with Fabian Wosar before and he "teamviewed" another EIS-related issue on my computer... and it was not my computer's problem ;). But this firewall issue can't be solved using team viewer because the connection will break when EIS' firewall is enabled.

I had an accident and crushed my knee, knee surgery 4 weeks post accident and truly infernal pains. I really had a hard time to sit in front of computers being faced with this issue. I hope you get me right now.

One comes without a firewall, the other doesn't offer the option to skip the installation of the firewall (GData for example does). So the issue is I can't run EIS without the firewall, but I can turn off its firewall and, voilà, no more issues.

If you were able to install EIS without the firewall, then you would be installing EAM. There would be no functional difference between the two, as EAM is EIS without the firewall.

So, then you've got homework to do: Give us the option to skip the installation of the firewall part in EIS and we have options to find out if it's causing troubles.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, however we are more than likely not going to implement such a feature. You do have the option to remove the firewall drivers manually, however our developers keep telling me that doing so is bad and could destroy the network stack on the computer.

You should not make recommendations if you're not aware of the circumstances.

There are certain recommendations I can always make, such as never have more than one firewall installed at the same time. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, as this is always important advise.

But it helps if I disable its firewall and try another one aside the rest of EIS still active.

May I ask how that helps more than uninstalling EIS to test another firewall?

I am 100% positive there's a problem there in the firewall code.

That is entirely possible, however in order to debug that we need logs. If I post instructions for getting those logs (or memory dumps in the case of a crash), would you be willing to collect those logs for us and send them to me?

If the firewall drivers are still running when the firewall is turned off, it must be something in the firewall component itself.

Not necessarily. It could still be the drivers causing the issue. Only the developers who write the code will be able to tell for sure where the fault is. We just need to give them a chance to do that.

One more thing, Windows gave me some messages that no firewall was running from time to time. Not the Windows firewall itself nor the EIS firewall. And it was asking me whether to trust the EIS firewall or not.

It could be an issue with WMI and how it is storing the data regarding EIS. Reinstalling EIS usually fixes that, as it will unregister EIS with the Windows Security Center, and then re-register it. Just be sure to restart the computer twice after uninstalling EIS, just to be sure that everything has had a chance to be removed before you reinstall.

@Mostafa Elbadry

... Disable the firewall, install Comodo and see if it works.

I still highly recommend not doing that. More than likely, even though it appears to be working, COMODO's firewall isn't actually able to filter network traffic properly due to the presence of another WFP driver.

Regardless, COMDOD's firewall/Internet Security is currently causing our software to crash for many users when running them on the same computer.

If you were able to install EIS without the firewall, then you would be installing EAM. There would be no functional difference between the two, as EAM is EIS without the firewall.

That's the idea behind it. This is why I always prefer stand alone software over suites. GData does it right. You can disable every component there. This is always useful to narrow down issues. In Emsi's case, I would have to contact you and switch the code everytime I want to switch from EIS with firewall to EAM without firewall, and back again. That's nuts.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, however we are more than likely not going to implement such a feature. You do have the option to remove the firewall drivers manually, however our developers keep telling me that doing so is bad and could destroy the network stack on the computer.

User's aren't just stupid consumers buying some company's software. They sometimes have smart ideas. That feature would be more than smart.

There are certain recommendations I can always make, such as never have more than one firewall installed at the same time. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, as this is always important advise.

Of course you're absolutely free to do so. However, it doesn't feel and look like two firewalls are installed when I disable EIS' firewall. No error messages, no issues, no Windows reporting something's wrong there and most of all, no bluescreens. Other than when I enable EIS' firewall WITHOUT ComodoFW. 

May I ask how that helps more than uninstalling EIS to test another firewall?

Ever thought about the idea that I was trying to narrow down what's causing the problem. I did uninstall EIS and things looked good. And now, with my extensive testing, I can report that EIS is running fine aside ComodoFW as long as EIS' firewall is disabled. Same goes for EIS' when no other firewall than Windows Firewall is running. Hum, what's that? That's another firewall too... how come I'm still able to activate Windows Firewall when EIS's is installed?

That is entirely possible, however in order to debug that we need logs. If I post instructions for getting those logs (or memory dumps in the case of a crash), would you be willing to collect those logs for us and send them to me?

We can try...

Not necessarily. It could still be the drivers causing the issue. Only the developers who write the code will be able to tell for sure where the fault is. We just need to give them a chance to do that.

I'm in for that.

It could be an issue with WMI and how it is storing the data regarding EIS. Reinstalling EIS usually fixes that, as it will unregister EIS with the Windows Security Center, and then re-register it. Just be sure to restart the computer twice after uninstalling EIS, just to be sure that everything has had a chance to be removed before you reinstall.

Oh my, I don't know how many times I tried this... but the combination of the current EIS firewall and broadcom BCM43xx just don't work on my system. :(

I still highly recommend not doing that. More than likely, even though it appears to be working, COMODO's firewall isn't actually able to filter network traffic properly due to the presence of another WFP driver. Regardless, COMDOD's firewall/Internet Security is currently causing our software to crash for many users when running them on the same computer.

Pioneers became pioneers because they were trying things and took some risk... And there's still backups you can do these days before taking that risk. In fact, I really don't have any issues with the combination EIS with disabled firewall and ComodoFW. Not a single issue. Strange, huh?

User's aren't just stupid consumers buying some company's software. They sometimes have smart ideas. That feature would be more than smart.

Emsisoft Internet Security isn't intended for advanced users. It's intended for the average person.

Of course you're absolutely free to do so. However, it doesn't feel and look like two firewalls are installed when I disable EIS' firewall. No error messages, no issues, no Windows reporting something's wrong there and most of all, no bluescreens. Other than when I enable EIS' firewall WITHOUT ComodoFW.

Just because you are seeing no errors or other signs of problems, it does not mean that everything is working correctly. Generally when you have two firewalls installed, the best case scenario is that everything appears to be working without any issues, however one or both of the firewalls will be unable to filter network traffic.

Ever thought about the idea that I was trying to narrow down what's causing the problem. I did uninstall EIS and things looked good. And now, with my extensive testing, I can report that EIS is running fine aside ComodoFW as long as EIS' firewall is disabled. Same goes for EIS' when no other firewall than Windows Firewall is running. Hum, what's that? That's another firewall too... how come I'm still able to activate Windows Firewall when EIS's is installed?

The Windows firewall is sort of built-in to Microsoft's WFP implementation (or at least is in some way integral to how WFP works in Windows), and most of the time there are no conflicts with other firewalls. There have been issues in the past where this was not the case due to early bugs in WFP, however Microsoft fixed those issues in updates once they realized that there were problems.

As for the issue with COMODO's firewall, that is expected, which is why we recommend not installing more than one firewall. Emsisoft Internet Security is not intended to run on a computer where another program that uses a WFP driver is installed, and strange problems or the firewall not filtering network traffic are expected.

Pioneers became pioneers because they were trying things and took some risk... And there's still backups you can do these days before taking that risk.

Most users are not familiar with system imaging, and do not keep extensive backups. If you want to play with configurations that could cause problems, then that's your risk to take, however please don't recommend it to other users.

In fact, I really don't have any issues with the combination EIS with disabled firewall and ComodoFW. Not a single issue. Strange, huh?

No, it isn't strange. If a firewall is unable to filter network traffic, then it will not give any visible indication, except that logs may look a bit strange. It is entirely possible to have problems that are not apparent when dealing with multiple security softwares.

As for the debug logs, please uninstall COMODO's firewall (and any other security software) so that our developers don't see it in the logs, and follow the instructions below.

In order to get debug logs, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having with EIS and your network adapter.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Send the ZIP archive containing the logs to me in a Private Message.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After sending me the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.