herisson

EIS v11 problems

Windows 8.1 x64

Ubiquiti unifi controller fails to start (ace.jar) - no errors or messages

Intellipool Network Monitoring service fails to communicate (inmservice.exe) - no errors or messages

Emsisoft protection service (a2service.exe) - constant use of 5% cpu

System lag occurs

Emsisoft crashed and system hang on trying to investigate above using application rules panel - had to power off

System hang for no apparent reason - had to power off

No application or system messages in windows log for any of above.

Restored to before auto update to v11, unplugged modem, restarted, tuened off emsisoft auto update, turned modem back on - all ok again.

When will it be safe to take this new version?

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

Hi Arthur

I restored the whole of my windows system to a point prior to the v11 auto install so there are no records of it.

If I'm the only one experiancing such severe problems let me know and I will temporarily install v11 again, recreate the problems and run the scan above.  V11 just wont run on my pc and blocks at least 2 of my processes without rules or messages.

Just as an aside, I am a long time user of Emsisoft and the last release seemed like a simplification of internet security which I didn't like because it OVER simplified and made it more difficult to control and understand what was and what was not being restricted. I guess this looks like the price for developing for the mass market?

Peter

• Upvote 1

I've seen a similar report that was sent to our support e-mail address, however it seems fairly rare from what I've seen. Any possibility of getting debug logs? Here's how to get them, if you are willing to try it (make sure that Emsisoft Internet Security version 11 is installed before doing this):

In order to get debug logs, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Send the ZIP archive containing the logs to me in a Private Message.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After sending me the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.

make sure to edit out your product keys from the logs.

using a program like notepad+ and "Replace All"

Or just follow step #8 and send them in a Private Message rather than posting them in a reply to a topic in a public section of the forums. ;)