Cavalary

That was a weird update...

This update just now sure was weird, and one more reason why automatic program updates are not a good thing. I mean, could be far worse, as it didn't seem to actually break anything I guess (maybe?), but suddenly screen went black, then things returned over a span of a few seconds, the one thing I immediately noticed being that BOINC showed being turned off and had a command line window open displaying a log as if it had just started (why in such a window, don't know). Then it popped up an error saying wrong password, and when I tried to open the manager there was nothing there. Turned it off and back on and worked, and a work unit that was close to finishing just validated fine in spite of a logged "BOINC client no longer exists - exiting" error at that point, followed by 3 logged restarts with no processing between them.

Now I assume that this happened because BOINC is installed as a service, so using its own separate limited user account, and restarting EAM cut that due to how it handles account permissions? Should I be rebooting my computer though? (Rather not at the moment, it's been remarkably stable recently and will need to reboot tomorrow for some things anyway...)

agreed. my Windows 10 (10586.11) system also lost video, and then windows came back but i couldn't click on anything.

managed to shut it down via command prompt, but then as it rebooted, it completely hanged during the windows loading process

had to do a hard reset, and it managed to get into windows only now

emsisoft, this is not cool

Same thing just happened to me!

After latest update, all of a sudden my desktop goes weird and my Realtek HD Audio control panel opens? I start checking things using Process Explorer. Notice that EAM hook into explorer.exe is now a2guard64.dll.old. WTF?

Next looked at EAM's x86 installation folder and I have a bunch of EAM exe's ending with .old suffix. Also a bunch of files with .backup suffix now exist.

Decided to re-boot since it definitely looked like a "borked" EAM update. Everything looks OK now but the .backup suffix files still exist.

First borked EAM update I ever experienced ............................................

Yep, I'm also seeing .old and .backup files there.

More specifically:

A2CORE.DLL.old

a2email.ini.backup

A2HOOKS32.DLL.old

a2networks.ini.backup

a2policies.ini.backup

a2rules.ini.backup

a2scheduler.ini.backup

a2settings.ini.backup

But creation date says only the first was created now, the rest had been there all along? Don't know, didn't check before.

And now at the next automatic update I see this:

27 modules, 1969915 bytes

a2hosts.dat (690 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\dalvik.ivd (617 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\e_spyw.i04 (5247 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.381 (158081 bytes) - not updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.383 (137225 bytes) - not updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.386 (155379 bytes) - not updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.427 (390 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.428 (392 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.477 (24054 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.478 (178117 bytes) - not updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.479 (212783 bytes) - not updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.480 (216754 bytes) - not updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.481 (203063 bytes) - not updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.482 (208828 bytes) - not updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.483 (212306 bytes) - not updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.i02 (4375 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.i04 (3764 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.i05 (2005 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.i15 (200689 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.i50 (370 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.i72 (364 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\emalware.i80 (401 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\htmltok.cvd (501 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\mdx_97.cvd (27960 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\mdx_97.ivd (297 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\sdx.ivd (14916 bytes) - updated

Signatures\BD\update.txt (347 bytes) - updated

What's with the "not updated" ones there? (Popup said successful though.)

This is a problem in the old version during unloading on some systems and also happened when you shut down EAM manually (which almost no-one ever does so it never showed up during our public tests). It is fixed in the new version, but since installing the fix isn't possible without shutting down the old version at least once, it's just something we have to go through.

• Upvote 1

I have to admit it caught me off guard as I was on a web page (firefox) AND all of a sudden firefox shut down lost all my icons just a blue screen. Then everything came back to normal.

This is a problem in the old version during unloading on some systems and also happened when you shut down EAM manually (which almost no-one ever does so it never showed up during our public tests). It is fixed in the new version, but since installing the fix isn't possible without shutting down the old version at least once, it's just something we have to go through.

So it should be fine now, even without a reboot? And what about those "not updated" entries there?

Weird?????

We have 10 Windows Servers up and running, 5 of them are Domain Controllers. 2x SQL Server failure, total crash of the service. Need to take off every service on 5 locations, complete reboot. We really had a 'nice' evening. THANK YOU! :-(

So it's quite clear that it's not only a matter of explorer.exe or even of Windows 7 (I assume the servers were using some version of Win Server?). Based on what happened to me, I can assume that the update forcefully logged out all other users, or forcefully shut down programs running on other accounts, which may explain the issues described above as well. If so, that is something that should NEVER happen as a rule, and if the program somehow requires it then the update may not be installed automatically. In fact, it may not even be installed if a manual update is requested without an explicit warning and confirmation from the user, because you can't know what's running and it's essentially like a reboot for all accounts except the current one.

But I'm going back to my general suggestions for updates:

- Separate definitions and program updates, allowing the user to select different modes for them.

- Definitions updates should never require a restart, even of the application. Or, if you can think of cases where they would, have a way to flag updates that do and if the flag is not present and the application somehow thinks a restart is needed, it should know there has been an error and notify of it, ignoring the faulty update, or the faulty parts of it if it can be separated that way, and trying again next time to see if it was resolved.

- Program updates should have 3 modes: full auto, auto download but prompt for install, and check only but prompt for any other action.

- If the mode is not full auto and an update is found, the install prompt should allow the user to just dismiss it for the moment, in which case it'll ask again at the next check for updates, or say to not ask again either for a certain amount of time or until next reboot. If however a new program update is found before the "ask again" time, it will ask again of course.

- In case the program update is downloaded but not installed (and that option should be in the prompt if always prompt is selected), there should also be an option to automatically install it at next reboot, not bothering with it till then. (Unless of course a new one is found before then.)

- Again, regardless of the chosen mode, if the update requires restarts, even this sort of "partial" ones, it must not be installed without explicit user consent. That doesn't mean install it and prompt for restart, leaving program in some limited state until accepted, but not install at all until consent is given, so user will be able to continue using the computer until they can allow for such an interruption.

I got a Windows message saying that the start menu and Cortana were not working and to re-start the computer to fix it. I wondered what the hell was going on. Turns out it was due to the 11.0.0.5958 update. Then I had to re-boot twice because half my taskbar icons had disappeared. Please don't do this again Emsisoft.

So it should be fine now, even without a reboot? And what about those "not updated" entries there?

Yes, this is now fixed.

As for things that are "not updated", my understanding is that it means files were downloaded that were not applied as updates. Normally these would be installed the next time updates are downloaded.