solhuebner

HitmanPro.Alert worth as a companion?

Hi,

I am currently testing HitmanPro.Alert as an addition for Emsisoft Internet Security.

I updated to the latest BETA version and tried out their hmpalert-test.exe (Exploit Test Tool) from http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads/

But as soon as I renamed the file to just test.exe it was no longer working at all besides the Webcam and Anti Keylogger protection.

Now I am a bit afraid that the protection is weaker than EMET as I can not add any programs besides the ones they support out of the box...

What are your opinions about this program?

Is it worth using it together with Emsisoft products or is the "Improved behavior-based detection of ransomware" of version 11 together with Sandboxie and EMET enough / better?

Kind regards

Technically speaking, your computer is sufficiently protected by Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Internet Security. However, if you prefer an extra layer of security you could use this without any negative effects on your system.

The difference between the products is that they intercept potential malware attacks at different points. The result with or without HMP Alert is however the same, our behavior blocker will intercept threats resulting from exploits once they become active on the computer and eliminate them.

Hi Elise,

thank you for the fast answer :)

I think I will then better just go with EIS and EMET :)

And as I saw that you have better comparability with SandboxIE maybe I will give that a try ;)

Kind regards

HMPA is stronger by far then EMET.   It is easy to add new programs.    Just have the program running,  Then you can add any app to HMPA.   For more complete help there is a thread at Wilderssecurity.com

Pete

Actually, EAM is an anti-virus as well. The last version also added additional features for exploit mitigation. Bitdefender also includes exploit mitigation. Lines are really blurry and while we usually try to maintain compatibility, chances are if you combine a lot of tools, no effort on our end will help you keep your system stable. After all we have no influence on what other companies are doing.

Hi, I wish to quote the above reply by Fabian in EAM forum regarding the addition of Exploit Mitigation. I'm currently using Hitman Pro. Alert. Wondering would both anti-exploit protection brings conflict. I've heard somewhere that it is advisable not to run more than one anti-exploit protection on a single PC.

I'm curious on this since Hitman Pro website also offers the bundles (HMP/HMPA + EAM) and hence the confusion for the overlapping protection.

Right now Emsisoft does not yet offer exploit mitigation AFAIK, so it is safe to use HitmanPro.Alert, MBAE or EMET with Emsisoft. Using multiple anti-exploit applications at once can cause issues, although they might be not obvious like using two AVs at once.

I -had- HMP/HMPA installed alongside EIS.

There were some weird things going on: another tool that I have been using for many years, suddenly changed into an 'unregistered/unlicensed' state.

No matter how many times the license key was entered. It remained that way. Tried to solve this with the developer of that tool. After many attempts we gave up.

They tried themselves on their system and confirmed the same issue.

This and other matters I reported to Surfright but no response at all. Nothing...

Even my question whether or not they would be inclined to refund the purchase price: no reaction.

I dropped HMP/HMPA - disappointing experience with regards to support - money wasted - bad luck.

Changed back to MBAM  - at least they have an active, expert supported forum.

my 2cts.

=

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, no matter the product or company, a (paying) customer should have the benefit of timely support when there are technical problems.

To use all functions of HitmanPro.Alert you need to pay for it (CryptoGuard, risk reduction which includes exploit prevention etc.).

Interesting i dont know because i get rid hitman pro alert a years ago, but i dont use java i only use embebed flash player on ie or chrome or edge and have adguard, i just curious ¿Is compatible Malwarebytes antiexploit whith emsi?. I think emsi alone does a great job whith no additions, adguard gives me some peace on mind. Is really necesary overload the system? Hitman pro, malwarebytes antiexploit, spywareblaster etc

Excuse my ignorance but hitman pro alert not are free? or ar hitman pro alert free?

"This license is valid for HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert"

I bought a 3 PC - 3 Years license (eur.59.90) - having full confidence in the program.

Definitely my mistake.

To use all functions of HitmanPro.Alert you need to pay for it (CryptoGuard, risk reduction which includes exploit prevention etc.).

see my reply to "The Banned".

Interesting i dont know because i get rid hitman pro alert a years ago, but i dont use java i only use embebed flash player on ie or chrome or edge and have adguard, i just curious ¿Is compatible Malwarebytes antiexploit whith emsi?. I think emsi alone does a great job whith no additions, adguard gives me some peace on mind. Is really necesary overload the system? Hitman pro, malwarebytes antiexploit, spywareblaster etc

You are right, basically EIS would be sufficient - I have added a little extra (MBAM), but, admittedly, I don't know if on top this combo another tool is necessary (like MBAE).

MBAM was highly recommended to me, some time ago.

But I confess -

EIS + MBAM

or

EIS + MBAE

of

EIS + MBAM + MBAE

which combination would be the best, I wouldn't know...

so, to avoid possible conflicts or slowdowns, I assumed...  EIS/MBAM would be sufficient.

This combo is doing fine and MBAM has an active dedicated forum.

=

• Upvote 1

I have now EIS (yes i decide upgrade when i see now the firewall industry are down, agnitum crash, privacyware dont update from 2013 etc) i add zemana antimalware premium whith realtime proptection on execute I dont see any issue only FPS from Zemana and that was i have prereslesed games from steam and that not are know for zemana (Rarely they use cloud tecnology and emsi dont and emsi knows and lear the program and zemana quarintine directly) but affter doing the corresponden exclusions and restored zemana fps all work well. Hitman pro alert for me is a complex software good complement i dont think have any issue whith emsi but i stop use it a years ago. MBAE calls me i install now but maybe i will uninstall because it dont let add emsi to exclusions.

Good combo

EIS -Adguard

My Combo

EIS-Adguard-MBAE-Sandboxie

Sorry i dont want to hijack a user post or broke rules, for me is interesting because i like Hitman pro in the past i use it whith emsi and don see conflicts and gives me another layer of protection really invisible to me. I hope contribute to this post

so, to avoid possible conflicts or slowdowns, I assumed...  EIS/MBAM would be sufficient.

This combo is doing fine and MBAM has an active dedicated forum.

I have been using MBAM for awhile now. It sits on my machine, basically doing nothing. I have seen some recent zero-day testing which leads me to believe that their product's abilities have declined considerably. It still sits on my machine, eating roughly 200MB of RAM while idle, because I don't see a complimentary program that will replace it. I tried Zemana Anti-Malware but I don't trust software that claims to have a real-time scanner but keeps all the important data in the cloud.

@pezzy I don't know... EIS, MBAM are there as protection. Now maybe you just didn't run into malware, visited 'obscure' sites, so there no need for EIS or MBAM to take action and they are both there doing nothing (=protect you against .. nothing).

This combo is running fine on my machine.

Any program I download, I have it tested by EIS/MBAM and on top by VirusTotal. I also  check Internet whether there are any 'reports'.

This way I believe that I am taking reasonable steps to avoid infection. Sofar, the few cases where I downloaded stuff that included trojans, they were immediately quarantined by EIS,

So for years now my pc remained clean.

Sure, there are a lot of other programs out there claiming to keep you free from any malware.

For me, I do appreciate a dedicated support forum, with developers joining the discussions where necessary.

Like  Emsisoft and Malwarebytes...

=

@emwul64 go and register @ http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discussion-thread.324841/ . than talk to Erik Loman (Developer) about your problems. I did the same and I got help in a technical way also with my license. Hitman Pro/ Alert works very smoothly with EMSI in the way of an extra layer of security, as Elise told! ;)

@emwul64 go and register @ http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discussion-thread.324841/ . than talk to Erik Loman (Developer) about your problems. I did the same and I got help in a technical way also with my license. Hitman Pro/ Alert works very smoothly with EMSI in the way of an extra layer of security, as Elise told! ;)

I just noticed this, and agree.  I use HMPA on 3 computers alongside EIS and it is very smooth.  Also from my observations on Wilders, I'd rate surfrights support as excellent as Emsisoft's.  No response to an email, can also mean, the email got lost.  It happens.

I just noticed this, and agree.  I use HMPA on 3 computers alongside EIS and it is very smooth.  Also from my observations on Wilders, I'd rate surfrights support as excellent as Emsisoft's.  No response to an email, can also mean, the email got lost.  It happens.

Yes, I know, emails may get lost.

Regretfully though there was not a single response on my 5 mails.. , sent on 3 different days and using the correct email addresses, so I gave up on them.

Maybe they were/are too busy with their organization or so, as they have been sold to Sophos.

Don't get me wrong: I don't say their product isn't good, it may very well work fine for others. I dropped it: no support.

=

HMPA support seems to be very good on the Wilders forum, usually they'll answer within a day. Seems to be a very good program but still a bit buggy in some instances, however, devs are very good at fixing any bugs.