Skatman88

Compatibility with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Hi Guys,

I'm having issues running Emsisoft Internet Security (EIS) 11 and Malwarebytes Ant-Malware (MBAM). When restarted and both applications are running, MBAM.exe is showing at utilising ~50% of my CPU on its own. I've set the exceptions up so that both EIS and MBAM "trust" each other, however it's still using far too much CPU. This problem only occurred AFTER the installation of EIS and MBAM worked absolutely fine with both Kaspersky and Emsisoft Online Armour which I was running previously. I've currently uninstalled MBAM because of the issue, however I do not want this to be a permanent fix because I've paid for the premium version of it!

If you need me to provide any logs, please give me a shout.

Skat.

Hi Skat smile.png

I'm currently running both Emsisoft Internet Security 11 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro without any issue. Did you try uninstalling Malwarebytes using clean-mbam.exe, and then reinstalling it?

Malwarebytes clean removal process - https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/146017-mbam-clean-removal-process-2x/

Also, are you currently on the stable version of EIS 11, or do you have the beta updates enabled? If so, which version of EIS are you on?

Technically Emsisoft Internet Security isn't considered compatible with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware due to the fact that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware uses a WFP driver to capture network traffic for their website blocking, and that driver could cause problems with the WFP driver used by Emsisoft Internet Security.

Hi Skat smile.png

I'm currently running both Emsisoft Internet Security 11 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro without any issue. Did you try uninstalling Malwarebytes using clean-mbam.exe, and then reinstalling it?

Malwarebytes clean removal process - https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/146017-mbam-clean-removal-process-2x/

Also, are you currently on the stable version of EIS 11, or do you have the beta updates enabled? If so, which version of EIS are you on?

Thanks for there response. I'll give this a go now.

Technically Emsisoft Internet Security isn't considered compatible with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware due to the fact that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware uses a WFP driver to capture network traffic for their website blocking, and that driver could cause problems with the WFP driver used by Emsisoft Internet Security.

Do you have any idea how disable this feature on MBAM?

You mean, disable the Web Protection module in Malwarebytes? It isn't recommended since you're removing a layer of protection, but to disable it, open Malwarebytes, then click on Settings, and go to the Detection and Protection tab, and set the Malicious Web Protection to Disabled.

eXwOs8U.png

Disabling Web Protection won't disable the driver, which is what causes MBAM to be incompatible with EIS in the first place. The only way to be sure is to uninstall MBAM.

Disabling Web Protection won't disable the driver, which is what causes MBAM to be incompatible with EIS in the first place. The only way to be sure is to uninstall MBAM.

Or run a certain command in the Command Prompt to remove the driver, however if Malwarebytes has written their software to replace it automatically on reboot like we do in our software then that won't help. It could also potentially cause issues with their software if you remove their drivers, as they may not have error handling for that (I'm sure they don't expect people to be deleting their drivers).

If you want to try it, then I can whip up some instructions on how to do it, however I wouldn't expect it to have the desired result.

Wait. Does that mean that Adguard for Windows is also incompatible since it uses a WFP network driver?

Wait. Does that mean that Adguard for Windows is also incompatible since it uses a WFP network driver?

Normally it would, however Adguard does have the option to not use a WFP driver and act as a proxy instead. I am also running a long-term test to see if it does have any issues, and haven't encountered any yet. Adguard doesn't use both WFP and NDIS drivers like firewalls do, so it is a little bit different. If there are problems, then turning off the WFP driver and switching to proxy mode would resolve them.