Mostafa Elbadry

is emsisoft own engine is dead

hello,

i haven't seen definition update for emsisoft engine for along time and all the detection is done by bitdefender only is emsisoft is going to remove it's own engine if not why emsisoft engine didn't receive an update for along time ???

In the past week signatures for our engine have been updates 37 times:

https://www.emsisoft.com/a2/changelog/antimalware/

So I am not exactly sure why you think you didn't get any updates. 

I used Emsisoft for a year now, and i noticed is that Emsisoft had more Bitdefender signature over Emsisoft signature.What i really want to see is balance signature between Bitdefender and Emsisoft, and i'm not saying this is bad that Bitdefender have more signature than Emsisoft, but i want to see the balance detection for both of them and not just Bitdefender signature over ran Emsisoft signature. Matter of fact, other people test Emsisoft products, i can tell that Bitdefender signature rather shows more detection than Emsisoft signature. 

I used Emsisoft for a year now, and i noticed is that Emsisoft had more Bitdefender signature over Emsisoft signature.What i really want to see is balance signature between Bitdefender and Emsisoft, and i'm not saying this is bad that Bitdefender have more signature than Emsisoft, but i want to see the balance detection for both of them and not just Bitdefender signature over ran Emsisoft signature. Matter of fact, other people test Emsisoft products, i can tell that Bitdefender signature rather shows more detection than Emsisoft signature. 

What difference does it make.   All that really matters is EIS/EAM does the advertised job, and it does!!!

What difference does it make.   All that really matters is EIS/EAM does the advertised job, and it does!!!

This. Also, if Bitdefender updates their database to include a detection, what's the point on keeping it in Emsisoft's engine database? It'll create useless redundancy. I think there's post here that explains that (how it works when Bitdefender and Emsisoft both detect something). I think Fabian posted about it, I'm not sure.

In the past week signatures for our engine have been updates 37 times:

https://www.emsisoft.com/a2/changelog/antimalware/

So I am not exactly sure why you think you didn't get any updates. 

i mean emsisoft detection rate i don't mean host and whitelist update !!1

another thing is there any limitation in some emsisoft license ... i mean that some license have access to one engine and others have license to two engine 

sorry for all Questions 

It is matter because when i use the product i want to see the actual product perform, not other assistant product over taking it. So this mean that i want see the Emsisoft detection more than Bitdefender  because this basically telling me that Emsisoft doesn't need to reply on Bitdefender for detect sophisticate threats. But if Emsisoft reply on Bitdefender a lot  then i ask myself why should i buy this when it just reply on Bitdefender signature? If it just only reply Bitdefender then i should get myself Bitdefender products. Also, i do understand that having two engines detect the same threat is redundant but at least i want to see more Emsisoft detection than Bitdefender detection. And i do know that reply on signatures along is not going to save you at all, because new malware can be see on the internet for just a minute. 

i mean emsisoft detection rate i don't mean host and whitelist update !!1

I know, that is why I only counted signature updates. Whenever you see an exact signature count in the change log above, one of our signatures was updated.

It is matter because when i use the product i want to see the actual product perform, not other assistant product over taking it. So this mean that i want see the Emsisoft detection more than Bitdefender  because this basically telling me that Emsisoft doesn't need to reply on Bitdefender for detect sophisticate threats. But if Emsisoft reply on Bitdefender a lot  then i ask myself why should i buy this when it just reply on Bitdefender signature? If it just only reply Bitdefender then i should get myself Bitdefender products. Also, i do understand that having two engines detect the same threat is redundant but at least i want to see more Emsisoft detection than Bitdefender detection. And i do know that reply on signatures along is not going to save you at all, because new malware can be see on the internet for just a minute. 

Sorry, what you ask is impossible. It should be obvious to anyone, that if you have a scan engine that already detects 95% of all malware out there, that the other engine can't suddenly detect more than that without causing gross redundancy. In general we can choose to waste hundreds of megabytes of RAM on hundreds of thousands of systems to keep duplicate signatures around so you feel validated in your purchase, or we can choose not to do that, not to waste everyone's resources. To be honest, that's not even a choice really.

• Upvote 2

Why? Let's take Fabian's example. If Bitdefender's engine detects 95% of malware Emsisoft's products detects, and Emsisoft's engine detects 5%, if we are talking signature-based performance, I'm pretty sure it would make Emsisoft's products better, no? If Bitdefender only relies on their engine, 95% of detection is their 100% detection ratio, but, Emsisoft have their 100% detection ratio worth only 95% of their detection ratio, and increase it by 5% with their own engine. Look up how many entries there is in Emsisoft products, 5% is a lot. Based on this, Emsisoft products would be way better, no? Plus, Emsisoft have something a lot of other Antivirus vendors do not offer: behavior blocker, which is if you ask me, one of the most efficient way to block exploits and new malware in the wild on a system. As far as I know, Bitdefender doesn't have something like that.

And let's take your idea of having an "equal amount" of detections (signature-based) for both Emsisoft and Bitdefender engines. Let's take the same numbers once again, 95% (Bitdefender) and 5% (Emsisoft). You're telling us that someone should transfer around 45% of the definitions from Bitdefender's engine to Emsisoft's? How? Why? What would you gain out of it? Absolutely nothing. It would just be a major waste of time for the developers behind Emsisoft's products, time they could spend improving the products and working on new features instead.

I'm sorry, but your "ideal" here doesn't make sense at all from a logical point of view.

*The numbers I used in this post were just used as an example, to present my points. I do not know if these numbers are real, nor do I imply they are so you shouldn't consider these at all when judging both Bitdefender and Emsisoft products.

the update contain (e_spyw.XXX) and (emalware.XXX) is bitdefender update right ?

They are. However, lines like these are for out updates:

2015-12-02 10:41:
Signature update (revised) - 2118 Signatures: 2036 Trojans, 78 Spywares, 4 Worms

2015-12-02 10:19:
Signature update (revised) - 2117 Signatures: 2035 Trojans, 78 Spywares, 4 Worms

Also whenever you see a *.sig file being updated in your update logs, it was an update for our signatures as well.

With the current security landscape of PUPs making up the majority of infections, 5% of signatures specializing in PUP detection can make a world of difference.

What matters is that it works well - why care about engines?

The charts in this blog post may be of interest:

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/03/25/antivirus-anti-malware-anti-pup-what-is-emsisoft-really/

Especially the "detections by engine", which is interesting given the fact that only the delta signatures on top of Bitdefender are active in our products.

• Upvote 1