EAM Compatibility with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Alan_S

In thread “Compatibility with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware” in the EIS forum, GT500 says:

Technically Emsisoft Internet Security isn't considered compatible with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware due to the fact that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware uses a WFP driver to capture network traffic for their website blocking, and that driver could cause problems with the WFP driver used by Emsisoft Internet Security.

Would this apply to EAM too, or does it relate to the firewall part of EIS?  

(I assume WFP means Windows Filtering Platform?)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm up for EAM renewal, but I prefer a multilayered approach including Malwarebytes.  Is EAM likely to incorporate the WFP driver in 2016?  If so, I need to switch rather than renew.

Yes, it is likely to get one. However, we are trying to stay compatible to other applications, as we don't plan to use WFP for any filtering in particular.

Yes, it is likely to get one. However, we are trying to stay compatible to other applications, as we don't plan to use WFP for any filtering in particular.

I wish I had known this earlier.  I ended up buying another AV program, as I was short on time left on EAM.  :(

In general your setup is a bit excessive. Problems are bound to happen eventually.

So far the only problem I'm facing is this (purchasing 2 copies, receiving only 1)

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/19538-2-copies-2-emails-but-1-key/

I do not expect a problem though since each program fulfills a different function.

Bitdefender is the only anti-virus program, anti-exploit is the only exploit program, and Adguard the only ad blocker.   But since I do have 2 anti-malware programs, that could be where I run into an issue.

I've been using this setting up for years without issue. :)  The only new goodie is I'm using Adguard rather than uBlocker & Emisoft rather than Iobit.

Actually, EAM is an anti-virus as well. The last version also added additional features for exploit mitigation. Bitdefender also includes exploit mitigation. Lines are really blurry and while we usually try to maintain compatibility, chances are if you combine a lot of tools, no effort on our end will help you keep your system stable. After all we have no influence on what other companies are doing.

Actually, EAM is an anti-virus as well. The last version also added additional features for exploit mitigation. Bitdefender also includes exploit mitigation. Lines are really blurry and while we usually try to maintain compatibility, chances are if you combine a lot of tools, no effort on our end will help you keep your system stable. After all we have no influence on what other companies are doing.

We'll cross that bridge when we cross it.  I do not have your anti-virus install, just the anti-malware.  I'm sure there are some differences between the two.

Hi Morningstar

You might want to consider removing bitdefender.   I just checked and Bitdefender seems to be causing problem with Sandboxie.  Also I don't think you need it.  I tend to take all the lovely scam emails, which I know are bad and run them against my setup.   EAM always is first to shut them down.   I do run other security software, but I have found a collection that works well together.  What I use is:

EIS

Sandboxie

Appguard

ERP (Anti executable

Heimdal Pro

No conflicts and they work well together.

Oh and I am sticking with Win 7 for the foreseeable future.

Pete

Hi Morningstar

You might want to consider removing bitdefender.   I just checked and Bitdefender seems to be causing problem with Sandboxie.  Also I don't think you need it.  I tend to take all the lovely scam emails, which I know are bad and run them against my setup.   EAM always is first to shut them down.   I do run other security software, but I have found a collection that works well together.  What I use is:

EIS

Sandboxie

Appguard

ERP (Anti executable

Heimdal Pro

No conflicts and they work well together.

Oh and I am sticking with Win 7 for the foreseeable future.

Pete

I do not use Sandboxie, so I'm not worried.

A dedicated and proven anti-virus program, which is marketed and designed as an anti-virus program is always a requirement for my build.   So Bitdefender is going nowhere.  

In fact, I recently stop using Kaspersky in favor of Bitdefender, because the latest version of Kaspersky doesn't seem to play well on Windows 10.