zonie853

Daily BSOD with Emsisoft Internet Security

Good morning,

I'm seeking assistance resolving a problem I believe is related to a recent installation of Emsisoft Internet Security.

A couple months ago, I uninstalled Emsisoft Online Armor and ESET NOD32 Antivirus and installed Emsisoft Internet Security.  The process went great, no hiccups.

About that time, my computer began blue screening on average once per day.  Rarely, it's happened 2-3 times in one day, or I'll go 2-3 days without a blue screen, but mostly it's just once per day.  I have not been able to correlate the BSODs to any specific times or activities.  The last two occurred at 4:58 am and 7:34 am, so I don't think it's related to an update check, since I have those scheduled to be done at the top of the hour.  Sometimes, the BSODs happen while I am actively working on my computer.  Other times, they happen overnight while my computer is supposedly in Sleep mode.

I did not want to jump to the conclusion that Emsisoft was causing the blue screens, so I did a number of tests first.  I ran MemTest twice, no issues.  I ran chkdsk and sfc /scannow, no issues.  I updated my network and display drivers (trying to think of things Emsisoft would use that are always running), no change.  I ran MalwareBytes (in addition to the Emsisoft scan), nothing detected.  I ran Windows Update several times in succession until it stopped recommending new updates, no change.

Finally, as a test, I uninstalled Internet Security (I also turned on Windows Firewall and beefed up router firewall settings).  For two straight weeks, I did not get a single blue screen.  Okay, I thought, maybe I just had a bad installation.  I re-downloaded the installer and installed Internet Security again two days ago.  Sure enough, within 24 hours, my computer blue screened again.  And then again this morning.

I've attached my last few minidump files and System Information (as a .txt, it wouldn't let me attach .nfo), but briefly, here are my specs:

Alienware 17

Intel i7-4900MQ CPU @ 2.80 GHz

Windows 7 x64 SP1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

system information.txt

112115-15943-01.dmp

120715-26254-01.dmp

120815-14367-01.dmp

I've analyzed your dumps.

The BSOD is caused by a bug in Windows.

There's a hotfix available from MS:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2958399

We recomment that you uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security, install the hotfix and then install

Emsisoft Internet Security again.

Please note that the download from Microsoft will not install the hotfix.

It will attempt to extract the installer for the hotfix to your C: drive so that you can run it

and install the hotfix, however this will fail unless you run the download from Microsoft as an Administrator.

The easy way around this is to change where it extracts the hotfix installer to something like your desktop

so that it is easy to find and doesn't need to be run as an Administrator,

and then you should see the new file on your desktop to install the hotfix.

If you need a link to download Emsisoft Internet Security when you reinstall it, then you can use the following link:
http://dl.emsisoft.com/EmsisoftInternetSecuritySetup.exe

Well, the hotfix is installed, and EIS is reinstalled.  I'll post back in a few days to say whether or not it worked.

I do feel a little bit silly, because I saw a link to the same hotfix on your forums a little while back: http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/16624-blue-screen-of-death/

Microsoft says the hotfix only applies to SQL Server cluster nodes, so I figured it didn't apply to me.  I do have an instance of SQL Server Express installed though...I suppose that counts.

Thanks again.