bernx

Update EIS failed with VYPRvpn

I've attached a ZIP archive to this message called traceroute_batch_file.zip which contains a batch file that will run some checks to see if your computer can connect to our update servers. Please save this ZIP archive somewhere easy to find (such as on your desktop), and then right-click on it and select to extract it. After extracting it, connect your VPN, then find the file called traceroute_emsisoft_update_servers (it may be in a new folder that was created when extracting the traceroute_batch_file ZIP archive), and right-click on the traceroute_emsisoft_update_servers file and select to Run as administrator.

traceroute_batch_file.zip

Usually the batch file will run for a few minutes, and then a log will open in Notepad. Please save the log somewhere easy to find (such as on your desktop), and then attach it to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type your reply.

The VPN has a DNS problem. The log shows the attempts to resolve the addresses for our update servers failing.

If you know how to edit the HOSTS file, then that can be used as a simple workaround. Assuming you are connecting to a European VPN, the entries to the HOSTS file should look like the following:

93.184.221.133	dl.emsisoft.com
80.237.191.2	update.emsisoft.com
Regardless of whether you use this workaround or not, the best solution is for the VPN provider to look into what is causing this issue.

@bernx are you using the VyprDNS option in the VPN application? VyprVPN's DNS resolution can be horribly slow (I've noticed it with other sites before, sometimes exceeding 5 seconds for a NS response)

you could try it as a troubleshooting step, but it would provide an opportunity to leak the IP address assigned by your ISP (assuming you're using the VPN for privacy purposes)

OpenDNS should work fine if you can enter their addresses in VyprVPN. Here's their DNS server addresses:

Very strange... I am currently connected via VyprVPN to test and updated EIS without problems.

The version of VyprVPN used is 2.7.8.6317 on WIN10 64bit. Default settings with OpenVPN protocol.

post-34417-0-00073700-1449937870_thumb.jpg
Download Image

Tested now on "france" and no problem...

did you clear your DNS cache before testing it? when i'm trying w/vyprdns enabled, it fails to resolve dl.emsisoft.com or update.emsisoft.com using nslookup before timing out.

@bernx maybe try disabling dns leak protection, reconnecting and seeing if it works after that (you can try it w/either VyprDNS or another DNS provider specified)

did you clear your DNS cache before testing it? when i'm trying w/vyprdns enabled, it fails to resolve dl.emsisoft.com or update.emsisoft.com using nslookup before timing out.

Flashed... no problem as before... I must be the only one for which it works :D

Flashed... no problem as before... I must be the only one for which it works :D

if you run nslookup dl.emsisoft.com from cmd, what dns server does it say it's using? i'm wondering if the vpn client isn't properly pushing a DNS server. when i looked at @bernx's dns batch test result, it seems like it's trying to reach the DNS server on their LAN (192.168.0.254) - if you specified a local dns cache (say, the IP address of your router, if it's running as a local forward resolver) i wonder if it would fail as well. in my case, it's failing because windows prefers IPv6 in all cases, and VyprVPN breaks IPv6 connectivity when you connect to prevent IP leakage.

@bernx if you go into windows adapter settings on either computer and specify IPv4 DNS servers of 208.67.222.222/208.67.220.220 and reconnect to the vpn, does it work then?

I did but no connection after, can't go to internet

try setting it on your primary adapter, not the tunnel adapter - the tunnel one is dynamically configured when the VPN comes up. leave the tunnel on automatic.

if you run nslookup dl.emsisoft.com from cmd, what dns server does it say it's using? i'm wondering if the vpn client isn't properly pushing a DNS server. when i looked at @bernx's dns batch test result, it seems like it's trying to reach the DNS server on their LAN (192.168.0.254) - if you specified a local dns cache (say, the IP address of your router, if it's running as a local forward resolver) i wonder if it would fail as well. in my case, it's failing because windows prefers IPv6 in all cases, and VyprVPN breaks IPv6 connectivity when you connect to prevent IP leakage.

@bernx if you go into windows adapter settings on either computer and specify IPv4 DNS servers of 208.67.222.222/208.67.220.220 and reconnect to the vpn, does it work then?

nslookup fails but it seems that it not a good way to test as everything works fine (EIS updates without problems and from ipconfig all is configured as intended).

post-34417-0-51088700-1449943616_thumb.jpg
Download Image

post-34417-0-04266400-1449943625_thumb.jpg
Download Image

post-34417-0-81237700-1449943632_thumb.jpg
Download Image

I do not know how but the computer on again , the updated EIS was done with the default configuration VyprVPN . it's really strange and this is what happens regularly , once it works and once not. :unsure:

Maybe their VPN has DNS issues?

Does having the firewall in EIS turned on or off have any effect on this issue?

OK, hopefully it was just an issue with the VPN service, and this is a sign they have corrected it. ;)

OK, it's good that you have a way to get updates while connected to the VPN.

Have you reported the difference in how it works with different protocols to the makers of VyprVPN yet?

Got very curious about this thread, so I installed EIS.   I use NordVPN.   No problems at all with updates while using the VPN.    Been 24 hours already.  Will continue to monitor

I did a ticket to VyprVPN support, I'm waiting.

Today, I have not issue for updating EIS but I know that tomorow or later the issue will come again .