Alan_S

An unexpected and disappointing end to OA

My Online Armor licence expired today.  Obviously, I knew this would happen but I was not prepared for what would happen.  Stop updating, certainly, but to suddenly kill off the program completely?  Not possible to start it, not even possible to use the Configuration Panel?  I think this was a brutal ending to a long relationship with OA. 

The cutoff is intended to ensure that people don't continue to use an outdated and unsupported security product. Online Armor hasn't been updated in more than 2 years, and is already at a disadvantage compared to firewalls that are still being maintained. Since it won't be updated for newer versions of Windows, and it won't be updated to fix bugs and handle newer threats, it's not good to continue using Online Armor.

That being said, Online Armor did have a freeware mode that could be used once a premium license key expired, however that required Online Armor to be able to connect to our license servers and ask for a new license, which is now impossible as new licenses can't be activated for Online Armor.

That is disappointing to hear.  I thought that you'd at least be able to use the free features available (without the benefit of the black / white list updates).   

Since my license won't expire until well after they no longer update OA, I certainly hope I will be able to continue using the app in at least a limited fashion. 

If not, I probably would be much less inclined to patronize Emsisoft in the future (as I have maintained more than one license with them for several years) should I move on to another Windows platform.

EDIT TO ADD:

I just read Arthur's reply which was posted as I was typing.  While I understand what he is reporting, it is disappointing nonetheless.

We understand that many of our customers have been disappointed by the discontinuation of Online Armor. It's always difficult when one of your favorite softwares gets discontinued.

For those of you who are interested, some users have mentioned that GlassWire seems like an acceptable alternative to Online Armor. I've personally never used it, nor have I seen any testing, however I'm sure you can find plenty of opinions at Wilders and or course YouTube. ;)

Thanks, Arthur, but from what I checked (this morning) about Glasswire, it does not support XP so I'm not going to begin fussing with it.

I removed OA Premium this morning (what's another few months?) and will look into other alternatives (or just using the Windows firewall).

Since I rarely ever use XP for any online activity of any kind, the point will be kind of moot.  (Using Chromebook for virtually all online activity these days.)

If you could, Arthur, perhaps you can freeze and preserve the time remaining on my two licenses so it will be available to me should I continue with a Windows product down the line.

Perhaps I was a bit unclear in my original post. Should have waited to simmer down first.  My complaint was not that OA is at an end. Obviously I knew this and I fully understand Emsisoft's position.  No, it concerned the way it was implemented.  The abrupt chop.  Just happened out of the blue with no warning at all.   I've seen nothing about this on the Emsisoft web-site.  E.g. in the thread "Will Online Armor work after 31st March 2016?" I still can't see even a hint that anything like this would happen.  Nor in the 'OA support roadmap'.  Well, it's water under the bridge now, but Emsisoft should have handled it better.  Perhaps a little cautionary pop-up and then a few days grace? 

The Emsisoft Online Armor support roadmap mentions that "New license activations will only be possible until the end of May 2015." While it is not specifically stated in that article, Online Armor needs a license key even in freeware mode, and that license key needs to be generated and activated by our License Center. Since our License Center is no longer performing those functions for Online Armor, it will no longer be able to configure Online Armor to operate in freeware mode. Once a premium license key ends, it will no longer be possible to use Online Armor.