Firefox 43.0.2 causing constant alerts from EAM & EAM keeps forgeting my decision

gugarci

I updated my PC this morning to the latest version of Firefox 43.0.2 & ever since I did that EAM is constantly flagging Firefox's update component during start-up & EAM 11.0.0.5984 is not remembering my decision to always allow that component. It keeps asking me same questions over & over again & it never remembers my decision to always allow. Every time I close Firefox & reopen it the EAM alerts begin again & they are coming mainly from the behavior blocker. This is starting to really get on my nerves. Is EAM broken or is this version of Firefox the issue? This is happening on my Windows 7 Pro x64 desktop. I have not tried running the latest version of Firefox yet on my laptop running Windows 10 Pro x64.

Update my Windows 10 Pro x64 laptop is not having this issue with the newly released Firefox 43.0.2. 
This is only affecting my Windows 7 Pro x64 desktop. turning off the behavior blocker solves this issue. But I'm hoping for a reply/fix to the problem
I don't want to use EAM long term with one of my components turned off.

I've added 3 more attachment images to show the problem. On both images it's referring to a Mozilla process called updated. But the actual process is called updater. See the last screen shot from the Mozilla folder. Also I have firefox.exe & update.exe all allowed in my  Emsisoft application rules. 

Again this is happening only on my Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 desktop right after updating to the latest Firefox built today, 43.0.2. My Windows 10 Pro x64 is not having any issue with Firefox 43.0.2

post-17334-0-92517000-1450921834_thumb.jpg

post-17334-0-96522700-1450921841_thumb.jpg

post-17334-0-52976100-1450921848_thumb.jpg

Those alerts are strange, as they are from a folder mozila\updated\firefox.exe  yet your last picture shows firefox in the correct location.    Open the GUI click on protection and under application rules, search for firefox.   If the rule is for the correct location, I'd make sure all allowed is for all3  columns    If it's for the updated folder, I'd delete it.

Then check your machine and see if that folder exists.   I don't have one on my win 7 x64 pro system.   If it does I'd see if I can figure out why.

One other thing totally unrelated.  I noticed in your folder listings you have c: local disk and d: local disk.  If you ever had to restore an image that could be a disaster.   I'd rename them so you have something like c: Primary   d: Secondary.     That way you can always identify the drives.

Pete

Under the Emsisoft application rules I have all allowed for firefox.exe & updater.exe. But there's nothing in that folder called updated. 

UPDATE:

I hate to type this because I'm suspicious. But as of this morning the alerts have stopped. Maybe it was a funky definition file that was causing the alerts & Emsisoft fixed it. If it happens again I will continue to post to this thread.

Thanks & Happy Holidays.

If the issue happens again, then please let us know if our latest beta version fixes this issue. Here's how to install the beta:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.
  • Upvote 1

Mozilla has changed the way Firefox updates under the hood

In EIS/EAM go to Protection>Application Rules and in the search box put in Mozilla.  you should have Firefox,Plugin-Container and Maintenanceservice.exe   all set to all allowed.

Pete

Good to know.

Although it's working without those 2 processes allowed. I'm not going to change anything since it's working but will change it If i encounter another issue.

Thanks.

Check above in the thread to be sure you have the two mozilla programs I mentioned allowed.

What's going on is maintenanceservice actually runs as a service.  When you update Maintenanceservice.exe is called and checks your Firefox status, then it calse Update.exe from the folder you see.  That then updates firefox for you.   Kinda like scratching your left year with your right hand.