Emsisoft not working at all !

Today started the PC, Emsisoft updated then requested that it needed to restart to load the update, 

and thats when the problem occurred, a pop up appeared,saying  

A major problem has prevented the application from starting Emsisoft 

cannot connect to the service,please restart the computer and try again 

or contact support if the problem persists.

I restarted the PC ,several times in fact,still Emsisoft would not start,clicking on the icon,would

not open it at all, then some more pop ups,   Emsisoft waiting for component (service)to start.

So after many tries to solve the problem ,without success,i completely uninstalled Emsisoft, 

and downloaded a new copy, while installing another pop up, Runtime error (at31.1605) windows

cannot verify the digital signature background for this file....     the icon in the tray is a brown shield

with a X in middle.    

I hope you will be able to help me with this problem,I have 9 other PC s with Emsisoft and all updated

today no problem, it Windows 7 ultimate,32bit.     I have had to install Zemana Antimalware just

to give me some protection till I can fix this problem. i have scanned with Hitman Pro, Herdprotect,and MalwareBytes  all clean no viruses.

Thank you Worgeordie

Update, this has now occurred on another 3 of my PC's, they update then

ask for restart,then fail,I am now afraid to check the others, HerdProtect 

scan reports Emsisoft not signed,   also the icon brown shield with X says

background guard.

I need help with this urgently 

regards Worgeordie

Try the fix did not work, while reinstalling,the Runtime error (at 32.1605) is reported

saying Emsisoft is not signed ? also noted on HerdProtect scan.

regards Worgeordie

P.S. I am in Thailand

You need to install Windows Updates. Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 doesn't include support for SHA2 certificates, and currently the Emsisoft Protection Service is only signed with a SHA2 certificate.

At the very minimum, you need to have this update installed on Windows 7 (along with Service Pack 1 of course) to add SHA2 certificate support to Windows 7:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3033929

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46148

You need to install Windows Updates. Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 doesn't include support for SHA2 certificates, and currently the Emsisoft Protection Service is only signed with a SHA2 certificate.

At the very minimum, you need to have this update installed on Windows 7 (along with Service Pack 1 of course) to add SHA2 certificate support to Windows 7:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3033929

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46148

I already have service pack 1 installed, so downloaded the microsoft security update ,as advised,but it said not applicable to 

your PC ?, now what, and did this just happen today ?,

regards Worgeordie

This issue started out of nowhere on Morning of Jan 6, rude awakening.

Adding your recommended update partially fixed the issue. At least i can open the interface now. Still no real-time protection available, For once installed remaining Security updates for Win7 as well - no go.

After multiple re-installs i think i am missing some file that Windows is still blocking, wasn't there the epp64 file? Don't have that anymore.

This issue has been fixed in an update, and you can install that update by doing the following:

• Download this ZIP archive, and save it somewhere easy to find (it might be easiest to copy it to your Desktop).
  • Right-click on the cmd_update file that you downloaded, and select Extract all.
  • A folder should open with a new file that is also called cmd_update, but with a white icon with light-blue gears on it.
  • Right-click on that new cmd_update file that has the gears icon, and select Run as administrator.
When the update process is done, you may need to restart your computer before Emsisoft Anti-Malware will start working again.
  • Upvote 1

Just tried it and nothing really happens. Here is the message that displays in the cmd box. I ran as administrator

Attempting to update using command line ...
Please always use the /s command when running Emsisoft Commandline Scanner from
within the same folder that contains an active Emsisoft Service component or shu
t down the Service if it is no longer needed.
Press any key to continue . . .

This issue has been fixed in an update, and you can install that update by doing the following:

• Download this ZIP archive, and save it somewhere easy to find (it might be easiest to copy it to your Desktop).
  • Right-click on the cmd_update file that you downloaded, and select Extract all.
  • A folder should open with a new file that is also called cmd_update, but with a white icon with light-blue gears on it.
  • Right-click on that new cmd_update file that has the gears icon, and select Run as administrator.
When the update process is done, you may need to restart your computer before Emsisoft Anti-Malware will start working again.

I did all you said with the Emsisoft 11.0.0.5984 with turned updates off. Then I clicked 'update' and all is fine now. It works. Thank you very much indeed GT500 ! The problem is solved. 

Downloaded and ran the batch file (not in Admin),rebooted 

and its seems to have worked,at least the shield is green

and it says I am protected, now to do the rest of my PC's.

Now do I renew my licenses in a few days time?,well I have 

been using Emsisoft for 6 years,with no infections on any

of my PC's,there was only a similar clinch a few years ago, 

when the files got too big for the program ?,and Emsisoft

would not work,but they fixed that as well quickly,so I think

i will continue to use them.

regards Worgeordie

Well, I still out of luck. Glad to see others getting this to work. but no luck here

Pat

I suggest to uninstall Emsisoft by Revo Uninstaller or something like that. Then download Emsisoft 11.0.0.5984. Block internet connections. Switch off updates. Do all that says GT500 and turn on internet. Then click 'update the program' from tray or from interface of antivirus.  

I suggest to uninstall Emsisoft by Revo Uninstaller or something like that. Then download Emsisoft 11.0.0.5984. Block internet connections. Switch off updates. Turn on internet and do all that says GT500. Then click 'update the program' from tray or from interface of antivirus.  

where can I find that version Emsisoft 11.0.0.5984 to download?

Thanks for the help

Pat

Well I think I finally got it to work again. Just a few data points. This program was always in my "Program Files (x86) folder. When I recently uninstalled it and re installed it would put it in my Program Files. It never worked there. No matter what I would do. Even when I installed the version emsisoft 11.0.0.5984. I was getting the same message on start up. "No real time protection".  I was using revo uninstaller to remove this program and all traces.

I did a system restore to right after Christmas and after that was complete, emsisoft did an automatic update. But the program is back in the Program Files (x86) folder somehow.

So everything seems to be working now.

This was not much fun lol. But I have been using this since 2011 and I have never had a virus.

Thanks again for the help

Pat

• Upvote 1

I understand your frustration due to the lack of any concern from the supporters of this program. They created an update, that caused all these issues and left us to figure it out on our own. Having to hunt down a older version which was not easy, removing our current version, then running some batch file that did not even work for me.

I had to restore my computer to an earlier date to fix my issues, others had luck with the older version install trick.

Use this tool to remove your older version and then you can install again

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/7904-reinstalling-emsisoft-when-it-is-already-installed/

The link is in post number 2

Hope you figure it out

Pat

If you can't enable any protection modules, the installation of the EPP driver is likely corrupt. It can be easily fixed though:

1. Download the reset_epp.zip script from here: http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/reset_epp.zip
  2. Unpack the script to a location of your choice. To unpack just right click the file and select "Extract all". Pick the location you want the file extracted to and follow the wizard.
  3. Right click the extracted reset_epp.bat file and select "Run as administrator".
After a reboot you should be able to enable the real-time protection just fine. If not, please let me know. 

Prior to the update that we now know caused failure issues, was an ongoing problem that I wasn't aware is attributed to this software; until I uninstalled this software.

For about a week now, I've not been able to restart either of 3 drives (all Win7 x64) on a multiboot system  without shutting down completely; (an issue that I thought might have been the fault of a corrupt MBR) until I removed the offending software, and solved the issue; However, this morning (and against my better judgement) I reinstalled the failed software, (which to my pleasant suprise, works again) but to my dismay, also restored the restart issue; at least relative to the one drive I reinstalled the software on. It is also the only drive I cannot boot into from either drive 1 or 2.

So apparently, THERE IS SOMETHING in one of the many updates (going a back about a week) that's causing this.

Hey Fabian-

I am still having issues this morning and it is randomly popping up all over the map for us. Multiple clients and multiple users-

If we uninstall and reinstall, will we be faced with the same issue again, or was there a patch added to updates?

On all of these machines with the Major error start up message, I cannot access the dashboard, and the .bat file solution has not worked on any of them.

Thank you for the quick reply.

So is the uninstall/reinstall method going to be the solution as of right now? Need to communicate to our technicians what to do when clients call in. Thanks.

It's another way when updating EAM/EIS through the script I posted earlier doesn't work or the Windows patch can't be installed. If you do go the re-install route there is a chance that you may not be enable guards. In that case:

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/19529-emsisoft-not-working-at-all/#entry144442