hamidreza90

Can't enable protection components

Hello,

I m having the same problem: partial protection..

first i had no protection. i updated windows multiple times. verified that kb3033929 was installed.

then uninstall EIS, clean folders and registry. install EIS again.

the weird part is i had all protections active EXCEPT firewall (yesteday) and right after an auto update: all protections were inactive except firewall.

I have no other security or tweaking prog installed. I ve run the emsiclean prog:

* Scanning for traces of supported Emsisoft products *
Service/Driver:
  a2antimalware (C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Internet Security\a2service.exe)
Context Menu Handler:
  C:\PROGRAM FILES\EMSISOFT INTERNET SECURITY\a2contmenu.dll
  C:\PROGRAM FILES\EMSISOFT INTERNET SECURITY\A2CONTMENU64.DLL
Registry:
Folder:
  C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Internet Security\
Scan finished!

any help would be appreciated. thank you

It appears your installation got a little bit messed up. We can easily fix it though:

1. Download the reset_epp.zip script from here: http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/reset_epp.zip
  2. Unpack the script to a location of your choice. To unpack just right click the file and select "Extract all". Pick the location you want the file extracted to and follow the wizard.

3. Right click the extracted reset_epp.bat file and select "Run as administrator".

After a reboot you should be able to enable the real-time protection just fine. If not, please let me know. 

• Upvote 1

Hello Fabian

it worked fine! thank you.

Could you tell me what is the probable cause of this issue so that i'll avoid doing it in the future.

Also, out of my curiosity, what is that .bat doing :)

thx again :D

The original cause was most likely that your system was missing an important Windows update or you disabled the installation of said update earlier. Microsoft considers SHA-1 no longer trustworthy and has started disabling support for it. The first stage of that process started on January 1st this year. As a result we started signing our binaries with SHA-2 instead. The problem with SHA-2 is, that Windows 7 doesn't fully support it. Microsoft rectified this problem by releasing a patch early last year. Said patch is for some reason missing on your system, so Windows didn't recognize our signature anymore after the last update. As a result various components would no longer start properly and the installation became corrupted. 

We have resolved that problem in the meantime by dual signing all our executables using both the old way as well as the new way. That way unpatched Windows 7 installations will find a signature they still recognize while patched installations and newer Windows versions can take advantage of the new and more secure signature. This will only be a temporary fix though until Microsoft disables SHA-1 signatures completely.