I wanna come home! (to EAM)

Gabbie

Because I was uncertain as to continued EAM compatibility with MBAM (re the WFP driver in EIS), I switched to another highly rated AV-AM program just before my license was due to expire Dec. 20th or so.  Then, too late, came the reply of your intention to stay compatible, after I had already purchased this other program, which I have grown to HATE. 

Even with my fixed-income retirement budget, I want/need to return to the light-on-resources EAM so that I can actually DO things on my computer!  Note that I didn't switch because I disliked EAM -- it's actually pretty easy to live with.   :)

Is it possible -- if I can renew my prior license? -- to restore my EAM user & program folders from backup and then do an install to avoid having to add all the program exclusions and going through EAM's "learning"?   

Thanks.

Hi bro I have a similar situation to you and i can not solve your cuestion. I only say you i think you can renew your licence. When i leave emsi they stop my counter licence and i return very happy whith all my days in my licence. I renew my licnece today whith a discount and catch ad blcok and is a wonderful product a very nice combination. I think you can renew or bougth a new licence. Respect emsi learning time i think you can not backup your seetings or carch a backup the emsi learning are slow but if you take the time your computer fly. I only took 1 hour runing all my programs and now whith the new improvements emsi shows less FP or alerts. I think the best way is using your computer normally and let emsi learn. I have 50 steam games but only play 10 i dont need emsi check the others while i dont play them. Welcome to home

I finally emailed Support, where David suggested that I could try restoring my backup copies of the EAM .ini files, which struck me as a great idea.  So here are the steps that worked (perfectly!) for me:

1.  Copy the EAM .ini files (stored in c:\Program Files\Emsisoft) from external backup drive to a local folder.

2.  Uninstall the Other AV-AM program & reboot.  Make sure it's really uninstalled (check folders, etc.).

3.  Install previously downloaded free-trial EAM installation file (will deal with renewal/new license later). 

4.  In EAM under the Settings/General section, hit the Export Settings button just in case things go wrong -- I exported to a specific folder I use for such things.  All applicable EAM .ini files are exported to stated location with one button press.

5.  Use the Import Settings button (once for each .ini file) to import the .ini files saved in step #1.  (As I did this, EAM immediately applied those settings -- lovely).

6.  I chose to go ahead and reboot, just to be sure.  I did then notice the old problem of tray icons not showing up on reboot, the ONLY thing I liked about the Other program, where a reboot caused no problems. But I can live with that -- I generally hibernate my laptop anyway -- EAM is otherwise really easy for me to live with -- it does its job but stays out of my way, not a resource hog.

So for anyone else out there who, for whatever reasons, wants/needs a new installation of EAM but wants to keep the time-consuming settings such as Application Rules, this method is a winner!  And I'm a happy camper with my tried and true EAM.  :)

Thanks again, David! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA:  I just wanted to add that David really worked with me on this to come up with this solution -- we had a number of emails back and forth, making sure ahead of time that I was set on the proper path, with the result being success the first time through.  So he deserves kudos for his efforts. 

Hi brother i will catch it i suggest it in feedbacks and now i will take your method because i have too many games and apps and the learning was very slow and now i can solve more time I wish that post or metod will be published in a pined post David gives you a great support