Guest Christan

High Disk Usage and Slow Updates

Guest Christan

I seem to be having trouble with EAM on our Windows 8.1 laptop, whenever it updates the disk usage stays well above 90% and at times it can take up to 3 minutes or more to download and install the updates, depending on how long the computer has been off. I have grown so tired of this problem that I've considered going to a different company, but this isn't present on my Windows 7 laptop and it will download all of the updates within less than a minute.

I was also considering upgrading my license to Internet Security since all of the main bugs have been worked out since its initial release, I was wary of using it when it first came out and people reporting a BSoD.

Updates work by downloading the changes since the last update, then decrypting and decrompressing the database files, merging the changes into them, and then reencrypting and recompressing them. This can take a lot of processing power to accomplish, however it is the only way to reduce the size of the updates that are downloaded, and it effectively reduces them to a small fraction of what they normally would be.

Many other products work this way as well.

The only potential workaround would be to use the Task Manager to change process priority or affinity for a2service.exe, however this may also cause the computer to hang, and isn't recommended. If it did work, then it would not only slow down processing of updates, but also everything else that Emsisoft Anti-Malware does, potentially leading to other computer performance problems.

Guest Christan

On 8.1 the CPU is fine but its just the huge amount of disk that its using that bugs me and its only when it updates or scans. The only thing each computer has in common was that McAfee was pre-installed on both machines and I did as McAfee suggested to remove from Add or Remove Programs first and then use their removal tool.

On 8.1 the CPU is fine but its just the huge amount of disk that its using that bugs me and its only when it updates or scans. ...

Do you have a lot of files in your Quarantine? When updates are installed, everything in the Quarantine is rescanned so that false positives can be automatically restored, which can cause extra disk usage.

There shouldn't be any reason for disk usage to be that high during updates then, unless you have a scheduled scan set up to run more than once a day.

Do you know what hard drive the computer in question has?

5400 RPM is often what is used in the average computer. A lot of people consider them to be slow, especially in laptops, however I don't think they're slow enough to cause the issue you're experiencing without some other issues such as major filesystem fragmentation. We can get an idea of what sort of read/write speed the hard drive has using a benchmark tool like CrystalDiskMark. Here's a link to download the portable version. It's a ZIP archive, and you'll need to extract it somewhere before running it.

When running it, change the size from 1GiB to 100MiB (the database files are not large enough for us to care about the performance with really large files), and then click the green button that says All in the upper-left. For reference, here is what mine looked like after running the test (click on it to make it larger):

post-18745-0-93355200-1454142297_thumb.p
Download Image

Yes, it's safe. Well, the portable version is safe. The installer version says something about ads, which is why I didn't link to it.