plat1098

100% disc use at startup with RTP enabled

Hello;  I have another question.  Recently installed Windows 10, and like many, MANY others, was experiencing inordinately high (100%) disc use at startup with annoying system instability dragging on for a while afterward.  After fiddling around, I managed to decrease the amount of time the disc use stayed high, but only achieved a really decent result after disabling Real Time Protection at start up. I should also say that Emsisoft is the only item enabled, and disc use is 100%.

The not-so-great part is if this is disabled, the icon no longer appears in the notifications tray on the taskbar.  I also don't get notifications about its having updated, and in fact, had to manually do the updates a couple of times.

What do you suggest?  There is no way I can see to make it an Automatic (delayed) start up.  Right now it's either wreaking havoc when it's enabled at boot or it's not there on the desktop and doesn't update automatically.   Is there a simple adjustment? 

Thanks!

What I'm doing now is manually enabling Real Time Protection, and as soon as that happens, System and Compressed Memory/Windows Explorer go sky-high and stay that way for too long, with a lot of instability for a while afterward. Plus, any updates aren't being shown via the little popup, so I'm reluctant to adjust any kind of update setting at the moment. There's still a Windows old folder, is there some kind of link?  I set Windows Explorer to Manual--trigger but that clearly doesn't work the way you intended.

snip:  left is Emsisoft disabled after startup, right is Emsisoft enabled manually This is currently a bare bones machine with nearly 1 tetrabyte of free disc space.

post-41660-0-53618900-1454250435_thumb.png
Download Image

post-41660-0-37373100-1454250451_thumb.png
Download Image

Windows.old indicates you updated to win 8.1 and is the old files from the previous OS.  Not sure what is going on so at this point it is best to wait for the Support folks.

OK.  Just want to avoid tampering with any Emsisoft settings if possible.  It's updating as it should with a manual enable, so that's good at least. 

Add: I installed Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and then had to do a reset on top of that.  Currently, this machine has Windows 10.  The Windows old folder started out with almost 7 gigabytes of "stuff" and has gradually been pared down to 1.3.  I still can't delete it, though, to see if that's the root cause of this annoyingly high disc use. When it goes up like that, I see Emsisoft isn't simultaneously loading, its databases either, so I'm still trying to determine whether just its presence at startup is factoring into this issue. 

Biggest contributor to boot time increase is the memory usage optimization, which uses the disk instead of the RAM to store signatures, as well as the pre-boot scanning. So I would suggest disabling both the "Protect the computer even if no user is logged on" option under Protection/File Guard as well as the "Activate memory usage optimization" option under Settings/General.

• Upvote 1

Oh that's good, thank you, I'll implement that adjustment as soon as I straighten out another issue that happened today.  Twice, EIS has said to restart the machine to complete the installation of core components.  The first resulted in a glitch to where there was no little green icon in the notifications tray and I couldn't call up the interface.  So, uninstalled and reinstalled.  The second time, same thing. The little green icon isn't there, I'd deleted the shortcut due to clutter, but I have the Emsisoft icon in the start menu tiles. OK, pin the icon to taskbar. Clicking on it does nothing, just creates more Emsisoft processes in task manager. No interface appears on the desktop.

Help!

Add:  I read another post on this problem and am currently trying to uninstall Emsisoft and the uninstall window just sits there with "cancel" in grey.  Tried to end task and the machine just froze, couldn't even shut down normally.  I had to pull the plug out of the wall.

Not a good situation right now.  How do I uninstall this program?

OK, well this is noteworthy.  There's another post in this forum with the same issue and the same security combination.  I uninstalled HitmanPro Alert, and voila, the Emsisoft interface is back. It works now. 

I installed a still-active Malwarebytes Anti Exploit, but this is a serious issue.  What happened between HitmanPro and Emsisoft? 

It's possible that there is a compatibility issue with the latest Emsisoft Internet Security update and HitmanPro.Alert. Exclusions should fix it, however you may have to ask SurfRight about how to add exclusions, as they don't appear to have instructions on their website (at least none I could find in a quick Google). You'll probably only need to add our folder, which would be one of the following:

C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Internet Security

C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Internet Security

If you need to exclude each individual file, then here are the ones that will need excluded:

• a2guard.exe
  • a2service.exe
  • a2start.exe

Much as I dislike changing any setting on something that worked without prior issues, the two adjustments suggested by Fabian Wosar were effective with several boots, so thank you for those.

Did Emsisoft beef up its real-time protection lately  :)?  I wasn't too off the mark in suspecting real-time protection was contributing to these absurd disc issues but never would have guessed that uninstalling HitmanPro Alert would be the "fix"   Removing HP-A took care of the prolonged spikes and system jitteriness so the conflict was brewing before this latest Emsisoft update, maybe?.

I'll wait until the dust settles before reinstalling HitmanPro Alert and trying the exclusions.  It seems to be an emerging and consistent issue so I'm thinking some more updates and fixes will be upcoming.  Sure hope so!

Oh, thanks for the information.  This is a new build or just the "workaround"?  If you already uninstalled HitmanPro Alert, you can simply reinstall it and it'll contain the programming to be compatible with Emsisoft again?

Did Emsisoft beef up its real-time protection lately

There may be more than one issue, but we are still debugging. We do know that some changes made to the self-protection in our products don't seem to be compatible with HitmanPro.Alert (and possibly a few other third-party security products). We hope to have a beta available to resolve this soon.

... If you already uninstalled HitmanPro Alert, you can simply reinstall it and it'll contain the programming to be compatible with Emsisoft again?

As far as I know, the answer is "yes". You can contact SurfRight's support to verify this if you'd like by sending an e-mail to support@hitmanpro.com and they should be able to clarify information about their new release.

Edit: There's also a couple of posts from a SurfRight representative at this link with some more information.

Hmmm, OK. When you're contending with several issues, it's easy to lose your patience.  I already have a compromised Windows 10 so that's also factoring into it.

Not feeling the way this was handled by SurfRight. These matters are a two-way street, aren't they?  I checked their website briefly and there was nothing on this incompatibility issue.  Not liking that this "workaround" was dumped into one person's thread and left for people to figure out how to get it.  Certainly not jumping through hoops by contacting them when for me, the matter was resolved by simply removing their product.

Thanks for your help. 

In general it is kinda unfair blaming Surfright on this. They quickly provided us with their help when it came to figuring out the issue and both sides fixed the issue in less than 48 hours. Our website doesn't say anything about the compatibility issue either. Surfright don't maintain their own forum, but they do maintain various support topics in other big communities and the fix was announced there:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discussion-thread.324841/page-345#post-2561371

So your complaint seems to be a bit misguided in my opinion.