bram

Lost compatibility with Hitmanpro Alert

Hi,

After updating to the latest version of EIS it seems to have lost compatibility with Hitmanpro Alert. (Before the update everything was running perfectly fine)

After restarting the pc, the UI of Emsisoft fails to load. Also some other programs fail to start up. 

After uninstalling Hitmanpro Alert, everything runs fine again. (Just disabling all components in HMP alert didn't help)

I'm running W10 X64. 

I just updated to the latest version (11.0.0.6131) on a Window 7 x64, Windows 8.1 x64 and Windows 10 x64.  The Windows 7 machine has no issue at all, works as it always has.  On both 8.1 and 10 the a2guard.exe is in a suspended state in Task Manager and the icon does not show on the taskbar.   If I attempt to start the GUI, its process (a2start.exe) immediately goes to Suspended state and the GUI does not open.   

I also have HitmanPro.Alert installed on all of these machines as well as AppGuard.   AppGuard also fails to show its icon in the taskbar but I can manually start the GUI and it remains there as normal.

Anyone know what is going on with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 with EIS?

I had the same problem - after the update EIS wouldn't load. I have HitManPro.Alert installed as well. I was able to get things going again by just stopping and then disabling the HitManPro.Alert service in the services app. After I rebooted, everything started normally. I am running Windows 10 x64. All seems good now after a couple of more test reboots to be sure. I didn't have to uninstall HitManPro.Alert, but I guess I will leave it disabled until the next EIS update.

I have the same problem with last update of Emsisoft Internet Security 11 and Hitman Pro Alert.

After uninstall Hitman Pro Alert, EIS start to work correctly

Waiting a solution

I am running updated EAM and HMP.A (latest beta) with no issues currently except this: https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/19680-right-click-context-menu-scan-not-working/

I did notice my laptop (Win 8.1 64) did not boot properly on first restart required by the upgrade. But after a subsequent shut down and start, no issues (so far) except the one reported above.

I can't be certain it started with this latest upgrade.

I do not have that issue with EIS on my Win 7 64 laptop which has no HMPA.

It's possible that there is a compatibility issue with the latest Emsisoft Internet Security update and HitmanPro.Alert. Exclusions should fix it, however you may have to ask SurfRight about how to add exclusions, as they don't appear to have instructions on their website (at least none I could find in a quick Google). You'll probably only need to add our folder, which would be one of the following:

C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Internet Security

C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Internet Security

If you need to exclude each individual file, then here are the ones that will need excluded:

• a2guard.exe
  • a2service.exe
  • a2start.exe

After a new install of Hitman Pro Alert, I exclude all the exe of emsisoft internet security in HPA. Exclude folders is not possible.

I also exclude HPA in EIS.

But after a reboot the problem persist.

Exclusions aren't having any effect here either.   Since I cannot get EIS to open, I cannot perform any exclusions there but excluding the EIS processes in HMP.A has no effect on this problem.  EIS still fails to start, automatically or manually.  Again, for me this problem only occurs on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.  Windows 7 has no problem with the latest EIS and HitmanPro.Alert (3.1.6 build 356) together.

I am willing to provide any data needed to help solve this.  If that requires a remote session or logs, let me know.

My versions are on the left. I do not experience this issue atm.
But I also have not yet restarted my computer to enable the new components from the latest EAM update 11.0.0.6131. So I guess this incompatibility was introduced with that new version.

EDIT:

Aaaaaand there we go: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discussion-thread.324841/page-345#post-2561371

Changelog

• Fixed incompatibility with Emsisoft Internet Security 11.0.0.6131

As always awesome fast support by the Surfright guys (and Emsisoft of course!). smile.png

We have made a workaround for the above mentioned incompatibility.

If you are experiencing the above behavior, please try the following build (no need to uninstall first).

HitmanPro.Alert 3.1.7 Build 357 PreRelease

Changelog

Download

http://test.hitmanpro.com/hmpalert3b357.exe

Please let me know if this update fixes the incompatibility.

• Upvote 2

If you are experiencing the above behavior, please try the following build (no need to uninstall first).

HitmanPro.Alert 3.1.7 Build 357 PreRelease

Changelog

Download

http://test.hitmanpro.com/hmpalert3b357.exe

Please let me know if this update fixes the incompatibility.

Yes, it works for me. Thanks and kudos for the quick response!

Fixed it for me Erik on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.  Thanks much!  Somehow I thought you might be the one to fix this.

We just made a workaround. I am pretty sure that the Emsisoft team will also push out an update as they are on top of it too. We both have small teams so we can move quickly to address pressing issues.

I am running updated EAM and HMP.A (latest beta) with no issues currently except this: https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/19680-right-click-context-menu-scan-not-working/

I did notice my laptop (Win 8.1 64) did not boot properly on first restart required by the upgrade. But after a subsequent shut down and start, no issues (so far) except the one reported above.

I can't be certain it started with this latest upgrade.

I do not have that issue with EIS on my Win 7 64 laptop which has no HMPA.

The workaround has fixed the above issue.

Thanks Erik. ;)

Our development team has also been working on this, and we hope to have something in beta to resolve it before too long.

We published our fix as a beta update a couple of minutes ago. So if you are affected by it, switching the update feed to Beta under Settings/Updates should get you the new build.

• Upvote 2

Fabian, I have a Windows 10 Pro VM on the Insider Fast ring and am running the latest build 14251.  I had deliberately not updated EIS past 6054 so I could test your release.  On this VM I also have HitmanPro.Alert build 355 and AppGuard.  I selected the beta update feed and updated.  EIS prompted me to reboot.  Upon reboot my desktop was black.  Couldn't do anything.  Tried some recovery things and finally uninstalled EIS.  Upon reboot all was back to normal.  No telling what happened but now going to install stable build 6131 and see what happens.....

What happened was I installed EIS 6131 stable I get a popup window saying "EIS can't protect your computer.   A computer resource problem prevents EIS from loading essential protection components."

This VM has 4 cores and 8GB of memory and is mostly idle.  I see no errors in event viewer.  Firewall is the only active protection. I disabled memory optimization and rebooted.  Still get the same warning about can't proctect my computer.   

Anyone have any ideas?

We do not support pre-release versions of Windows 10. There are a couple of issues with Redstone at the moment, which are largely unrelated to the problem mentioned here though.

Well, luckily Microsoft released another build to the fast ring last night and after that update EIS is back to normal.  Problem is you shouldn't use the reset windows feature in the previous build or the current one.  I used that at the end of my troubleshooting and it caused more problems than it solved.