Nikilet

Red & Orange Alerts

I keep getting red and orange-colored alerts from Emsisoft about a program called Folder Marker. I'm pretty sure it's a safe program because I purchased it through Cloud Eight as one of their promotions. Could you take a look at these alerts and help me out with them. I get them occasionally on other things too and I never know for sure what to do with them.

post-26590-0-74880900-1454460781_thumb.jpg
Download Image

post-26590-0-46530000-1454460791_thumb.jpg
Download Image

I guess I'm wondering if I'm right to trust the program. What does it mean when you get alerts like this? Does it mean the program is actually doing something it should not do? Not being a computer guru I don't know what kind of indication it is when my security program tells me my progam is "tryin to download data invisibly from the Internet" or that it's "attempting to access disk sectors directly."

So I guess I'm asking a guru on this forum if it's ok. My trust of the program comes from my trust of the source who offered it to me. So if my trust in them is misplaced I'm out of luck. That same source also highly recommended Emsisoft to me. 

I usually hit "Allow Once" figuring if it's doing something wrong I haven't given wide open permissions. I guess what really spooked me today is noticing that sometimes the warnings are RED.

Nikilet, in the screenshots you posted this morning, it shows the MD5 and SHA-1 hashes for the files in the "More information" in the alerts. Would it be possible for you to copy and paste at least the SHA-1 hashes (that long string of numbers and letters following where it says SHA-1) so that I can look the file up?

Please note that you can also search for the hashes on VirusTotal at this link to find reports on the files the alerts are for, which can help you determine whether or not a file is safe when you see an alert but aren't certain about the safety of the file.

I've forwarded this to our malware analysts for them to take a look at it. The file looks legitimate to me, and it should be safe to select "Allow always" the next time you see an alert for it.