MarkD

Cannot use RDP over VPN

Hello

I am using Emsisoft Internet Security (and have been for many years). My home PC runs Windows 10 Professional.

My job is IT and I regularly need to establish a VPN connection to my employer's network and then use RDP to connect to the servers/desktops to install Windows updates, check the backup etc. I have been using VPN/RDP for about 10 years.

About the 14th January I was suddenly unable to establish an RDP connection and have not been able to do so since.

I tried various troubleshooting methods and this morning I uninstalled Emsisoft Internet Security and was able to establish an RDP connection. I use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection Manager V2.2. After establishing the VPN connection I open RDCM, right-click a server and the log in dialog usually appears immediately. I have tried connecting to my work Windows 7 Pro client and to Windows server 2008, 2012 and 2012 R2.

Since 14th Jan, when I right-click a server and choose Connect Server, the connection attempt times-out.

So, this morning I uninstalled EIS and everything worked - the RDP connection to the server was immediate: the server log in dialog appeared straight away. I downloaded the latest version of EIS (I always keep EIS up to date with signature and program updates anyway), installed it, and after installation I am again unable to establish an RDP connection. I have also tried the standard 'Remote Desktop Connection' Desktop App but that fails too.

My home network uses 192.168.0.xxx and my work network uses 192.168.1.xxx. I use an LMHOSTS file to identify the Windows domain and to map the IP/name of our data server.

I have tried rebuilding the TCP stack, SFC, and even tried adding the servers to the HOSTS file.

I was hoping that after reinstalling EIS the firewall would prompt me and ask if I wanted to allow the RDP connection request to be sent but I see no response from EIS at all. I have also tried disabling all EIS components but the RDP connection still times-out.

Can anyone help me with this, please?

Thanks.

Hello,

then we need debug logs for our developers to check the issue.

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security from the icon on your desktop.
  • In the 4 little gray boxes at the bottom, move your mouse into the one that says Support, and click anywhere in that gray box.
  • At the bottom, turn on the option that says Enable advanced debug logging.
  • Either click on Overview in the menu at the top, or close the Emsisoft Internet Security window.
  • Then restart your computer and reproduce the issue you are having.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, open Emsisoft Internet Security again, and click on the gray box for Support again.
  • Click on the button that says Send an email.
  • Select the logs in the left that show today's dates.
  • Fill in the e-mail contact form, and be sure to mention who was helping you, and if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message.
  • If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  • Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.

Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.