Sign in to follow this  
Koosharem

CLOSED Device Driver Error

I also just downloaded and installed EEK (v11.0.0.6082) on a flash drive.  Upon launching it the first time, I was promped to check for updates and, they too were downloaded and installed.  Next, I ran Custom scan that seemed to complete successfully.  About that time I got an "error" pop-up from Windows saying: "a device driver was not found/not installed successfully/device unplugged".  Buy this time the user interface for EEK had "closed" so, I couldn't check the log to see if anything had been found during the scan.  I attempted to re-launch EEK but it would no launch a second time!!

I returned to the Newsletter that I accessed the EEK download from and saw a link for "an online version" of EEK.  Have I misunderstood something here -- is the fact that I have installed my copy of EEK on a flash/thumb drive mean I cannot get the updates??   Why would I get an error about a device driver (I've been using my USB ports quite regularly with no problem).

I'm running Windows 7 and the following security programs:

Windows 7 PRO(64bit) SP-1; 16GB RAM
Windows Defender
Emsisoft Internet Security (malware & firewall)
Malwarebytes Home Premium
WinPatrol/WinPrivacy/WinAntiRansom
Task Catcher (BillP Studios)

If you copy the EEK from your USB flash drive to somewhere on your computer's hard drive (your Desktop for example), are you able to run it and start an update like normal?

GT500,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  And, YES, after copying the EEK to a folder on my HD I was able to launch the program and go to the User Interface.  There it showed the software was up-to-date and, I was was able to setup and run a Custom Scan.  Some where in there, I also saw it update some signatures.  So, in all aspects, by launching EEK from the HD, it seems to work fine.  I'm a bit disappointed at losing the "isolation" (from the PC) provided by the USB flash drive but, "so be it".

As an after-thought, I noticed in the Update Log (when I got to view it after  the HD-launch today), a "Comm Error" is shown yesterday and, five minutes later, a second entry showing a successful update involving "a2hosts.dat" and a long list of signature updates -- all totaling an 18.7MB update.  Perhaps that error was the culprit . . . but, I don't understand why/how it could prevent me from re-launching the EEK from the USB flash drive later yesterday.   :unsure: 

It's possible that there's something wrong with the USB flash drive, or perhaps EEK is having an issue with running from USB devices on your computer. Do you have any other programs that you run from this USB flash drive, and do they work OK?