HazBeen

EAM Surf Protection GUI Problem After 2-23-16 Beta Update

For nine months, EAM's Surf Protection has been successfully running custom a2user.dat files containing up to 2.5 million undesirable URL entries, and I am currently running an a2user.dat file containing 1.6 million entries.  

I have always been impressed that these large numbers of entries in the a2user.dat file have not slowed the Surf Protection feature or negatively impacted EAM.

The February 23rd beta update, to EAM version 11.5.0.6182, is causing a repeating error message when attempting to access the Surf Protection page of the GUI by right-clicking on the EAM Tray Icon and selecting "Host rules".

post-35543-0-98256700-1456412560_thumb.jpg
Download Image

If I right-click on the Tray Icon and I select "Security Overviews", the GUI will open. If I then select "Surf Protection" from the Overview GUI page, the Surf Protection page will be presented, but the Hostname List will not populate for about 45 seconds.  And sometimes, the Hostname List will not populate and an error message will occur.

post-35543-0-75675100-1456412663_thumb.jpg
Download Image

Replacing the custom a2user.dat file, with an empty (zero entries) a2user.dat file, totally eliminated the error messages and, whether using the Tray Icon or the "Security Overviews" access points, the Surf Protection page's Hostsname List populates immediately with EAM's built-in list.

Changing from Beta Updates to the Stable Update channel, returned me to using EAM version 11.5.0.6131, which now runs my original 1.6 million entry a2user.dat file without any error messages and it immediately populates the Hostname List when the Surf Protection page is revealed.

I'll stay with the Stable Update channel until a correction is offered through Beta Updates.

I can provide you the a2start.el Eureka Log, if that would be helpful.

Good luck!

So you are saying that the recent Stable Hotfix dated 022316 is OK, but that the Beta dated 022316(02-22-16,if you hover over the link) is slightly different and causes you this problem. This would indicated that the 2 patches have differences. Thanks for the input. I always hold off when reboot patches or any changes are released in order to be mostly certain the patch is without issues.

I would like  Emsisoft support to confirm your conclusions before I proceed to allow updates as it's been 2 whole days since it was released. I will stay tuned. Thanks

It is true that this problem is not related to the several Stable Update Hotfixes, but that the problem began after this Beta Update.

In an effort to determine the threshold of entries in the a2user.dat file that triggered the error message, I incrementally reduced the number of entries in the a2user.dat file.

I found that with EAM beta version 11.5.0.6182, and 12,500 entries in the a2user.dat file, the following Error Message occurred without the User Interface opening when I right-clicked on the EAM Tray Icon and selected "Host rules".

post-35543-0-52441400-1456458220_thumb.jpg
Download Image

When the a2user.dat file is reduced to 12,250 entries, no error message occurs and the User Interface opens with the Hostname List immediately populated.

Good luck!

It is true that this problem is not related to the several Stable Update Hotfixes, but that the problem began after this Beta Update.

Not everything in that beta was released in the hotfix, such as the improvement for "Emsisoft Security Center startup speed and UI responsiveness".

Lets get some debug logs (please be sure to put your large a2user.dat file back in place before doing this):

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on your desktop.
  • In the 4 little gray boxes at the bottom, move your mouse into the one that says Support, and click anywhere in that gray box.
  • At the bottom, turn on the option that says Enable advanced debug logging.
  • Either click on Overview in the menu at the top, or close the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, open Emsisoft Anti-Malware again, and click on the gray box for Support again.
  • Click on the button that says Send an email.
  • Select the logs in the left that show today's dates.
  • Fill in the e-mail contact form, and be sure to mention who was helping you, and if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message.
  • If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  • Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.
Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

Arthur: I appreciate your guidance on submitting Debug Logs, which I have e-mailed through the Support UI.

Just in case this information is useful...

The nearly 1.6 million entry a2user.dat file size is 73.8 Mb.  

The 12,500 entry a2user.dat file size is 1.2 Mb.  

The 12,250 entry a2user.dat file size is 1.1 Mb.

Good luck!

Arthur: Yes, the issue is fully resolved.

I fell back to Delayed updates, and then cycled through Stable updates and Beta updates -- with OS restarts in between each step -- and the issue has been totally eliminated across the board.

Thank you for your followup and for everyone's efforts that fully resolved this issue.

It is customer service like this that validates my past decision to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 in order to remain an EAM user.

Good luck!

I'm glad to hear that the update has resolved the issue. If you need anything else, then please be sure to let us know. ;)