redactor

Windows Updates & non-Windows Security Software

First let me state clearly that this is not, strictly, an Emsisoft problem, but there is a problem nonetheless.

I've been using EIS for almost a year now. One on the things I learned early on was that EIS (and Online Armor before it) turned the Windows Firewall (hereafter WFW) off upon installation. Nevertheless, when I've gone poking around I've discovered on more than one occasion that, contrary to the stated procedure, WFW was running on my Windows 10 Pro x64 (currently v.1511). Each time I've found WFW running, I've turned it off, most recently, just yesterday.

Today Microsoft published two updates for Windows 10:

• Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140743)
  • Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3139907)

Three times  Windows notified me of the updates; each time they failed with error code 0x800706d9. After the third failure, an online search yielded, amid all manner of irritated discussion and gnashing of teeth, a description of the error and ways to fix it. It turns out that this error is related to Windows Firewall and the fix is simple -- turn Windows Firewall ON. As soon as WFW was running, the updates proceeded without further ado.

There is, at the very least, a very annoying issue here. Third party security software, like Emsisoft, presumably with Microsoft's approval, is supposed to turn off WFW (and also Windows Defender). But now when it is disabled, Windows updates fail. What the *(^%#@!!

This is all very frustrating and time wasting. Microsoft and security software vendors, I submit, need to get  together and decide how this is supposed to go and then just make it work!

I'm not entirely certain if EIS actually turns off the Windows Firewall, or if Windows is supposed to do that automatically when a third-party firewall is registered with the Windows Security Center. I know that Windows turns off Windows Defender automatically (on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and possibly Windows 8 as well) when a third-party anti-virus is installed.

As for the Windows Firewall needing to be on for certain things, Microsoft did that in Windows 8.1 as well (the Windows app store didn't work without the Windows Firewall running). It's possible that we may need to wait for Microsoft to fix that.