Steve1209

Can EEK remove Ransomware?

Hi,

If I put EEK on an external USB stick drive can it help me to remove Ransomware on a friends computer?  Or do I need something else?  A friends computer seems to be locked up, any and all suggestions will be helpful!

I believe EEK will not work in safe mode with networking because last time I asked one of Emsisoft employee, and they said it only work in normal mode, but not safe mode. However, you can try and boot the PC into safe mode with networking to see if you can download other removal tools to get rid of ransomware locked up. After that, boot it back to normal mode and run EEK from there. 

Or 

You can try live rescue CD such as Avast, Kaspersky, BitDefender, or Dr.Web rescue disk. 

EEK should detect the vast majority of ransomware (is uses both BitDefender's database and our own database), and its detection rate is usually one of the best.

BTW: EEK works fine in Safe Mode. ;)

• Upvote 1

EEK should detect the vast majority of ransomware (is uses both BitDefender's database and our own database), and its detection rate is usually one of the best.

BTW: EEK works fine in Safe Mode. ;)

Really? Because last time some Emsisoft employee told me that EEK only works in normal mode, and that is like a year ago so I can't remember clearly what is my question was. 

Really? Because last time some Emsisoft employee told me that EEK only works in normal mode, and that is like a year ago so I can't remember clearly what is my question was.

There were some bugs previously that caused issues in Safe Mode. I tested before posting to make certain it does work. ;)