Momadice

The renewal perk Folder Maker program is concerning me . . .

I renewed my license.  Folder Maker was a perk / thank you for renewing Emsisoft.

When I followed all the instructions, and was able to download and activate the program, of course, I selected to run the program.  To my surprise your AV product gave me a warning not to follow thru with the launch of the program.  I thought to myself that this could possibly be a false positive. (But if emsisoft is the sponsor, why would emsisoft have not already white listed this program?

While using virus total to scan the suspicious file it returned with a 3 out of 56 saying this is a bad program.  This is not a good sign.

Summary:

Emsisoft offers this as a perk.

Emsisoft itself caught the very program they just offered and delivered to me for being a loyal customer.

Virus total has three bad warnings of the file.

Malwr.com also lists it as malicious by three bad signs

Will someone help me to sort this issue out? Although It looks very much like emsisoft is doing  the very thing it helps people with in fighting malware, it cant be because I know they don't do that.

When you tried to open Folder Maker, did you receive an alert from the Behavior Blocker, or a notification that it had been automatically quarantined?

This occurred on my first attempt to run the program.  I was looking forward to trying it.

It had a pop up that gave four options.

Allow Once

Allow Always

Terminate

Terminate and Quarantine

The pop up recomennded Quarantine it.

Those options are only available on Behavior Blocker alerts. These are usually displayed when a file isn't digitally signed, so we can't automatically verify the trustworthiness of the program. It's also possible that there was an issue with reading the digital signature.

Do you still have the download link you used when downloading and installing Folder Maker? I can take a look and see if I get the alert too.

The safest way to send a link that you don't trust is to run the link through VirusTotal's URL analyzer and then you can send the link to the VirusTotal analysis, or in this case you can just paste the link to the VirusTotal analysis into a reply.

OK, I'm glad to hear that everything is OK now. Please be sure to let us know if you need anything else.