redactor

Confusing (to me) EIS error message

I'm running Win 10 x64 and EIS v. 11.5.1.6247, and I'm trying to examine the state of an installed service (OpenVPNService). When I try to run Windows' services.msc utility, it won't start and either EIS gives an error message or Windows gives an error message about EIS (screen shot attached). I find this confusing since I don't understand what EIS and  a2hooks64.dll have to do with running a Windows utility -- services.msc. I suppose it's a cryptic explanation for why services.msc fails to run.

I've rebooted a couple of times to no effect. Can anyone shed some light on the matter and tell me what I need to do to remedy the situation. Do I need to reinstall EIS?

post-2831-0-94876600-1458759261_thumb.jpg
Download Image

I'd recommend a fresh install to see if that fixes it:

• Uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Restart your computer twice.
  • Download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from this link.

Arthur --

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Just as the problem appeared yesterday afternoon mysteriously out of nowhere (I had run services.msc just a couple of days ago with no problem, but that was before both an unexplained Windows update and an unexplained EIS program update), last evening, the problem disappeared just as mysteriously, when another attempt to run the Windows utility succeeded. So for now, at least, everything is back to normal. huh.png

If it happens again, we may be able to find something in the Windows Event Logs that could explain it.