havonasun

Update at boot

When I boot, usually from hibernation, EIS performs its definition update, and I experience a loss of control over the computer until it is finished. The process uses 60 to 100% of cpu resources.  I have tried to set it's priority to low, but I see no difference. Does it need to be so aggressive with the updates?

Do you ever shutdown your computer, or do you always put your system in hibernation, and wake up from it?

May I ask which version of Windows you are having this issue on? Also, do you know what version of Emsisoft Internet Security you are having the issue with?

Yes, I mostly hibernate. I do shutdown from time to time when I 'feel' like it needs it, which is about once every two weeks.  My desktop hibernates constantly, with a reboot only when necessary, or when applications demand it.  I've not experienced any issues with this method.

I am running Win7 Pro 32. EIS is at 11.6.1.6315. I could not find an 'About' anywhere in the GUI, so I found the version number from the executables.

I like that the software is diligent about being up-to-date, but I think it would be nice if it could delay until the system was fully booted and/or not be a resource hog.  I might be able to mess with the load order using the app from Sysinternals, but that would open a vulnerability; it needs to be first in, last out.  Since it keeps itself up-to-date anyway, I don't feel that there is such an urgency to be current, that I have to have a poor experience.  It's like a traffic jam where everyone wants to get through, but no one yields, and then it all just takes so much longer.

Changing the load order won't help (unless your computer takes more than 5 minutes to log in). EIS will wait to start its first update check until system load has reduced to 20% or less (which should mean that the login process has finished), or if system load does not drop to at least 20% within 5 minutes of logging in to Windows then EIS will start checking for updates.