G_girl

Unhappy About Online Armor End of Support

I'm disappointed I kept getting warnings on how many days I had to "renew", when in fact I am unable to renew/

Now I'm left in the lurch with no firewall that works for me. I had no idea OA was being cut off cold turkey at this point.

EIS I tried, had problems with it and it didn't have some of my favorite features of OA, like the country blocking in the firewall module, and the list of active connections, which was very useful.

I sat here for 5 minutes trying to renew as the interface told me and I read now that it's deliberate I couldn't connect to renewal servers.

No, it's  not working. It cut me off cold turkey after telling me i had X number of days to "renew". That day has come and doesn't let me renew, it just shut me off entirely. Even the trial or free options were a lie in the GUI.

I don't know what to do right now, I am very disappointed.  EIS does not have the features OA had like the easy interface to see and kill process on active connections, as well as the country blocking in the firewall module.

We were told when OA sold to Emsisoft that they would probably "integrate", not so much negate OA.

We understand that it's frustrating to find out like this, however please note that it's now been 1 year since we officially announced end of support for Online Armor, and it will only continue to function for the next couple of months before it will be cut off from updates and support will completely end.

We understand that it's frustrating to find out like this, however please note that it's now been 1 year since we officially announced end of support for Online Armor, and it will only continue to function for the next couple of months before it will be cut off from updates and support will completely end.

When will updates/support end? I was surprised to keep getting updates after march 31st - since of course i have OA installed & not decided on replacements yet...

Online Armor uses the same update system that was used by Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security. We've changed some of the addresses recently, but the old ones are still online since version 10 of those products is still in use by a few users on Windows Vista and Windows XP. The update system that Online Armor is using may not be completely shut down until we completely end support for version 10 of Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security, which will be at the end of this month.

Please note that the update system is more complicated than I am making it sound, and we do have the ability to pull the plug on a specific product at any time. Our management may have decided not to do it on April 1st if there were enough people still using Online Armor to justify keeping it online for another month (they haven't specifically said why it's still online), however once we have officially ended support for all of the old products that are still using the old address for the old CDN we used for updates for the past few years, then that old service will more than likely be shut down and the products will more than likely not be able to download updates anymore. That should happen some time after April, since Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security version 10 are the last products that I am aware of that we currently still officially support that use the old CDN address for updates.

Online Armor uses the same update system that was used by Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security. We've changed some of the addresses recently, but the old ones are still online since version 10 of those products is still in use by a few users on Windows Vista and Windows XP. The update system that Online Armor is using may not be completely shut down until we completely end support for version 10 of Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security, which will be at the end of this month.

Please note that the update system is more complicated than I am making it sound, and we do have the ability to pull the plug on a specific product at any time. Our management may have decided not to do it on April 1st if there were enough people still using Online Armor to justify keeping it online for another month (they haven't specifically said why it's still online), however once we have officially ended support for all of the old products that are still using the old address for the old CDN we used for updates for the past few years, then that old service will more than likely be shut down and the products will more than likely not be able to download updates anymore. That should happen some time after April, since Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security version 10 are the last products that I am aware of that we currently still officially support that use the old CDN address for updates.

Thanks for the reply - not much of a reprieve then - oh well, i'll likely stay till the end :)  I'm trialing EAM so we'll see how that goes - I was surprised there's no anti-executable in EAM or EIS 

... I was surprised there's no anti-executable in EAM or EIS

The Application Rules can be used to prevent an executable from running, however please note that it won't terminate an executable that is already running when the rule is created, or that executes while a2start.exe is not running.

The Application Rules can be used to prevent an executable from running, however please note that it won't terminate an executable that is already running when the rule is created, or that executes while a2start.exe is not running.

ok, thanks - but this is blacklisting -  i'd expected to see application whitelisting as is in OA at least in EIS

The Application Rules can be configure to always allow an application, and if you need to resolve compatibility issues then both EAM and EIS have a whitelist where files, folders, and processes can be excluded.

The Application Rules can be configure to always allow an application, and if you need to resolve compatibility issues then both EAM and EIS have a whitelist where files, folders, and processes can be excluded.

i meant 'default deny' - only whitelisted apps are allowed to run

No, EAM and EIS have no such feature.

right - not a big deal i guess - there are plenty of good options for whitelisting, but it's already in OA so i just assumed it would be carried over. I've tried EAM with Voodooshield and AppGuard so far - NVT ERP is next - no problems so far. I'd prefer to get EIS, but EAM is already quite a bit more $ then Webroot SA which i'm also trialing - let me know if there's any deals coming up in the next month that i could access from Canada for 3 licenses.

Generally, if there's a major holiday, then we probably have a promotion of some sort planned. Our marketing team doesn't tell us in advance about any promotions, but you can keep an eye on our blog to see any marketing/promotional stuff (and tech articles we publish as well), and if you'd like to be automatically notified when there's a new post then we have an RSS feed at this link.