herisson

Can't access network drive or KODI.

I can't map or access a shared drive without disabling the firewall (11.6.0.6267).

Network set to private. Reset firewall to default global settings.

Once connection established can re-enable firewall and use ok.

ALSO

Can't access KODI from Android without disabling firewall.

Once connection established can re-enable firewall and use ok.

Lets get some debug logs:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security from the icon on your desktop.
  • In the 4 little gray boxes at the bottom, move your mouse into the one that says Support, and click anywhere in that gray box.
  • At the bottom, turn on the option that says Enable advanced debug logging.
  • Either click on Overview in the menu at the top, or close the Emsisoft Internet Security window.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, open Emsisoft Internet Security again, and click on the gray box for Support again.
  • Click on the button that says Send an email.
  • Select the logs in the left that show today's dates.
  • Fill in the e-mail contact form with your name, your e-mail address, and a description of what the logs are for (if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message).
  • If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  • Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.
Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

Please note that if you have a lot of debugs logs, then you should not send all of them. There is a size limit, and currently there is no error if the message is rejected due to the size being too large. We only need the 4 or 5 different logs from after the time you reproduced the issue (the list shows what time each log was saved). Those logs have the following names:

• Security Center
  • Protection Service
  • Real-Time Protection
  • Firewall
  • Logs database (contains the logs you can view in Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Emsisoft Internet Security by clicking on "Logs" at the top of the window).

I did as you asked but the logs are empty. There's no record of the block but when the firewall is off access is allowed.

Were the logs completely empty (no entries at all), or did they just not contain anything that appeared to be relevant to the issue at hand?

I cleared them, then switched on logging the recreated the prob. The logs remained completely empty. They did have entries later but nothing to do with this issue.

Can you go ahead and send the logs, so that I can see if one of the other logs shows why the firewall log is empty. Just follow the instructions I posted earlier.

BTW: When you reply to the e-mail notification that our forums send you about new replies to your topic, the forums don't receive your reply. It actually goes to an unused e-mail account. Someone's been forwarding the e-mails to me, however if you'd prefer to have the conversation via e-mail rather than the forums then you can send you reply to support@emsisoft.com and it will go to our e-mail helpdesk system where either David or myself will reply to it.

Hello, and thank you for contacting Emsisoft Support.

Arthur had asked you a few questions after your last post. Did you forget
those? Regardless, let's move forward.

To start, please make sure both the EIS and Windows settings for your
network are both set to Private or Work (but both the same). I can provide
instructions if you wish. This alone should fix the problem, if they're
synchronized.

Second, please whitelist the Epson installation folder and driver (I won't
know where these are without gathering logs, but I can do that), like
this:

To whitelist a program folder in Emsisoft's File Guard:

1. Open your Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Internet Security product
2. Click "Protection", along the top of the window
3. Click "File Guard", in the row below where you clicked Protection
4. Click "Manage whitelist", a button on the middle-right side of the
window 5. This is where it gets tricky, because the interface is a bit
odd: Click the word "File". You should see a small "v" down arrow. Click
it, and change it to "Folder". 6. In the row immediately to the right of
"Folder", click. You should then see "...". Click the dots. 7. In the file
browse window that appears, navigate to the program installation folder;
something similar to C:\Program Files (x86)\programname\ 8. Leave all the
boxes checked (a check box means "ignore with this module"), and click OK
to add that folder to the exclusion list. This will add the entirety of
that program's folder to EAM's ignore (white) list. 9. Click OK again to
close the whitelist management window, and close your Emsisoft product if
you wish.

Let me know if that alleviates the problem.

If it does not, we'll likely need the debug logging that Arthur asked for
in mid-April, so it might be best to post back there if it comes to it.

Best regards,

David Biggar
Customer Support

Hi.

I can't find any 'simple' questions that I haven't answered. I sent the logs yesterday as requested.

EIS showed  the network as public (which was correct until this year).  Changing it to private in line with Windows has cured the problem.

This raises a few points:

If this is so important could there be a way of highlighting this discrepancy when it arises. I changed from a public to private network and changed Windows to reflect this.

Why were the failures to connect not represented on the firewall log?

And finally, why are there 2 sets of logs? There never used to be 2 sets of logs. It's very confusing.

Regards

Peter

David wasn't seeing your replies to my posts in this topic. He's not aware that you were replying via e-mail, and that someone was forwarding the replies to me.

If this is so important could there be a way of highlighting this discrepancy when it arises. I changed from a public to private network and changed Windows to reflect this.

The documentation should mention the difference between Public and Private. You can access that at any time by opening Emsisoft Internet Security and clicking on the little question mark in the upper-right of the window.

Essentially Public mode assumes you are connected to something like public WiFi where you need extra security, and thus it blocks a lot more. The reason there's no mention of this anywhere in the UI is simply because it is assumed that your Windows networking settings will be configured for the type of network you are using (Home, Work, or Public) and those settings are used to determine whether the firewall should treat your network as 'Public' or 'Private'.

The firewall logs only display things like changes to rules. Only the debug logs contain detailed information about what was blocked and what was allowed.

And finally, why are there 2 sets of logs? There never used to be 2 sets of logs. It's very confusing.

By 2 sets of logs I assume you mean the debug logs and the regular logs? The debug logs exist for our developers to debug problems. Since Emsisoft Internet Security isn't marketed to users who need advanced firewall logs, that information is only saved in the debug logs.

David wasn't seeing your replies to my posts in this topic. He's not aware
that you were replying via e-mail, and that someone was forwarding the
replies to me.

------------ QUOTE ----------
herisson:
If this is so important could there be a way of highlighting this
discrepancy when it arises. I changed from a public to private network and
changed Windows to reflect this. -----------------------------

The documentation should mention the difference between Public and
Private. You can access that at any time by opening Emsisoft Internet
Security and clicking on the little question mark in the upper-right of
the window.

Essentially Public mode assumes you are connected to something like public
WiFi where you need extra security, and thus it blocks a lot more. The
reason there's no mention of this anywhere in the UI is simply because it
is assumed that your Windows networking settings will be configured for
the type of network you are using (Home, Work, or Public) and those
settings are used to determine whether the firewall should treat your
network as 'Public' or 'Private'.

herisson:
-----------------------------

The firewall logs only display things like changes to rules. Only the
debug logs contain detailed information about what was blocked and what
was allowed.

herisson:
And finally, why are there 2 sets of logs? There never used to be 2 sets
of logs. It's very confusing. -----------------------------

By 2 sets of logs I assume you mean the debug logs and the regular logs?
The debug logs exist for our developers to debug problems. Since Emsisoft
Internet Security isn't marketed to users who need advanced firewall logs,
that information is only saved in the debug logs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: "Essentially Public mode assumes you are connected to something like public
WiFi where you need extra security, and thus it blocks a lot more. The
reason there's no mention of this anywhere in the UI is simply because it
is assumed that your Windows networking settings will be configured for
the type of network you are using (Home, Work, or Public) and those
settings are used to determine whether the firewall should treat your
network as 'Public' or 'Private'."

My Windows network settings ARE configured correctly. for the type of network I am using.  Your problem is that I changed the type of network I was using and changed the Windows seting to reflect this. Un fortunately EIS did not detect this change and change its settings accordingly. It's no use making a one off assumption at installation of a setting that can change over time and not make allowance for that.

QUOTE: "The firewall logs only display things like changes to rules. Only the
debug logs contain detailed information about what was blocked and what
was allowed."

I WAS referring to the debug logs. They did not contain the information they should have.

QUOTE: "By 2 sets of logs I assume you mean the debug logs and the regular logs?
The debug logs exist for our developers to debug problems. Since Emsisoft
Internet Security isn't marketed to users who need advanced firewall logs,
that information is only saved in the debug logs."

It's no good using that excuse with me, I've been with Emsisoft for 6 years  when it WAS marketed to users who need advanced firewall logs and they were readily availablr from the menu and they worked. If you don't want me as an 'advanced user' then say so and I'll look for something else. Your product has been dumbed down too far already anyway.

... I changed the type of network I was using and changed the Windows seting to reflect this. Un fortunately EIS did not detect this change and change its settings accordingly. It's no use making a one off assumption at installation of a setting that can change over time and not make allowance for that.

EIS is supposed to remember whether the network was configured for public or private mode, and only change when the setting is changed manually.

I WAS referring to the debug logs. They did not contain the information they should have.

It's possible that the connection was never actually opened then. It'll be up to the developers to determine what the debug logs say about the issue, so we'll have to wait and see what they have to say.

It's no good using that excuse with me, I've been with Emsisoft for 6 years  when it WAS marketed to users who need advanced firewall logs and they were readily availablr from the menu and they worked. If you don't want me as an 'advanced user' then say so and I'll look for something else. Your product has been dumbed down too far already anyway.

I assume you mean Online Armor? That was a very different product from EIS, and was marketed to a different customer base. EIS wasn't developed to be a feature-complete replacement for Online Armor. It was actually intended for the average user who just wants a simple product that is easy to use.

If you feel that another firewall product may serve your needs better, then I can convert your EIS license into an EAM license, and you can test out alternative firewalls.