itman

Temp Files Not Deleting Themselves

I have EAM temp virus sig file in my Windows/Temp directory that go back 4 days. I am getting tired on constantly deleting old Emsisoft temp files from this directory.

Problem seems to have manifested itself after I recently reinstalled EAM due to that prior GUI issue a while back.

If you double-click on the update log from the day and time that the files are from, does it show any files were not updated?

These temp files are not related to EAM signature updates.

These files are created by crashreporting tool we use and have always been created since we moved to a new version of that crashreporting tool, which is, if I recall correctly, a year ago.

Signature and program updates are saved (temporarily)  in  \windows\temp\a2temp and deleted after an update.

cheers

There was a long discussion about this some time ago.  See:

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/18603-lots-of-files-in-temp-dir-hold-open-by-a2guard/

Yes, I remember this discussion and just reviewed it again.

My issue is not all the "locked" files in C:\Windows\Temp are being deleted when they are released at subsequent boot times. EAM temp files in %AppData%\Temp on the other hand are deleted w/o issue. Actually, the files not being deleted are still in a "locked" status as noted in my above screen shot but can be manually deleted. 

If you double-click on the update log from the day and time that the files are from, does it show any files were not updated?

No. All files successfully updated.

My issue is not all the "locked" files in C:\Windows\Temp are being deleted when they are released at subsequent boot times. EAM temp files in %AppData%\Temp on the other hand are deleted w/o issue. Actually, the files not being deleted are still in a "locked" status as noted in my above screen shot but can be manually deleted.

This can happen when a2service.exe does not shut down completely/properly. It's a common issue on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 where the systems don't actually fully shut down on restarting or turning "off", since those versions of Windows actually keep services running in some sort of image (similar to the way Hibernate works from what I have been told) and then simply restores that image during the next startup and the services essentially never shut down unless you use an alternate method of restarting or powering off the computer (Command Prompt shutdown command, shutdown options in Power User Menu, etc).

It shouldn't be a major issue, but if you want to get rid of them then you can create a Scheduled Task to delete everything in the TEMP folder at boot time.

> W8/10 shutdowns...

As far as I know, even clicking 'shutdown' in the Power Options menu doesn't do a full shutdown; I think you have shift-click it.

A 'restart' does a full shutdown. 

It's the equivalent of the old cold boot.

A 'shutdown' is just a pretend one  :lol:

Stapp, a 'restart' does a full shutdown followed by a reboot.  If you don't want the reboot to happen, ie you really do want

your machine shutdown, then it's not a good choice.  /IF/ you have your machine configured to ask for a power-on password

then you could turn it off at that point, but if you don't then you've still got the same problem  how to turn the rebooted machine

off completely.

A shutdown is NOT a pretend one if you invoke it with the right options from the command-line's shutdown.exe command, OR

if on the GUI you shift-click the menu entry rather than plain click it.

Jeremy I do understand the difference between the two options (restart and shutdown) in Win 8/10.

Like I mentioned above, restart being the ''equivalent of the old cold boot'' that is, the machine starts up after having had a complete machine shutdown. That is the fact I was referring to ...nothing else :)

I've learned one thing and this is windows 7.    If I am having a problem and a reboot doesn't cure, which happens on occastion, I do a shutdown and once down, I turn off the power switch on the back of the machine.    That is a full shutdown, and nothing can continue running, and it often cures what a reboot doesn't.

Interesting discussion on Win shutdown ...............

First, my sig notes I use Win 7.

Second, I do a full power down of PC each evening.

Don't get me wrong, I do love EAM. However, updating has been an issue ever since I have used the product which has been a long time. Let's say it's a bit "chaotic." The complete database download of signatures on each update for starters. That might have something to do with the way BitDefender does things, but it's akin to "using stone age tools to build a modern day solution."

As far as creating a scheduled task to correct the issue by deleting everything in the Temp directory. It really is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

On this topic, one other thing that doesn't work right is the update scheduling feature. I don't want EAM to update before 9 AM EST - with no exceptions. Sometimes this restriction works, sometimes it doesn't. The reason for this restriction is EAM updating locks up my PC when it does so immediately after the first cold boot of the day. And yes, I have reduced the number of simultaneous connections to one. The update process still opens 30+ outbound ports searching for a hit from Emsisoft's content provider server.

... The complete database download of signatures on each update for starters. ...

EAM only downloads the changes to the database since the last update, unless there have been more than 50 changes to the database since the last time updates were downloaded. The full database is over 170 MB, which is a rather slow download for many people. If the computer has been off for more than 18-20 hours, then this could cause entire files to need to be downloaded, however that can vary as the amount of database updates will vary based on when things are added to it.

As far as creating a scheduled task to correct the issue by deleting everything in the Temp directory. It really is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

It's just a workaround for the issue. There's no way to stop those seemingly random temp files. They're being created by a third-party crash reporting tool, and we don't have any control over the temp files it creates. That being said, those files do serve an important purpose, and are important for crash reports to contain the proper debugging information.

On this topic, one other thing that doesn't work right is the update scheduling feature. I don't want EAM to update before 9 AM EST - with no exceptions. Sometimes this restriction works, sometimes it doesn't. The reason for this restriction is EAM updating locks up my PC when it does so immediately after the first cold boot of the day. And yes, I have reduced the number of simultaneous connections to one. The update process still opens 30+ outbound ports searching for a hit from Emsisoft's content provider server.

Would it be possible to get debug logs for these issues? Here's the instructions for getting debug logs:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on your desktop.
  • In the 4 little gray boxes at the bottom, move your mouse into the one that says Support, and click anywhere in that gray box.
  • At the bottom, turn on the option that says Enable advanced debug logging.
  • Either click on Overview in the menu at the top, or close the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, open Emsisoft Anti-Malware again, and click on the gray box for Support again.
  • Click on the button that says Send an email.
  • Select the logs in the left that show today's dates.
  • Fill in the e-mail contact form with your name, your e-mail address, and a description of what the logs are for (if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message).
  • If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  • Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.
Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

Please note that if you have a lot of debugs logs, then you should not send all of them. There is a size limit, and currently there is no error if the message is rejected due to the size being too large. Normally we only need one copy of the 4 or 5 different logs that have been saved after the time you reproduced the issue (the list shows what time each log was saved). Those logs have the following names:

• Security Center
  • Protection Service
  • Real-Time Protection
  • Firewall
  • Logs database (contains the logs you can view in Emsisoft Anti-Malware by clicking on Logs at the top of the window).

Would it be possible to get debug logs for these issues? Here's the instructions for getting debug logs:

I'll activate logging this evening before I shutdown the PC. Then disable logging after the EAM update following tomorrow's cold boot. Then forward the logs as instructed.

They're being created by a third-party crash reporting tool, and we don't have any control over the temp files it creates.

Suggestion - get Bitdefender to "clean up their act" and properly delete the files. A good start would be to create a scheduled task as was previously suggested to do so.

Suggestion - get Bitdefender to "clean up their act" and properly delete the files. A good start would be to create a scheduled task as was previously suggested to do so.

It has nothing to do with BitDefender. We only use their scan engine and database. The TEMP files are being created by crash logging tool that's been integrated into our programs, so that we get reports when our software crashes (configurable in the Privacy settings of course).

Troubleshooting temp file issue appears to be resolved as of last EAM release update. Thanks! Blazing fast Emsisoft response as always. :thumbs: