Hiballer

EAM Shows NO protection.

Update:

After running three different anti-malware scans, and a directed scan at boot time, I managed to go back into the green with all my protection. It did take 2 boot sequences, though.

What mystifies me is that, according to my Event Log, EAM protection stopped at just after 1540 (local - ET). I was on my computer at the time. There were NO popups warning me of this even though I have Windows 7 set to notify me if EAM goes offline or quits. EAM's teeny little notification icon had changed to red, but it is so small that I never noticed it until I went to temporarily disable protection for a game install from DVD. That's when I noticed that a lot of options were greyed out that were normally active. When I popped the main window up, you can see what I got. The three individual services were completely greyed out and the "start ...." box would not allow a click.

A suggestion: When EAM fails for any reason, I suggest that the notification area icon go TOTALLY red. Lose the shield with the tiny red center and make the notification really stand out. For that matter, I could go for a totally GREEN icon when all is running right. My vision is nowhere near what it should be since I am 73 years old and my screen resolution is 1600x900 for gaming.

Was this temporary failure normal procedure, or did the update requiring a restart mess something up that cleared on my reboot?

Normally, my machine runs 24/7/365, so unless I am asked to reboot, I don't.

No reply is actually necessary unless someone can shed some light on this, or even add a "me too" post.

Thanks,

Bill

It's possible that something was wrong with the Emsisoft Protection Platform driver immediately following the update (perhaps a file wasn't properly replaced after the first reboot).

Windows is supposed to display one of its "balloon notifications" when all of the Guards in EAM are off. It's possible that there's something wrong with the Action Center, or perhaps something is wrong with the data that tells Windows that EAM is installed. You can test to see if it is working by turning the Guards off manually (all three need to be off for the notification to be shown).

Thanks for the response, Arthur. Right after everything came back up in the green, I checked with my Action Center. I know is wasn't me, but somehow the notification request if A/V stops was not set. MS has a habit of seemingly random changes in settings following one of their massive monthly updates. I think this may have fallen into that category. I turned it back on and tested it as you say. I got an immediate popup from Action Center that my A/V needed to be turned on.

I know that EAM's notification icon is small, but perhaps it could "bloom" when something goes wrong. I'm thinking of when an aircraft transponder switches to Emergency. The TCA's scopes then go bold for that plane's trace. Just a thought.

All seems well now. It was a bit worrying at first, but I double-checked against anything nasty residing in the boot block or in my login profile before rebooting. I routinely check for any strange directories in my UserData or Temp directories.

Bill

I'm glad to hear that things are OK now.

I've gone ahead and passed your suggestion on to our QA Manager.