plat1098

Firefox 46.0 issue

Hi!

Installed above and experienced a degrade of the browser overall.  Then, discover that HitmanPro-Alert is once again involved in the issue.  I don't know if that's been handled completely, maybe partially.

For better Firefox performance, I have to disable the EIS Surf Protection.  This was a non-issue with previous Firefox versions.  Can you say when Surf Protection can be re-enabled without choppy, slower browsing?

Besides, the EIS interface now looks crummy, not my favorite color combination.

plat1098

I am also experiencing Firefox 46 slow-down (and high memory usage over time). I haven't tried the above, but these links from Wilders (the second mentions Emsisoft) may be relevant.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discussion-thread.324841/page-389#post-2585202

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discussion-thread.324841/page-389#post-2585228

Fabian - Surfright are attempting to find solutions, but is it possible that EIS/EAM is causing Firefox 46 to slow down? Have you been in touch with them?

Hi paulderdash:  sorry, I just logged on--yes, though for me the inconsistent webpage loading, prolonged loading and unsmooth browser function have eased a little but it's still apparent. Just now Firefox issued another update on the heels of its last one and EIS flagged the installing process, snip below. That's never happened before and indicates to me there's some issues there, maybe?

When version 46 was first installed not even a week ago, Firefox crashed immediately.  In this case, it was due to something with HitmanPro Alert, though that hasn't happened since. 

post-41660-0-94102400-1462312412_thumb.png
Download Image

Edit to add:  thank you for the links, that explains a little bit more.  

Just now Firefox issued another update on the heels of its last one and EIS flagged the installing process, snip below. That's never happened before and indicates to me there's some issues there, maybe?

That's actually normal. Most users don't see it though, because new versions of Firefox become trusted in our Anti-Malware Network so quickly that the odds are seeing alerts for them are pretty low.

Based on what was mentioned in the forum posts that paulderdash linked to, it sounds like the only way around this for the time being is to add Firefox's processes to the whitelist in EIS. I'll put instructions for adding Process exclusions below:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security from the icon on the desktop.
  • Click Protection.
  • Select File Guard in the menu at the top.
  • On the right side, roughly in the middle, click on the Manage whitelist button.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and select Process (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the gray box below Item to make a button with three dots (...) appear, and then click the ... button.
  • Navigate to the directory where the files you wish to exclude are located, and double-click on one of them to add it.
  • Repeat the last 3 steps as needed to add each file to the exclusions list.
  • Click the OK button at the bottom when done, and close Emsisoft Internet Security.

Hello:  thank you for the whitelisting advice but it turns out, the issue was somewhat better with Firefox 47.0 and then got really good with latest Windows update, maybe KB3149135?  Hope I don't jinx it.

So OK but now after EIS installed some modules, I get this:

post-41660-0-47956300-1465948202_thumb.png
Download Image

I hope you don't mind my asking questions now and then, simply because I seem to be blundering into one onerous situation after another, and every little bit helps!  Is there any compromise to EIS in general or is this just confined to a log-glitch?

Thank you!

... Is there any compromise to EIS in general or is this just confined to a log-glitch?

In the other case of this issue I have dealt with, it appeared to be just an issue with displaying the log data. At least as far as I could tell the database the logs were stored in was OK. We have a bug report open on this issue.

The issue corrected itself.  The concern was that still-relevant signatures or other modules were wiped out, leaving only the most recently updated items in place. :mad:

OK, well everything seems OK currently.  :)

Add:  Sorry, had to dump HitmanPro-Alert due to its support driver getting stuck with Emsisoft and wreaking major havoc, causing me to get the support desk pronto. I see people here and there have both installed and everything is great, but I'm not feeling it.   If somebody can tell me when it's "safe" to have both installed at the same time again (if ever), I would greatly appreciate that. Probably too risky, right?  

The concern was that still-relevant signatures or other modules were wiped out, leaving only the most recently updated items in place. :mad:

If any part of the database were missing, it would be redownloaded by the updater the next time it checked for updates.

Add:  Sorry, had to dump HitmanPro-Alert due to its support driver getting stuck with Emsisoft and wreaking major havoc, causing me to get the support desk pronto. I see people here and there have both installed and everything is great, but I'm not feeling it.   If somebody can tell me when it's "safe" to have both installed at the same time again (if ever), I would greatly appreciate that. Probably too risky, right?

I'm not aware of any current issues with HitmanPro.Alert and our software. Were you able to try exclusions to see if they helped?

Sorry, this kind of veers away from Firefox, so if you want to move this, I totally understand.

Is it possible the previous items actually did get wiped out and then reload with a subsequent update?  That would have me reconfiguring my update time slot to every hour again if so. This is pretty concerning, who wants to be without any part of EIS databases for even a minute?

OK, well if you haven't heard anything recently about any HMP-A/EIS conflicts, I'll risk installing the Alert again, though I thought the death grip between the orphaned HMP-A driver and EIS pretty much killed my machine-- not exaggerating.  I had the fully updated 373 build at the time with a current EIS, this shouldn't have happened!

Please provide instructions on how to exclude one from the other so I'll have this for future reference.  EIS support advised against this combination, however--do you agree? EMET seems to have some shortcomings recently with flash player, so I'm leaning back toward HMP-A, albeit cautiously.

Sorry, this kind of veers away from Firefox, so if you want to move this, I totally understand.

It's your topic. I don't really care one way or the other. ;)

Is it possible the previous items actually did get wiped out and then reload with a subsequent update?  That would have me reconfiguring my update time slot to every hour again if so. This is pretty concerning, who wants to be without any part of EIS databases for even a minute?

The possibility of such a thing happening is extremely remote. Of course, the amount of data downloaded is logged in the Update logs, although if you can't read them then they may not be of much use.

Please provide instructions on how to exclude one from the other so I'll have this for future reference.  EIS support advised against this combination, however--do you agree? EMET seems to have some shortcomings recently with flash player, so I'm leaning back toward HMP-A, albeit cautiously.

I'd expect EMET to have more issues with our software than HitmanPro.Alert, especially since SurfRight is one of our partners (they resell EAM and I'm fairly certain they still use our scan engine in HitmanPro).

As for exclusions, with EIS I recommend adding HitmanPro.Alert's folder to the whitelist as a Folder exclusion, and its executables to the whitelist as Process exclusions.

Here's some instructions on adding a Folder exclusion in Emsisoft Internet Security:

• Click Protection.
  • On the right side, roughly in the middle, click on the Manage whitelist button.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and select Folder (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the gray box below Item to make a button with three dots (...) appear, and then click the ... button.
  • Navigate to the directory you wish to exclude, select it, and click OK at the bottom to add it.
  • Click the OK button at the bottom when done, and close Emsisoft Internet Security.

Here are instructions on adding processes to the whitelist in Emsisoft Internet Security:
  • Click Protection.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and select Process (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Navigate to the directory where the files you wish to exclude are located, and double-click on one of them to add it.
  • Repeat the last 3 steps as needed to add each file to the exclusions list.