InfoSec

Google Chrome hangs when opening after installation of EIS

Google Chrome hangs when opening after installation of EIS. No page will load. I have a reproducible problem with Google Chrome (latest version) crashing every time I open it (unusable). I recently installed EIS v11 (latest update). I also have HitmanPro.Alert installed (3.1.9 build 370). I wondered if that could be a compatibility issue. I am using the x64 version of Chrome on Windows 10 Home 64-bit build 10586.318. I tried disabling mitigations in HitmanPro before posting here.

I switched over from ESS 9 but was thorough and made sure it was uninstalled > rebooted prior to installing EIS 11.

Any other users having this issue?

Edit: I uninstalled HitmanPro.Alert and Rebooted. The problem still exists.

Is the Google Chrome that hangs the same version of Chrome that crashes?  

Is the crash something that also happened before you installed EIS?

Do you have other browsers on W10 (eg Edge?), and if so does that work?

Does other internet activity, if you do any, work?

If you look in the following folder, are there any minidumps from around the time the crashes occurred?

C:\Windows\Minidump
If so, you can right-click on them, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder to ZIP the files (it may need to save the zipped files on your Desktop if it doesn't have permission to save them in the Minidump folder). You can attach those zipped minidumps to a reply by clicking on the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type your reply on the forums to access the attachment controls.

Ok, I have Edge, IE 11, Firefox 46.0.1, and Google Chrome 50 (whatever the latest minor updates were 50.x.xxx.x). No other internet problems, other browsers working well. Problem occurred after installing EIS 11.7.0.6394. I will look for Minidump files. Is there a more private way to send them (do they contain PII etc)?

You could send them as a PM (private message) to GT500; to do that hover the mouse over his name (at the top lefthand part of one of his posts) and choose 'Send Message'.  When the simple editor opens up a window for you to write that message, click on 'Use full editor' at the bottom of that pane.  The editor that opens up has options for attaching files just to that private message.

A Private Message would be fine. You can also send them via e-mail to support@emsisoft.com (just be sure to include a link to this topic if you do).