Balfazar

CLOSED Major problems with 5.0 update

I believe I am having some serious issues with the 5.0 update, about 2 weeks ago I started experiencing the following issues with my PC:

-I leave my PC on overnight and most mornings when I wake up it is now frozen, not a hard lock as I can use numlock, and I can see what was on the screen when it was frozen (including the clock which also freezes) but Windows (XP) is completely inoperable. When I rebooted I would notice that the startup process for a2 would lag tremendously.

-Embedded Youtube videos would freeze for a second at various points during playback and when I minimized from full screen my browser would lag terribly for a few seconds. By being very quick with task manager when the video starts lagging I would see that there was a spike in CPU usage for a2service.exe. Then recently I had a hard lockup (no numlock keys, sound looping) while watching one full screen.

-My Outlook Express would not close properly, when I closed it it would linger on the screen for a few seconds and the process would not be removed from my task list even after the GUI closed.

So I've spent the last few weeks doing hardware scans, disabling background processes, downgrading my versions of Flash and Java... to no avail. Then I started to suspect a2 due to the processor spike during Youtube playback and this was almost confirmed when I saw that the 5.0 update occurred right around when these problems started. I've since disabled a2 completely and the problems have vanished. Any ideas? At this point I would love to be able to just downgrade to an older version which I had no problems with.

Hi Balfazar, welcome to the forum

Please provide more detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

I reported to the developers the issue with the system freezing after waking up from Stand By already. That is not happening every time though.

{added #1} despite those are different system functions , pleas add whether you are using "Hibernation" (it's disadled here).

As for videos I cannot see the symptoms you described

Most likely more information will be needed in addition to the system info as above

{added #2} please state your settings in File Guard. Do yo have "Additional... created or modified" set?

My regards

P.S. I am not using Outlook Express on that PC so I cannot comment on that at all.

I believe I am having some serious issues with the 5.0 update, about 2 weeks ago I started experiencing the following issues with my PC:

-I leave my PC on overnight and most mornings when I wake up it is now frozen, not a hard lock as I can use numlock, and I can see what was on the screen when it was frozen (including the clock which also freezes) but Windows (XP) is completely inoperable. When I rebooted I would notice that the startup process for a2 would lag tremendously.

-Embedded Youtube videos would freeze for a second at various points during playback and when I minimized from full screen my browser would lag terribly for a few seconds. By being very quick with task manager when the video starts lagging I would see that there was a spike in CPU usage for a2service.exe. Then recently I had a hard lockup (no numlock keys, sound looping) while watching one full screen.

-My Outlook Express would not close properly, when I closed it it would linger on the screen for a few seconds and the process would not be removed from my task list even after the GUI closed.

So I've spent the last few weeks doing hardware scans, disabling background processes, downgrading my versions of Flash and Java... to no avail. Then I started to suspect a2 due to the processor spike during Youtube playback and this was almost confirmed when I saw that the 5.0 update occurred right around when these problems started. I've since disabled a2 completely and the problems have vanished. Any ideas? At this point I would love to be able to just downgrade to an older version which I had no problems with.

I have experienced the same problem.

I have had some improvement by eliminating all System files from Background Guard. I also have had some improvement by running Scandisk twice.(Right-click on the C-Drive icon, Click on Properties, click on tools, click on both boxes, 'check disk for errors'). I also have had some improvement by eliminating the clutter of a poor OEM uninstall of Iolo System Mechanic. I can stop it from freezing up completely by disabling Background Guard. It may be a conflict with Norton. It began as soon as the 5.0 update was installed.

My machine also began freezing up after installing the 5.0 update. I'm using a Windows XP OS, on an older Gateway w/Intel P4 'hyper threading' CPU.

I have had some improvement by eliminating all System files from Background Guard. I also have had some improvement by running Scandisk twice.(Right-click on the C-Drive icon, Click on Properties, click on tools, click on both boxes, 'check disk for errors'). I also have had some improvement by eliminating the clutter of a poor OEM uninstall of Iolo System Mechanic. I can stop it from freezing up completely by disabling Background Guard. It may be a conflict with Norton. It began as soon as the 5.0 update was installed.

Although its been recommended that I turn off all Norton real time operations, Norton allows me to turn-off all Norton background operations when Anti-malware is running (i.e. all the time), and this appears to have solved the problem, and allows me to use Norton as a backup to Anti-malware in the event malware was attempting to disable my frontline Anti-malware.

Hi A-squared-2,

Thanks for replying to my PM and adding info about the system, but unfortunately that is not all that is required according to the referred Posting Rules Sticky

In addition please add whether you are accepting beta updates or you are using the stable version

I'm glad that the advice regarding disabling Norton real-time resident worked

That can be very helpful to other users

Can you please add what version of the Symantec product is currently in place?

My regards

Hi A-squared-2,

Thanks for replying to my PM and adding info about the system, but unfortunately that is not all that is required according to the referred Posting Rules Sticky

In addition please add whether you are accepting beta updates or you are using the stable version

I'm glad that the advice regarding disabling Norton real-time resident worked

That can be very helpful to other users

Can you please add what version of the Symantec product is currently in place?

My regards

So I hope this is helpful to my earlier posts. My OS is Windows XP home, version 2002, SP3, on a Intel 486 CPU. I'm running Norton Internet Security 2010, Emsisoft Antimalware, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free. Ad-Aware's real-time protection is disabled. Norton IS-2010 is also the Firewall. I am not using beta versions.

My problem with overnight freeze-ups, similar to those described by Balfazar in his May 22nd posting, as well as intermittent system freeze-ups, is definitely due to a conflict with Norton's real-time protection that did not exist with the previous version of Anti-malware. Although Norton in theory allows you to shut down all Norton background activity when specified programs are operating (what Norton calls "Quiet mode", at: Settings, Miscellaneous Settings, Quit Mode on detection of, User Specified programs, configure), Norton still wants to run some background scans at which time my system freezes. So either all Norton real-time activity must be shut down or Anti-malware background Guard has to be disabled. For my system, this seems to be the fix.

Thanks for additional info, A-squared-2

As it was established that is highly unrecommended having 2 AVs with real-time residents.

Conflicts are almost inevitable; system performance suffers; Anyway you have to disable one of them when performing (any) manual or scheduled scan of the substantial size.

Every new version (update/upgrade) can bring its surprises. That is a nature of how such Software(s) Packages are implemented & Emsisoft basically should not be blamed alone.

In some cases clashes are resolved if 2 parties are working together, knowing the the potential area of a area of a conflict.

Despite you mentioned that disabling Norton (talking about AV component only, since the firewall part most likely can be left alone) gives a positive result, you did not answer the question as in {added #2}

What I mean is: - it may be possible to leave “onExecution” only by EAM … and in this case “onAccess” functionality left for Symantec.

At least the latter combination is worth trying as a test, rather than completely disabling EAM Guard & consequently all other layers of protection it offers

My regards