Semetery

Import Settings Problems

Hey there,

So I recently uninstalled EIS to try a program and before uninstalling, I backed up all my user settings. After reinstalling a few minutes ago, I tried importing my previous files and none of them would do anything. All of my rules are just gone and that is absolutely disheartening, I've spent a lot of time setting them up properly to my tastes. Also, I kept getting an alert about a connection, asking me 'Allow - block - etc' but EIS would freeze without telling me what was trying to connect and then the computer and program both became completely useless. I had to disable startup and disable the service to uninstall and get here to post.

Why can I not restore my saved config file(s)? I'm losing time with the software here. :(

Thanks for any and all help!

Do you know which version you uninstalled, and made the backups from?   And which version did you (re)install?

If you look at the .ini files in the installation folder, probably C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Internet Security\, by right-clicking them and opening them in Notepad, do they look similar to the backed-up settings files - that is, plain text?   In my a2rules.ini, for example, there's a pair of entries (one is the 'application rule', the other a firewall rule) for Firefox, looking like:

[C:\Program Files (x86)\~M-folder\Mozilla\Firefox\firefox.exe]
Revision=4
SectionType=1
SHA1=BFD15925DCD4376358009266DD389FE595C74591
GUID={8B015EBF-C72F-499C-8BBA-C9DA2D01E889}
Action=1
Worm=0
Dialer=0
Backdoor=0
Hijacker=0
Inject=0
Downloader=0
Spyware=0
Service=0
KeyLogger=0
Startup=0
HiddenInstall=0
Virus=0
Hosts=0
Rootkit=0
BrowserSettings=0
Debugger=0
RemoteControl=0
DirectDiskAccess=0
SystemPolicies=0
Exploit=0
CryptoMalware=0
Updated=1

[FirewallRules_8B015EBFC72F499C8BBAC9DA2D01E889_D114142AE71E414AB74AA81FCC436D97]
Revision=1
SectionType=2
Name=Autorule
Index=0
Type=APP
Protocol=TCP
Resolution=ALLOW
Direction=OUT
NetworkType=ANY
ObjectName=C:\Program Files (x86)\~M-folder\Mozilla\Firefox\firefox.exe
Enabled=0

Never mind the actual values listed there... do your backed-up files have entries that look somewhat like that?

Why can I not restore my saved config file(s)? I'm losing time with the software here. :(

Lets try installing the latest beta version, and see if that resolves the issue:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

Thanks for the replies! I just now got around to doing both and yes, the ini files look as they should. My rules one, for example, is a big long file with all the rules I had previously set.

I then updated via the beta channel as described and still, I can't get my rules to import. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong! I literally reinstalled, updated, checked the ini files and then tried to import my previous backup to no avail.

Has the backup been edited? How large is it (file size and number of lines in the file)?

I've confirmed the issue, collected some debug information, and am sending it to our QA Manager.

• Upvote 1

You're welcome. Hopefully it won't be long before our developers are able to take a look at the issue. ;)

• Upvote 1

I really hope that I don't sound ungrateful or anything but I've been using another product while waiting for some sort of fix for this one and I really don't want to. I understand it takes time to fix things but I bought EIS (and am losing days on said purchase) because, to me, it is 100% second to none. I love it, the behavior blocker and detections are just incredible and I miss that simple, safe feeling!

I suppose I can reinstall it and resetup all my rules but I had a lot configured...

If you want, when we have the issue fixed and you reinstall EIS, you can send me a Private Message with your license key and I can extend the expiration date to make up for the time that you were unable to use it.

I don't want to be a pain or anything, I did end up having to grab another security suite along the way so it isn't like I have nothing I can use in the meantime. EIS is just my hands down favorite and I understand that nothing is 100% perfect all the time. Thanks for all that you all do, the support here is incredible so it's no wonder the product is as well. :)

Hey again,

Any chance you've gotten any word about it being worked on or anything? I severely missed EIS so reinstalled and have been rebuilding rules (exhausting haha) but it's just acting up now for whatever reason. I had an error when I last uninstalled (clicked through it too quickly, unfortunately) even.

Anyway, today I paused protection to watch a video and then when I went to re-enable it, there were two icons in the tray as well as two processes running, one disabled and one enabled. Here's a screenshot, notice both the bottom right tray as well as the processes in the task manager.

10oil9e.jpg

I've been having nothing but problems and I love EIS more than other suites, hands down. But it's become unusable for me and that's killing my license and forcing me to use other software that I'd really rather not.

I'm not seeing any updates on the issue in our system. I'll contact our QA Manager and ask about it.

Anyway, today I paused protection to watch a video and then when I went to re-enable it, there were two icons in the tray as well as two processes running, one disabled and one enabled. Here's a screenshot, notice both the bottom right tray as well as the processes in the task manager.

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

Sorry for the delay. Didn't see it and came back wondering if there were any updates on the issue?

I actually have run it before, the only other software I use that does anything security or blocking ads besides EIS is AdGuard and I've uninstalled and disabled it and it made no difference, they seem to work great side by side so I'm not sure running that tool would really say anything helpful. I have Malwarebytes Anti-malware but I use it manually only, it doesn't run in the background. I keep a clean, low profile system so I can't imagine it's anything I'm doing since you could replicate it. I hope that doesn't sound rude, I just REALLY don't want to go through another reinstall until I can actually load up my saved config and not have to manually set it all up again.

I did manage to get the error after I reinstalled and uninstalled again, not sure how helpful it will be though as I don't think it's directly related to the import problem.

This error happens after I uninstall, right before it asks me to reboot:

post-42980-0-57055800-1468888766_thumb.png
Download Image

EurekaLog is supposed to automatically report crashes to us, however it might be a good idea to use Emsiclean to make sure that everything was removed. Please download Emsiclean from this link (be sure to save it on your desktop), and follow the instructions below to get me a log:

• Run the Emsiclean download that you saved on your desktop.
  • Read the disclaimer. Note that you must agree to it in order to proceed.
  • Once the scan is finished, simply exit Emsiclean, and do not remove anything.
  • A new file will be saved on your desktop with a log of what was detected. Please attach that to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.

OK, that message means that it should be safe to reinstall. I only have one recommendation before doing that. Look for the following folders, and if one of them exists make sure that the only thing inside it is a folder named "Quarantine". Anything else in it can be deleted:

C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Internet Security
C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Internet Security
After that you can download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from this link, or you can use this alternate download link if needed.

I did that, still can't import backups. :( As much as I love it, I feel very unsafe since it has crashed. Guess I'll have to wait longer.

I appreciate your help, I really do. I know things like this are trial and error.

Did you try the latest beta? I'm not sure if anything has changed in regards to Application Rules, however it's worth trying just in case.

• On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.

Yeah, I keep updated from the beta channel and the updates haven't fixed it as far as I can tell, I still can't import my backup. I've been having to use Bitdefender and Kaspersky and haven't had any crashing or restoring problems so I don't think it's my system in particular necessarily or I'd probably notice issues with other software I'd think?

It's a huge bummer but I'll keep trying in hopes that something will work eventually. I miss behavior blocker so much, it's a really nice way to deal with traffic and actions and things. Haha

Do you have Adguard installed? If so, try uninstalling it, and then reinstall EIS and let me know if you still have trouble with it.

Have you tried the new version 12 beta? I haven't had a chance to test and see if it has been fixed there or not.

Here's how to install the beta:

You can read more about version 12 at this link.

I'm using it. I couldn't import my rules but I really like the new version. It still imports my settings fine but nothing on the rules unfortunately.

I had to recreate my rules yet again. Haha

Thanks, sorry for the delay, I had given up. :( 

I miss EIS a lot (which is what caused me to remember that I left this hanging). I think my subscription has pretty much run out at this point so I don't think I could use it anymore. Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it very much nonetheless.

I'm still trying to get a status update on this. I wasn't able to find the bug report myself, so I'll have to wait and see if our QA team says whether or not we fixed it.

• Upvote 1

Okay, thanks again!

My license unfortunately expired and I can't figure out where I bought it from, I've been looking, I thought it was through a reseller but I can't even find the email. I guess I could just buy a new one but I didn't get a lot of use out of the last one honestly. I ended up installing it a while back and got another crash. I was planning to try it again but I can only do the trial now so held off for now.

Let me know if you hear anything, I've been using Comodo (which is great and free, so I'm not knocking it) but I miss the laid back simple yet very effective quality of EIS. I'll once again recreate my settings I suppose.