EAM Automatic updates aren't happening automatically

I love my stuff working great emsisoft isn't working as expected so i install 360 total security till emsisoft sort out themselves. I'm a long time user of E.A.M but i find lately it isn't functioning right.

I was watching this problem for a while before i wrote about it, this problem is deep rooted, here are some of the problems I've encountered (slow boot, corrupt files and boot corruption, pc getting hot while idle,windows repair can't repair the problem, it says turn off your antivirus it stopping windows repair which is E.A.M, emsisoft restarts just so,and the thing is no update initiated it, can't get E.A.M uninstall have to put delete epp in command to get it work, it updating when it feel like) looka look I getting really fed up and frustrated with these people look at how many beta update release, where they claim the update issues fix, when in reality it far from fix or have gotten worst. These people need to understand that when long time users of this product is affected their reputation and money is affected.

Emsisoft Anti Malware hasn't been updated for the last 13hrs,and believe me I have uninstalled and reinstall this program numerous times I give up.

We have a known issue with updating on some computers right now. Our developers are working on it. ;)

I now have version 6500 - no change.

EDIT: Version 6500 on my 64-bit machine is HOSED UP!!!!  It will NOT start File Guard and says I am only Partially Protected. Repeated restarts and one reboot have not fixed this. I am trhying to go back to the Stable Channel, but EAM will not remain running long enough for me to do that. It keeps crashing to desktop with MS asking if I want to send a report.

Whatever you did, it doesn't help.

Bill

Please try the following, and let me know if that helps:

• Uninstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Restart your computer twice.
  • Make sure that the only thing left in the EAM folder is the Quarantine folder.
  • Download and reinstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware from this link.
You can also use this alternate download link if needed.

EAM folder should be as follows:

C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware

I did this once before (in response to post #17), so is there anything different between then and now? Also, which computer do you want me to do this to, 32 or 64-bit?

BTW, The 64-bit machine managed to clear itself up after three complete reboots and a manual update that took over an hour to complete. The "Initialising" took 55 minutes and the actually update took 5 minutes.

Bill

Actually, our developers very much want debug logs from this issue. If you can't open EAM long enough to turn them on, then we'll have to do it the old-fashioned way. In order to do this, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Send the ZIP archive containing the logs to me in a Private Message.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After sending me the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.

FYI: A reinstall will downgrade you to the latest stable version rather than the beta version you have installed, and thus the new issues you reported in post #56 will be resolved. If you can get the debug logs first, then that would make our developers very happy. ;)

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the problem now. As I said, I rebooted a couple of times and it went away after the second reboot. I think that a service named "a2AntiMalware" was having trouble starting. It would begin and several seconds later it would terminate. No events were raised in my logs, however. The service is running fine now.

The only problem, which is on both machines, is the misrepresentation of the update logs from being performed correctly to incorrectly and automatic to manual.

Versions are:

32-bit = 11.9.0.6500

64-bit = 11.8.0.6486

Bill

... I think that a service named "a2AntiMalware" was having trouble starting. ...

That's the service name for a2service.exe, which is part of Emsisoft Anti-Malware (it's actually the main part that does all of the work). The problem could have been related to our EPP driver, however without debug logs we can't know for certain. If it happens again, then please be sure to let us know, and if possible debug logs would be great. If not, then we understand. ;)

32-bit machine first:

Today, after waiting in vain for an automatic update, I finally did a manual update. According to the log, updates stopped at 06/28/2016 21:16:23 and didn't get another update until I did a manual one just now (06/30/2016 17:03:21). This is build 6513. When I did the manual update, I was informed I needed to restart the software to finish the update. I did, and it took approximately 10 minutes to start File Guard. Service crashes, unfortunately, aren't logged in the Event Log, so i can't tell you why it happened. But now it is all up and running again. The last update shows as Successful, Automatic, but the rest of them (going back to 06/02/2016 are shown as Unsuccessful Manual updates. I killed the program and restarted it. All updates are now showing as Successful and Automatic except for my manual one just now. For some reason, despite my manual update just ten minutes earlier, EAM decided to do yet another update automatically. *shrug*

64-bit machine:

This one is only exhibiting the misrepresentation of update log status. This is build 6465.

Bill

The 32-bit machine stopped updating at 21:03 June 30 (last night) and has not updated since. That is one update past the one where I did a manual update on that date.

Although the same build, the 64-bit machine is still updating properly.

Bill

I certainly hope so because that 21:03 (June 30) update was the last one my 32-bit machine did automatically.

Something else you may have to look into: both machines have stopped giving me pop-up notifications that updates have been performed even though I have them set to do so. Of course, if the auto updates are not happening, I wouldn't expect to have several pop-ups queued up to notify me when I start up in the morning. But, I don't get pop-ups even on the 64-bit machine which is still updating properly.

Bill

Same version on both machines (6513).

BUT:

32-bit yelled at me today that it hadn't done updates since 06/30 @ 21:03. *shrug* Not my fault, man. It's set for every 4 hours. I did a manual update. This, of course, made all the logs go "Unsuccessful" and "Manual".

64-bit is moving right along with updates every 4 hours. Still reporting messed-up logs, but at least it IS updating.

I was just going over the debug logs I had asked you for, and if I am not mistaken they were for the issue with the update logs and not for the issue with automatic updates not running. Would you be able to get debug logs for the issue with automatic updates not running on your 32-bit machine?

To make it easier, you can tell when the next update is supposed to happen by hovering the mouse over the words "LAST UPDATE" where it tells you on Emsisoft Anti-Malware's Overview screen when the last update was.

Here's the debug log instructions again:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on your desktop.
  • In the 4 little gray boxes at the bottom, move your mouse into the one that says Support, and click anywhere in that gray box.
  • At the bottom, turn on the option that says Enable advanced debug logging.
  • Either click on Overview in the menu at the top, or close the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having (wait for the automatic updates to fail).
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, open Emsisoft Anti-Malware again, and click on the gray box for Support again.
  • Click on the button that says Send an email.
  • Select the logs in the left that show today's dates.
  • Fill in the e-mail contact form with your name, your e-mail address, and a description of what the logs are for (if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message).
  • If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  • Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.
Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

Please note that if you have a lot of debugs logs, then you should not send all of them. There is a size limit, and currently there is no error if the message is rejected due to the size being too large. Normally we only need one copy of the 4 or 5 different logs that have been saved after the time you reproduced the issue (the list shows what time each log was saved). Those logs have the following names:

• Security Center
  • Protection Service
  • Real-Time Protection
  • Firewall
  • Logs database (contains the logs you can view in Emsisoft Anti-Malware by clicking on Logs at the top of the window).

Okay. Currently, the 32-bit machine is overdue by 16 hours for an update. I killed the program (properly -- Shut down protection) and after enabling debug, restarted it. It still indicates that last update was 16 hours ago despite being set for every 4 hours. I will wait until about 5 hours has passed, send the logs, and then stop debugging.

The 64- bit machine is still perking along, but I have noticed that even though it is updating properly, I am not getting any pop-up notifications. Usually (until about two/three days ago) I would start in the morning by dismissing three or four pop-ups in a row telling me of past updates. It isn't doing that any more for some reason.

Bill

I just sent you the logs, Arthur. Then I turned off Debug mode. Last update was at 17:14 on the 4th of July, and I did it manually.

@Scoobiedoo: I'm not sure your problem is the same as mine as I can update manually just fine at any time. It is just automatic updating, and on my 32-bit machine only. And, you are using EIS and I am using EAM.

Bill

Here's something interesting. On my 64-bit machine, I went back into the Event Log and found where "a2service.exe" crashed 50 times between 20:24 and 20:39 (15 minutes) on June 23.

Text of the crash log:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          06/23/2016 20:39:03
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      COMPAK
Description:
Faulting application name: a2service.exe, version: 11.9.0.6500, time stamp: 0x576c570a
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23418, time stamp: 0x5708a857
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000bf262
Faulting process id: 0xc8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1cdb0cabee11e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2service.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 0c90f27b-39a4-11e6-af95-8c89a56c6fd9
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-24T00:39:03.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>38655</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>COMPAK</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>a2service.exe</Data>
    <Data>11.9.0.6500</Data>
    <Data>576c570a</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.23418</Data>
    <Data>5708a857</Data>
    <Data>c0000374</Data>
    <Data>00000000000bf262</Data>
    <Data>c8</Data>
    <Data>01d1cdb0cabee11e</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2service.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>0c90f27b-39a4-11e6-af95-8c89a56c6fd9</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

All 50 were identical.

Bill

I just sent you the logs, Arthur. Then I turned off Debug mode. Last update was at 17:14 on the 4th of July, and I did it manually.

Thank you. I have forwarded your logs to our developers.

For the automatic update issue, what happens if you change the settings for the update schedule? For instance, set it to every hour or every 2 hours. Does it start working? If so, does it continue to work if you change it back?

Sure have. I did that on the second try to fix this. The 32-bit is now telling me I haven't updated since 2 days ago. Once again, i will do a manual update.

64-bit is still not giving me any pop-up notifications at all.

Bill

Our developers said the debug logs didn't contain enough information. Apparently they need logs covering from a2service.exe starting to the update failing. The easiest way to do this is to use a batch file to turn debug logging on, and then restart your computer. You can download the batch file in question at this link (it is in a ZIP archive). Just open the ZIP archive it's in, and then open the batch file, and when you see a popup that looks like the following click on the Yes button:

post-18745-0-51056300-1467980771.png

You'll see a blue window with white text appear that looks like the following:

post-18745-0-68087800-1467980528.png

It's essentially a menu where you type the number of the option you want, and then press Enter. In this case you want option 1 for general debug logs. After that just exit the batch file, restart your computer, and wait for the automatic updates to fail to work. Once you're past the point where it should have automatically updated, you can turn off debug logging the traditional way (by opening Emsisoft Anti-Malware and going to Support), and then send us the debug logs.

post-18745-0-68087800-1467980528_thumb.p

post-18745-0-51056300-1467980771_thumb.p

Okay. I'll give that a try.

EDIT: Fresh computer start after running the batch file at: 1249Z. It did an automatic update at start as well as a very short scan. I will wait until 1700 or 1730Z and send the logs. I realize I could change the update interval to 1 hour, but I don't want to change anything from as it was before.

Bill

I just sent the debug files. For some reason, EAM has decided that it will update, as ordered, every 4 hours. I let it run past the first one at 1647Z and then after the second auto-update at 2047Z, I stopped logging debug and sent the files.

My computer(s) are on 24/7/365, so that may have a bearing on what happened as I rebooted this morning per your instructions. Perhaps the on-update issue is because of a computer running without being rebooted every day.

Bill

I just sent the debug files. For some reason, EAM has decided that it will update, as ordered, every 4 hours. I let it run past the first one at 1647Z and then after the second auto-update at 2047Z, I stopped logging debug and sent the files.

This may have something to do with automatic game mode. The last I heard, our developers think there maybe a bug causing it to fail to turn off once it has automatically turned on. There may also be some reasons for it to turn on that we haven't accounted for yet (obviously you only want it to turn on when running a fullscreen application that you don't want to be disturbed while using).

Well, I run a full-screen version of my Train simulator almost daily. However, there is no version of that simulator running on my 32-bit box. There aren't any full-screen items on that computer. I don't even use my browser in full-screen.

Bill

OK, if it happens again, then let me know if you were able to get logs. Our developers need to see whatever is causing the issue appear in the logs, which is why they wanted logs covering from the time your computer started to the time the problem happens.

Will do. Thanks for all the help. If this specific problem appears again, I will use this thread to report it.

I have noticed that when the day rolls over past midnight, the logs for the previous days are the ones that will now show "unsuccessful" and "manual" for their status. perhaps there is something that happens there and causes the logs to be displayed improperly. I have a feeling that log status representation is keyed to the fact I leave my computers on 24/7/365.

Bill

I have noticed that when the day rolls over past midnight, the logs for the previous days are the ones that will now show "unsuccessful" and "manual" for their status. perhaps there is something that happens there and causes the logs to be displayed improperly. I have a feeling that log status representation is keyed to the fact I leave my computers on 24/7/365.

It's possible it has something to do with the computer remaining on longer than 24 hours. It's difficult for me to say, since I can't read the debug logs.

Woke up this morning to find that my 64-bit machine (build 6513) is now failing to update. The display turned orange and told me it hadn't been updated in 2 days. The last successful update was on July 18 at 09:12:48.

My 32-bit machine stopped updating following the update on July 18 at 09:15:44.

I will enable advanced debug logging on BOTH machines and reboot to see what happens.

There is quite a coincidence that BOTH machines quit updating at nearly the same time on the same day.

Bill

Yes, that does seem rather strange. It's possible it was a local issue with your Internet service provider, or perhaps a new program update was installed. Do you still have the Beta update feed enabled? There may have been a new Behavior Blocker build that was published within the past day or so.

I doubt seriously if it was the ISP. I am with AT&T uVerse with both phone and Internet. It has been solid as a rock more months. I have never had an outage as the modem/router is on a UPS in the basement, and my entire computer room is on a 2700W UPS.. As for updates, I have Windows set to notify me when updates are necessary and I screen them by getting more information from the MS site on them, I do not allow Windows to install anything automatically. Nothing unusual has been installed program-wise. This is especially true because I rarely install the same program on both the 32-bit and the 64-bit machines.

However, I think it is significant that BOTH machines have been online and running constantly (without a reboot) for over 7 days and, like I noted, they both failed at nearly the same exact time.

Beta feed is NOT set up for either machine. I will let this run in debug mode until it fails again. It may be at least 2 days before this happens, but I'm betting it will. I will let the 64-bit machine stay in Windows even though I am working on some program development in Linux; but that can wait a bit.

Bill

It's possible that it was the connection between your local AT&T facilities and our servers. Any trouble with a router or switch along the route the data is traveling, and it can cause issues even if your ISP is providing good service.

I ran a couple of TRACERT and a PING or two to your update servers, but nothing appeared to be wrong. If it is a comms problem, it doesn't last very long I'm guessing. I have a feeling that after a couple of days my machines will begin to miss updates - perhaps both at the same time again.

Bill

Well, what do you know!!! Both my machines are now 8 hours late for updates!

The 64-bit machine quit after the last update at: 09:12:38 this morning. It is now 18:11.

The 32-bit machine quit after the last update at: 09:15:56 today.

Which set of debug logs do you want, 32, 64, or both?

I should probably add that none of my machines "sleep" or go into and sort of hibernation. I have a screensaver that runs after 5 minutes of no activity -- that's it.

Bill

Sending logs for 23 July from both 32 and 64-bit machines. I have enabled Beta updates on both machines and initiated an update. Then I will turn off advanced debug and restart EAM.

Will let you know how the Beta works out.

Bill

So far, the good news is that you may have cleared up the update logging display. The automatic updates have been right on for almost 24-hours now. I'll wait until the end of tomorrow before I post back to see if they roll over the critical 48-hour mark.

Bill

Cancel my last bit about the log display. The old problem is still there - automatic updates installed correctly being reported as incorrectly installed manual updates.

The auto updates seem to be continuing properly.

Bill

Late yesterday, Microsoft had a series of updates that required rebooting. Then, EAM did an update that required restarting EAM. So, the test to see if computer up-time is involved in the stoppage of updating EAM will be delayed a bit.

Bill