EAM Automatic updates aren't happening automatically

Another strange anomaly. Two days running, my 32-bit machine has had a EAM screen on the desktop when I turn on my monitor in the morning. It tells me there were no threats resulting from the scan. Okay, this is a good thing as the scan was done at 0115 (my time). The strange thing is that I cannot get rid of this screen. It shows on the taskbar, it shows in Task manager, but if I click the "X", it remains. I can minimize it, expand it to full screen, and I can move it around, but I cannot make it go away. If I click any of the top menu headings, the scan results go away, leaving the whole window blank except for the Menu headings across the top. None of the menu's work.

Task Manager shows it in the "Applications" tab and if I right-click and use the context menu to End Task, it will die in around ten seconds or so. All during this "playing around with the strange window", the little EAM icon on the notification area remains unfazed.

Version 6563, 32-bit.  The 64-bit seems not to have this problem. I know this thread was started for one problem, but it seems to have evolved into a sort of "testbed" for checking out versions and providing debug results. I thought this strange behavior might be interesting.

Bill

If you turn on debug logging, and then leave the computer overnight to run its scheduled scan, and then send us the debug logs in the morning after the problem with not being able to close the window has happened then I can pass them on to our developers.

Third morning in a row that I was unable to close the EAM window following my nightly scan (at 0100 local).

If I click the icon in the notification area, the window will open normally and allow me to navigate menus, but when I "close" the window, the Taskbar indicator remains. The only way I get rid of it is to "shut down protection", wait a moment, and then re-start EAM from the desktop icon.

When I attached the logs from 07/30 and 07/31 and sent them, I received this back:

"This is the mail system at host zimbra.emsisoft.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system"

This may mean they're too big. I can try and resend them if you like, but I suspect they've been overwritten by now.

Bill

EDIT: Oh, wait. Buried down in the body of the rejection email it said my emailt was too big.

It's not being overwritten, so you can still get the logs and send them manually (although I recommend turning off debug logging after reproducing the problem to prevent the logs from eating up all of your hard drive space). If you hold down the Windows key on your keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog, and then copy and paste %AllUsersProfile%\Emsisoft\Logs into the field and click OK then you can see the log files. If you can sort them by date and only send the ones from the appropriate day and time, then that would be best. If they are too big then I recommending zipping them. If you don't have anything else to ZIP files with, then 7-Zip will work.

Did it again this morning. no menus worked inside the open window, and I couldn't close it.

Another added anomaly: When I restarted EAM, the tiny icon in the notification area was missing although the main window was on the screen. When I closed the window, there was still no icon. Despite the fact that there was an automatic update only 6 minutes before, I did a manual update. After the update (which took 15 seconds) EAM flashed orange for perhaps two seconds and then went to green. The icon was now present and remained after I closed EAM. Unfortunately, I didn't have debug logging enabled. I may turn it back on tonight before I go to bed and see if the uncooperative window remains in the morning. if it does. I'll forward the appropriate logs.

The 64-bit machine is still updating normally, but it was returned to Windows 7 just last night after being in Linux mode for the last 2 days updating Ubuntu from 14.04 to 16.04.01. At first blush, it seems you may have fixed the "not updating" bug, but the incorrect reporting bug is still there in both machines.

Bill

It's possible it was trying to restart or something like that. In a case like that a memory dump would probably be more useful, however they aren't easy to get (EAM has a tendency to freeze when you try to save a memory dump).

I wondered about that and looked into the system Event Log. Nothing there would indicate that anything failed to start or terminated unexpectedly. Oddly enough, it didn't exhibit this problem this morning. Maybe it was just some temporary "thing".

Bill

I think it has stopped. I had to reboot a couple of times over the last few days and that kind of re-initializes things. Today, MS did their monthly updates which required another reboot. I'll look for it tomorrow or Thursday.

Bill

I was wrong. It happened again this morning. I will enable debug logging around 2100 (if I remember) and sent the logs in the morning.

This doesn't seem to affect my 64-bit machine, so the problem must lie in the differences in the two machines.

Bill

There are tons of differences between the two machines. My 64-bit is my gaming machine. I run FSX, MATS and Trainz on it along with a virtual machine running Win XP. I also have programming tools on it (Visual basic .NET 2012, and web site building software..

My 32-bit is my web workhorse with Thunderbird, Firefox, and a host of different writing and photo processing tools as well as a drawing tablet.

I am going to start debug logging on the 32-bit and go to bed. I'll send them in when I start up in the morning.

Bill

Didn't happen this morning. We had a rainstorm that knocked out the power. My computers ran for another 35 minutes and then did an orderly shutdown by command of the UPS. I'll try again tonight. I'm hoping it will happen and it can be captured happening.

BIll

Interesting problem tonight while setting up debug logging. I stopped EAM, but when I went to restart it, I couldn't get the icon to show in the notification area. I tried several times, but no go. Then I went to the Task manager and found that 'a2start.exe' was already running - but no icon. I ended the process and was able to start up EAM normally. Maybe I can finally capture the refusal to end tomorrow morning.

Bill

It's possible that a2start.exe had hung when it was exiting. It's hard to say for certain without a memory dump, and saving memory dumps for our processes can cause the system to freeze, so unless you're feeling adventurous I don't recommend trying it (although theoretically now that the exclusions issues are fixed you should be able to create a Process exclusion for the application you are going to save the dump with and thus prevent the freeze).

I was greeted with this when I turned on my monitor this morning:

eam_14.jpg

There is no clue as to what this error pertains to, or when it happened. All I can surmise is that it isn't a good thing. Sadly, I didn't have logging turned on. I'd leave it on all the time except it creates such large files I can't email them even when zipped.

Bill

I have a feeling that a memory dump would be needed for the invalid pointer operation error, although I can't be 100% certain. Judging from the title on the dialogs, the error messages should be from a2start.exe, however it's difficult to tell from just a screenshot.

I've enabled debug logging and it will remain enabled as long as the computer is running. If I have to send a log file, then I can break it up into zippable chunks if necessary and attach them to a post or email them. I really want to get to the bottom of this for my own peace of mind. I have faith that this will be solved because I've just apid for another year.

Bill

I have had debug logging on all day. I can zip up and send them to you using the EAM interface if you want me to.

The errors, I think, may be stemming from the problem documented in my other thread concerning Firefox. I will make a longer post over there.

BIll

... If I have to send a log file, then I can break it up into zippable chunks if necessary and attach them to a post or email them. ...

Don't attach them to a post on the forums. The logs, at least for a2service, will contain your license information.

I have had debug logging on all day. I can zip up and send them to you using the EAM interface if you want me to.

They may be too large. Lets concentrate on the Firefox issue for now if you believe they are related, as we can get smaller logs that way.

• 2 weeks later...

This particular error hasn't surfaced in over a week so I think it safe to say we can "close" this thread.

On both of my machines (32/64) I have removed Version 11 and installed Version 12 BETA, with debug logging enabled. I did this yesterday. So far, things have been behaving extremely well.

Bill