Barthez

Automatic Updates sometimes not triggering

Hi,

I run EIS in beta channel and I'm currently using EIS 11.8.0.6451. Since latest update (one buffing up Automatic Game mode) I experience problems with EIS not triggering updates when it should (although I do not know if AGM is culprit here). Usual situation involves my leaving my PC on, but unattended for longer periods of time. Since I run in High Performance Power Option mode and don't use systems sleep function, Emsisoft IS would normally update itself while I'm away and screen is off. That is not what is happening recently though, just now I come back to my PC and it didn't update itself for past eight hours.

On the other hand, if I would to run manual update, then automatic ones should trigger normally from now on (I had similar situation yesterday, and that's whats happened). I run diagnostic batch file if anyone would be interested :)

post-2863-0-36865500-1464629688_thumb.png
Download Image post-2863-0-51945400-1464629713_thumb.png
Download Image

Yes, indeed I have, but is should only run for a couple of minutes before my screen turns off. It still does not explain why EIS wouldn't update itself after I start using my PC. Yesterday I had to trigger manual update in order for AU to start working normally.

If there is anything I can do to help solve this please feel free to ask!

I can confirm I'm still seeing the same thing w/6457. Ran a fullscreen app, no updates occurred while it was running. Waited for the update interval to pass after closing the app and no automatic update occurred. EIS logs show it hasn't even invoked an automatic update in almost 2 hours at this point.

*EDIT* I verified that I could reproduce it by doing the following:

1. Set EIS to 30 minute update interval, to avoid having to wait an hour. IMO, I think it should probably just execute update/missed tasks immediately after leaving "game mode".

2. Ran a fullscreen application (different one than yesterday just to rule that out) for 60 minutes.

3. Quit the fullscreen app.

4. Left my PC on the desktop (no screensaver or anything)

After approximately 2h30m it still hasn't updated.

It looks like it tried to kickoff an update, but hung up. The log doesn't indicate it started an update, but the product UI shows this:

post-24661-0-04880300-1464813042_thumb.png
Download Image

I let it go for 10 mins or so, but it never finished. When I clicked to cancel, the UI showed "cancelling" until I rebooted several minutes later.

*EDIT again*

On build 6465 now, still see the same issue. Same repro steps.

OK, lets get some debug logs so that I can pass them on to our developers:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Emsisoft Internet Security from the icon on your desktop.
  • In the 4 little gray boxes at the bottom, move your mouse into the one that says Support, and click anywhere in that gray box.
  • At the bottom, turn on the option that says Enable advanced debug logging.
  • Either click on Overview in the menu at the top, or close the Emsisoft Internet Security window.
  • Launch a fullscreen application, close it, and then wait for one or two update periods to make sure the logs include the failed updates.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, open Emsisoft Internet Security again, and click on the gray box for Support again.
  • Click on the button that says Send an email.
  • Select the logs in the left that show today's dates.
  • Fill in the e-mail contact form with your name, your e-mail address, and a description of what the logs are for (if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message).
  • If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  • Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.
Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

Please note that if you have a lot of debugs logs, then you should not send all of them. There is a size limit, and currently there is no error if the message is rejected due to the size being too large. Normally we only need one copy of the 4 or 5 different logs that have been saved after the time you reproduced the issue (the list shows what time each log was saved). Those logs have the following names:

• Security Center
  • Protection Service
  • Real-Time Protection
  • Firewall
  • Logs database (contains the logs you can view in Emsisoft Internet Security by clicking on Logs at the top of the window).

I ended up uninstalling (2x reboot) and reinstalling and updating to the latest beta build without importing my settings and it's working correctly now. I uninstalled and reinstalled again, and imported my settings and it didn't work correctly after. I'm not sure if there's something about importing settings from the stable build into this beta that might cause issues, but that seems to be the case.

Are you update settings configured the same way in your saved configuration as they are in the default installation?

To round things up on my end: my problems gone away with the 6465 build. I'm running it for two days now and everything seems to be in order. If I'll stumble upon any more bugs of this nature I'll let you now.

m0unds, thanks for the test case and I hope you problem will be solved too.

Are you update settings configured the same way in your saved configuration as they are in the default installation?

Yeah, I exported the settings while EIS was set for beta updates. Are there any plans to make EIS/EAM more immediately trigger an update after a prolonged period of time in game mode? It seems like it only triggers after the configured update interval passes after leaving game mode (i.e. if you're in game mode for 3 hours and your interval is set to 1 hour, you'll go 3 hours without updates)

To round things up on my end: my problems gone away with the 6465 build. I'm running it for two days now and everything seems to be in order. If I'll stumble upon any more bugs of this nature I'll let you now.

m0unds, thanks for the test case and I hope you problem will be solved too.

Mine seems fine now. not entirely sure why it kept failing to update, but I have a feeling it had something to do with my imported settings.

Are there any plans to make EIS/EAM more immediately trigger an update after a prolonged period of time in game mode? It seems like it only triggers after the configured update interval passes after leaving game mode (i.e. if you're in game mode for 3 hours and your interval is set to 1 hour, you'll go 3 hours without updates)

I would believe we have plans to further tweak the triggers for the automatic Game Mode feature. If we don't think it's working as we expect it to, then we will more than likely make some changes to it.